PDA

View Full Version : Bars and stem for Moser build?

farmallguy
10-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm gathering parts for the Leader Ax and will be using a 1" quill stem and 26mm bars. The shifters I'm using(Ultegra 6700) route both cables along the bars. Do I have to use grooved bars which don't seem common? Do you know of a brand that has older style bars compatible with newer components? How have some of you approached this? I want to use silver, not black, components. Thanks Jack

Here's a pic(I hope)

bicycletricycle
10-11-2011, 07:30 PM
cinelli XA, cinelli 64 or 66 or eubios

ultraman6970
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
If that bike was mine and I had money I would put campagnolo athena 11 silver to it.

As for the stem, maybe a cinelli r1?

Autobutcher
10-11-2011, 09:47 PM
If that bike was mine and I had money I would put campagnolo athena 11 silver to it.

As for the stem, maybe a cinelli r1?

Agree on silver Athena. I think A 1R stem is a must. If you do go the Shimano route older Dura-Ace with the hidden bolt would work too.

As far as bars go what kind of shape do you like?

ultraman6970
10-11-2011, 10:53 PM
The issue with the R1 is that the handlebar has to be 26.4. Other stuff wont work that I know of.

Fivethumbs
10-12-2011, 01:06 AM
If I remember correctly the Jolly Cage cycling team rode Moser Leader AXs with 8 speed Shimano STI. So anything goes as far as components. On another note. I have been into road bikes since the 80s and I have had exactly one stem crack on me....a 1R. Plenty of XAs and 1As, ITMs, 3TTTs, Nittos without issue.

farmallguy
10-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Why Athena, I would have preferred chorus but like you said, if I had the money? And all my other bikes have Shimano so I have the tools for it and can swap some stuff between bikes.

I do like the newer bars that are flatter on top but don't know if I'm sold on the lower ergo bend yet. I rode alot in the mid 70s and started riding on the road again a couple years ago so I'm still getting up to speed on what parts are compatible.

Good info though, looking at Cinelli, 3T and Nitto right now.

ultraman6970
10-12-2011, 06:01 AM
The reason of athena is because it comes in silver, chorus is carbon. Well it was just an idea for the OP thats all.

That frame is in my ltop 10 list.

:)

farmallguy
10-12-2011, 06:41 AM
I am going all silver on it, even wheels. But my budget is limited so even though it deserves all Campy it will be silver Ultegra and I found some new Ksyrium Elite silver wheels on sale for under $400.

spacemen3
10-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Cool, I'm in the process of rebuilding my old Leader AX right now, too. Any of the 3ttt Ergopower alloy handlebars — Forma, Mutant, Prima, Morphe — have both brake and shifter cable grooves. Keep us posted. :beer:

oldpotatoe
10-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm gathering parts for the Leader Ax and will be using a 1" quill stem and 26mm bars. The shifters I'm using(Ultegra 6700) route both cables along the bars. Do I have to use grooved bars which don't seem common? Do you know of a brand that has older style bars compatible with newer components? How have some of you approached this? I want to use silver, not black, components. Thanks Jack

Here's a pic(I hope)

TTT stem, like a Synthesis and Merckx bend Competizione handlebars.

oliver1850
10-12-2011, 08:07 PM
You don't have to use grooved bars to run the cables under the tape. You have a bit more flexibility on cable placement with ungrooved bars. By positioning the housings high, you can make a wider, flatter top bar surface. This is a TTT Gran Prix, which has less drop than the Competition. Stem is a TTT Synthesis, I think.

farmallguy
10-13-2011, 04:04 AM
Do you have to use adhesive tape to hold them in place?

jmoore
10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
This is what I do as well. I run Nitto Noodles and Nitto Technomic stems on both my steel Merckx. I don't notice the cable under the wrap, and yes you need to tape the cable housing to the bars in a few spots before you wrap them.

TTT stuff is great too. I have similar bars and stem on my fixie.

You don't have to use grooved bars to run the cables under the tape. You have a bit more flexibility on cable placement with ungrooved bars. By positioning the housings high, you can make a wider, flatter top bar surface. This is a TTT Gran Prix, which has less drop than the Competition. Stem is a TTT Synthesis, I think.

farmallguy
10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm sorry, I should have said 'adhesive bar tape' on top to hold the cables in place?

Joachim
10-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I use a few bits of electrical beneath the handlebar tape. My handlebar tape is non-adhesive (HandleBra).

oliver1850
10-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Once you have the housings taped in place you should be able to use whatever bar tape you like, adhesive or not. You might want to use more tape to secure the housings if you're using a non-adhesive bar tape.

jmoore
10-13-2011, 12:52 PM
same here

I use a few bits of electrical beneath the handlebar tape. My handlebar tape is non-adhesive (HandleBra).

farmallguy
10-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Wow, a lot of help here. Much appreciated as I am getting back into road bikes and am learning the new stuff, and using some old stuff.

ultraman6970
10-13-2011, 08:58 PM
I do the same with my cinelli giro de italia and brifters.

Campy 11 man :P

farmallguy
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm going to start another thread since I said I was using silver parts on this build, and I said I was using Ultegra 6700 which they don't make in silver. I need suggestions. Thanks for the bar help!