PDA

View Full Version : 5 year old Ottrott in a crash this weekend

hmbmd
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
I was involved in a crash this weekend when two cyclists in front of me braked hard to avoid a sizable obstacle in the road. I braked as well but by front wheel hit the rear wheel of the bike in front and took out a few spokes causing me to crash on my right side. Thankfully, my injuries were minor (bruises, road rash and a sprained wrist) but the bike did not fare so well. Both wheels (Zipp 303's) were severely damaged with fractured spokes and problems with the rim. The crank (SRAM Red) was scuffed and a divot of carbon remains at the scene. Both shifters were scuffed and there are a few scratches on the carbon part of the frame. My concern is the integrity of the carbon frame and if it would be safe to ride again once the components and wheels are fixed. My LBS is going to contact Serotta tomorrow and determine if they would be willing to inspect the frame for this purpose. Anybody out there with some similar experience with this. I certainly do not want to be descending a mountain at 40+ mph and have the frame fracture on me. Thanks.

Germany_chris
10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Sorry for the accident and I hope your wrist heals quickly!! :beer:

let me count the reasons I ride a Ti frame and alloy wheels :)

rice rocket
10-10-2011, 07:05 PM
I've crashed my carbon frame 5x this year: once locking handlebars with another rider, once t-boned by another cyclist, once endo'd over a fallen cyclist, and twice low speed not paying attention to the terrain. Broke a set of handlebars in my latest crash and my carbon wheel came out of true, my earlier one (June) involved mangled saddles, broken clavicles, facial fractures, rashed up shifters, etc. Anyways, all is well, only things replaced are my bartape (4x) and the handlebars once.

Have your shop go over it thoroughly to be sure, but if the carbon isn't creaking or crunching, it's pretty much good as new. Carbon doesn't plasticly deform, it either fails or it doesn't.

Pete Serotta
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Where are you located? Also I would check the fork first. Additionally there are ways to have checked by Serotta or a few very knowing folks.

Ottrott is made sturdy and fork is what I would mostly be concerned about and if the bars hit top tube I would look for a scar to have checked

Replace your helmet is also on the list if it hit hard.

Pete.

Also feel free to contact me, if communications with
Plant is not working

hmbmd
10-11-2011, 06:05 PM
My LBS got in touch with Serotta and my frame and fork are on the way to New York for an inspection. Hopefully they are ok. On a lighter note, I was able to get back on my other bike today with very little discomfort.