PDA

View Full Version : Best Parisian tour watching vantage spot

sjbraun
07-20-2005, 07:17 PM
My dear daughter has the good fortune to be in Paris this week. She's planning to stay to watch the riders finish on Sunday. She's asked me for advice on where she should try to park herself. Would any of you have any suggestions? And what time would you arrive a recommended viewing spot?

Thanks

Steve-She follows the Tour, but will she ever ride a bike?

EdK
07-20-2005, 10:29 PM
First choice: Hotel Regina Balcony overlooking the course and the Louvre. OOps probably all booked up and $$$$.
Second Choice: Front row on the barriers anywhere on the Champs above the start finish. Need to be there by 0700-0800 and bring a freind to save spot for food and toilet breaks. Ice chest full of drinks and food is best. Gets nuts and the race dosen't finish until about 1600 local.

spiderlake
07-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Anywhere on Champs-Elysee and I concur that you should get there as early as possible. I was in Paris on Bastille Day (7/14) and noticed that bleachers were placed near the Arc de Triomphe for the parades. Perhaps this is also the case for the TDF? Sandwiches or just some baguette and cheese is easy to come by on just about every corner. Fill some water bottles to avoid the high prices of bottled water. On the bright side, wine is cheap and plentiful!

MadRocketSci
07-21-2005, 06:56 PM
was at the Arc for last year's finish...not a bad place, because it's part of the loop they do about 10 times and all the teams stopped one at a time there on the last loop for pictures. if you're facing away from the arc towards the finish/podium, they stopped on the right side of Champs. Too be safe I'd say 8am would get you a front-rail seat, though you'll have to spend the rest of the day guarding your space. the crowds go 20 deep all the way to the sidewalk by the time the race pulls in. I'm sure there are plenty of other great places, nearer the podium, but that's where I happened to end up. got some decent shots of lance, george, and floyd posing/clownin around.

i know some people who snuck into the vip area near the finish by just following others in, but ymmv on that...good luck!

davep
07-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Good spots are at either end of the course at a corner - more action than on the straights. I would also recommend getting a spot near one of the giant screens so she can watch all the action. Get there early, 9am at the latest and earlier is preferable. Last year we got there about 8am and got a prime spot near the grandstands at the finish. Unfortunately, the authorities decided to move the barricades and kicked us out of our spots and by that time all the other good spots were taken. Still found a spot on the barricades in the middle of the Champs, but it wasn't as good as the first place :crap: