PDA

View Full Version : Geek needed: Power Tap Downloading

Dr. Doofus
07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
ok...bought a USB cable from radio shack to download my power tap into the laptop...and it don't work...doof is confused by your modern technology....he's just caveman*...too tall? phone consult? who? how?

*thank you, phil hartman

SManning
07-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Doof,

I assume you installed the driver if you are running older Windows. After that I had to change the Com Port in the applications:

CycleOps PowerlLinkLite S/W
>Setup
>Applications
>Drop Down menu for Com Port(1-9) - I used 6

Power-Tap Link S/W
>Options
>Application Setup
>Drop Down for Com Port(1-4) - None of these worked for me since my machine liked 6 (as above).

CyclePeaks S/W
Don't have it / Don't Know

Good Luck
Matt Manning

Dr. Doofus
07-20-2005, 07:23 PM
XP

what's a driver?

TimB
07-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Doof,

If you are using XP you shouldn't need to worry about drivers per se, Windows will recognize automatically that a new USB device has been attached.

What you _might_ need to install is whatever software came with the Powertap device. Was there a CD (or less likely, a floppy) supplied when you obtained the Powertap? If so, pop it in, and follow its lead. Most should autoplay, and often even tell you when it's okay to attach the device.

However - It may also be a bad USB port on your computer. If it has more than one port, and most now do, after installing the software simply try a different port, perhaps even unplugging a device you know is working correctly (but not the mouse!) and using that port.

Dr. Doofus
07-20-2005, 07:45 PM
software installed, tried all three usb ports

pale scotsman
07-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Yo Doof - Right click my computer, select properties, harware tab, and then device manager... See any yellow question marks? Say usb next to it? If so PM me and I'll talk you through it. Also disconnect usb and re-connect while up and running. You should hear a "dee-link" type sound and a hardware found message should pop up. XP is good about installing usb's. NT 4.0 on the other hand no worky fo sho...

SManning
07-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Doof,

I meant port 5. Somehow the port was changed on my computer. I believe the Scotsman is going to show you how to find the port your computer is using.

Have you uploaded data before on another computer?

As a reminder, you may need to press a button on the powertap to wake it up. The screen should show the word "Host".

Matt

beungood
07-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Whats a USB?

Too Tall
07-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Food - call me or call Keno and will hep you out. Also there is wonderful support on the web. Here is a FAQ to check out:
http://midweekclub.ca/powerFAQ.htm

Also, check out the Power list on Topica:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/wattage/read/

Hoo boy, can't wait to get your files. I'm going to work your like a rented mule :cool:

weisan
07-21-2005, 10:13 AM
DOofUS, you are a caveman when it comes to technology. :D