PDA

View Full Version : Bike Cargo Trailers

alembical
07-20-2005, 04:37 PM
I am looking for a bike trailer to be used for cargo, rather than kids. I would like a 2 wheel trailer (rather than the single-wheeled ones like the B.O.Bs). It would be used mostly for grocery store and similiar type errands around town (not touring trips). Any ideas?

I have googled and found lots of alternatives, but I just really don't know much about the options and I really do not want to pay a ton of money for a Burley if other options are available (and I seem to see lots of other ones around town).

Thanks in advance,
Alembical

p.s. - this is going to be used solely on my town bike (old fixed-gear Austro-Daimler).

p.s.s. (or is p.p.s.....and what does this mean anyway) - anyone tried pulling a bike trailer with 40 pounds of groceries up hill on a single-speed?

FunkyPorcini
07-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Post Script
Post Post Script

As for the trailer, I wish I had something to contribute but, I'll be watching this thread because I am this --->! !<--- close to getting rid of my car. You may find that kind of weight will cause rear tire slipage.

alembical
07-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the english lesson!

If you are looking for trailers, this website has some good info, comparisons, and links. http://www.bikeroute.com/TrailerMatrix.htm

Alembical

William
07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/

http://www.bikeroute.com/WhyTrailer.htm#Sources

Trailer links:
http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/trailers.htm

William

alembical
07-20-2005, 05:00 PM
William,
Do you have any experience with trailers? Is there anything I should be cautious of?

I notice that some of them use small wheels, some normal. My inclination is that normal wheels would make rolling smoother and easier (and much easier to deal with flats), but is this a big deal? What about the different attachment possiblities.....is through the axle the way to go (can that work with a fixed-gear?), what about on chain stays, or seat post?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any help.
Alembical

Ozz
07-20-2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.beertransportfietsen.nl/bakfietsen/bakfiets.htm

alembical
07-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks Ozz........I wonder if I could get a custom built serotta just like that.... but made as an ottrot with the st rear......

If anyone ever sees me on such a thing, please feel free to rob me as I have way too much money.

Alembical

sirroada
07-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Check out the chariot. Similar price to the Burley but has leaf spring suspension. Good for hauling home eggs! =) Seriously, you are not going to find a good, light, reliable trailer for less than $400.00. If you purchase a cheap one, get ready to watch it rust.

alembical
07-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Seriously, you are not going to find a good, light, reliable trailer for less than $400.00. If you purchase a cheap one, get ready to watch it rust.
Sirroada,
Any thoughts on the burley's? The Nomad is listed at $269 and the flatbed is listed at $199. The flatbed seems like it might be just right for me.

Alembical

Brian Smith
07-20-2005, 10:42 PM
www.xtracycle.com

a carless framebuilding buddy digs his bunches....
thinking of one myself....
no carrying a trailer up flights of stairs plus lock and bike tarp sounds good to me.

sc53
07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Before you decide to haul anything in a trailer behind your bike, read the funny article in this month's Bicycling rag about two friends who go on a 3-day camping trip in northern CA (from the Russian River south to SF) and one hauls a trailer with 40+ lbs of gear. Bike handling .... suffered. Hilarious!

William
07-21-2005, 04:20 PM
William,
Do you have any experience with trailers? Is there anything I should be cautious of?

Alembical

Sorry Big "A", I do not. Just wanted to help out with some links. :)

William

Kevan
07-21-2005, 04:38 PM
jackknifing!

As mentioned earlier Bicycling has a cute article covering this subject.

Don't purchase anything until you somehow test the hairbrained scheme of yours.

This coming from someone equally hairless and brainless.

alembical
07-21-2005, 05:29 PM
At the speeds I plan on using this trailer for, I don't think handling will be a problem.....but then again, since it is going on a fixed gear, I could always run the rear brake to the trailer (if it was a single wheeled B.O.B. type)....hmm.....now I just need a welder......hmm......or I could just get a custom trailer......hmm.......a vanilla trailer.......with the stainless "V" drop outs......hmm.....being pulled by a $100 fixed gear beater bike......

Alembical

Mon Ami
07-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I can recommend the Radical Cyclone, a two wheeled trailer made in Holland. We used it for a camping holiday in France last summer:

http://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/products/trailers/cyclone.html

It attaches at the back axle, which I am told affects handling less, but since this is the first trailer I have tried I cannot really compare it to others. It was certainly much easier than using panniers which is what I have used previously. The only problem we found was too much capacity and therefore the temptation to take too much stuff!

csb
07-21-2005, 07:15 PM
anyone tried pulling a bike trailer with 40 pounds of groceries up hill on a single-speed?

one word: ullrich

stackie
07-22-2005, 12:27 AM
or I could just get a custom trailer......hmm.......a vanilla trailer.......with the stainless "V" drop outs

Alembical, thank you for coming out and admitting that you have thought of a custom Vanilla trailer. I am seriously considering a trailer for toting the love of my life - the 20 month one, not the 33 year one. But, I'm having some serious issues with hooking up a generic Burley trailer to the Vanilla. But, I thought that I was alone in my concerns. Perhaps we should approach Sacha about a custom trailer line?

I was about to stop cutting that Xanax in half every morning. But, now I am reassured that I am OK.

Gotta go, I need to swab all of the bolt heads on my Vanillas with a Q-tip 50 times.

Stackie

Sacha White
07-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Hey Alembical,

I have a burley for kids and groceries (a two seater) you could get away with the smaller one for groceries only. The handling is fine in most conditions ie; speedy decents, cornering etc. The only time it is not so great is when I stand up to climb, then it wants to bob behind. I like that everything on the burly is made in house in oregon (group hug). If you want to take my trailer for a test grocery run, you are welcome to it.

I really want an extra cycle for a shop vehicle. They sell a bike trough atatchment so one can carry up to three bikes on the back. You should check out their site, it is pretty convincing.

alembical
07-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks everyone for all the responses. It seems that for me, the Burley is the way to go....now if I could just find one used.

Alembical