PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Spectrum steel frame?

Joachim
10-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Anyone here with a Spectrum steel frame? I'll appreciate comments on the build process, custom experience and fit, especially if you have been fitted "remotely"? (ie not at the "barn")

PM's also welcomed....

Thanks!

jr59
10-06-2011, 07:42 PM
I have a Ti Spectrum.

It was fit from a far.

It fits like a glove, and disappears below me every time I ride it.
It looks great and I could not ask for a better person to work with.

Tom was and is a great guy to deal with.

Have no fear, of getting a bike from him.

kohagen
10-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Tom didn't build a bike for me, but he repaired and repainted my Jim Redcay frame twice. He did a great job both times, and was very easy to work with.

dhoff
10-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I was fit in person.

Tom and Jeff are a total pleasure to deal with. Tom knows bikes and fitting like few in the world. The bike he built for me is an absolute joy. Communication was impeccable, the process took less time than he had estimated and the workmanship is sublime.

I could not recommend him more highly.

PM me if you want to discuss in depth.

Jack Brunk
10-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm with JR59, if you know your numbers then go with the builder you trust. I don't think you can go wrong with Mr. Kellogg.

Joachim
10-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Thanks guys! I'm narrowing it down to possibly Spectrum steel or Ti (with Ti a short bit ahead) or a lugged Bedford for the next addition.

Fixed
10-07-2011, 07:22 AM
i know a rich lawyer( cat 2 /master ) he has many bikes the one he rides most his 20 year old made for him steel spectrum
cheers

SPOKE
10-07-2011, 07:35 AM
I had a great experience working with Tom & Jeff to get my 25th Anniversary frame. If you can arrange a personal visit I'm sure you'll have just as nice an experience as I did.

dekindy
10-07-2011, 07:44 AM
There may be something that they might catch in person that they would miss by a long distance fitting. Maybe you can make videos to help out.

Having said that, you will probably get a fantastic bike from a long distance fit, maybe better than other builders doing an in person fit. However you will never know what you might be missing.

If this is a lifelong bike and timing is all that is keeping you from going there in person, you might want to consider waiting until you can make the trip. I understand how difficult that is if you have the bug. A guy at my training ride purchased a used Spectrum and loves it. I think it was titanium.

I entered a raffle contest for a Spectrum and if I had won I don't think that I would have let anything keep from making a personal appearance at the Barn!

Ray
10-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I don't think there's a better fitter/designer around than Tom (maybe a very small number who are as good, but none better) and Jeff builds 'em right. I don't have a steel, but have two of their ti frames and if I was still riding a lot, I'd probably add a steel frame to the quiver, just for the beauty of a nice lugged steel frame. I live close by so I've had the benefit of having Tom check me out on my bikes at the Barn, but I've read too many testimonials from folks who ordered from afar to think it wouldn't be as good. Tom just gets it. I'd gone through a lot of bikes before my first Spectrum, and I wasn't far into my first ride on it before I knew I'd found the one. Haven't bought another road bike since (except for the second Spectrum - more of a touring/travel/rough stuff bike) - just totally killed my gear lust.

-Ray

slowandsteady
10-07-2011, 09:27 AM
just totally killed my gear lust.

That alone would pay for the trip to The Barn!!!

jr59
10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't think there's a better fitter/designer around than Tom (maybe a very small number who are as good, but none better) and Jeff builds 'em right. I don't have a steel, but have two of their ti frames and if I was still riding a lot, I'd probably add a steel frame to the quiver, just for the beauty of a nice lugged steel frame. I live close by so I've had the benefit of having Tom check me out on my bikes at the Barn, but I've read too many testimonials from folks who ordered from afar to think it wouldn't be as good. Tom just gets it. I'd gone through a lot of bikes before my first Spectrum, and I wasn't far into my first ride on it before I knew I'd found the one. Haven't bought another road bike since (except for the second Spectrum - more of a touring/travel/rough stuff bike) - just totally killed my gear lust.

-Ray

You know that is so true!

I use to lust after all of the great road/racing frames I see posted on here as well as next door and other forums.
Now they don't even faze me. :rolleyes: I have, at least to me, the best of the best, in that type of bike. Now to save enough for a touring/ rando style bike.

chismog
10-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I use to lust after all of the great road/racing frames I see posted on here as well as next door and other forums. Now they don't even faze me.

Oh man. That alone is probably worth the purchase price!

JR59, imho your Spectrum is really hot. I just lost 10 minutes looking at all the crazy tube swaging. I could get used to that bike.

Ray
10-07-2011, 11:13 AM
That alone would pay for the trip to The Barn!!!
Absolutely - they're the two most expensive frames I ever bought but they ended up saving me loads of money for never wanting another frame.

-Ray

picstloup
10-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I have a Ti Spectrum.

It was fit from a far.

It fits like a glove, and disappears below me every time I ride it.
It looks great and I could not ask for a better person to work with.

Tom was and is a great guy to deal with.

Have no fear, of getting a bike from him.

jr...that is one sweet lookin' ride...

Ozz
10-07-2011, 11:40 AM
My riding buddy has one...he got his shortly after I got my CSI.

Process was smooth and professional...great experience.

Luckily, we ride the same size bike so I got a chance to take it for a spin...sweet ride...stable, smooth, everything you would expect it to be.

Paint is fantastic too....

Joachim
10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Great advice! Thanks guys. It's a project that will be the "if I keep only one" bike (for real). It seems that a trip to the barn will be worth it.

Pete Serotta
10-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I have full confidence in Tom and his products. I have known him for over 25 years. Give him a call also and talk to him about it. PETE

Anyone here with a Spectrum steel frame? I'll appreciate comments on the build process, custom experience and fit, especially if you have been fitted "remotely"? (ie not at the "barn")

PM's also welcomed....

Thanks!

Joachim
10-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I just emailed him about wait times and got a response in 15 minutes....:). I'm going to do some more research, get all my questions in a row and will give him a call. :banana:

dhoff
10-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Great advice! Thanks guys. It's a project that will be the "if I keep only one" bike (for real). It seems that a trip to the barn will be worth it.

Oh, a trip to the Barn will be well worth it.

Tom asks questions no one else seems to ask and he sees things that others do not seem to.

I have the Steel Rando bike from him, but one day, a Ti will have to join it.

-d

LouDeeter
10-07-2011, 03:49 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DRMTMMSFXoA/Rz1PGUYZFVI/AAAAAAAAAAs/PZHhGGXW6KM/s1600-h/IMG_4410.JPG

Here is a picture of my Spectrum steel, purchased on the forum, so I didn't have it custom built for me. This one has special cable routing with the shifter cables run through the downtube, and for the rear der, run through the bb shell and into the right chainstay before exiting. Very thin lugs and a wonderful build. I've had many compliments on this bike, some saying it is the best workmanship they have ever seen.

LouDeeter
10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
By the way, if you get a Spectrum, let me know as I have a second Spectrum Rolls saddle, but will only sell it to someone who actually owns a Spectrum, although I guess that might be hard to verify.

Fivethumbs
10-07-2011, 07:39 PM
This guy told me he no longer has gear lust! He also said he never jacked off either....

PaMtbRider
10-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I just emailed him about wait times and got a response in 15 minutes....:). I'm going to do some more research, get all my questions in a row and will give him a call. :banana:
Just curious, what is the current wait time for a steel Spectrum?

Joachim
10-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Just curious, what is the current wait time for a steel Spectrum?

About 5 months right now, but that could change any minute...

buldogge
10-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Lou...That is almost identical to my '85 sport tourer. What year is it from?

The internal routing with all the tiny stainless tubes is pretty cool, the view inside the BB shell is something else.

I would bother you for the saddle...but...I don't really like Rolls, although it would be cool to have.

-Mark in St. Louis

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DRMTMMSFXoA/Rz1PGUYZFVI/AAAAAAAAAAs/PZHhGGXW6KM/s1600-h/IMG_4410.JPG

Here is a picture of my Spectrum steel, purchased on the forum, so I didn't have it custom built for me. This one has special cable routing with the shifter cables run through the downtube, and for the rear der, run through the bb shell and into the right chainstay before exiting. Very thin lugs and a wonderful build. I've had many compliments on this bike, some saying it is the best workmanship they have ever seen.

Fixed
10-07-2011, 10:17 PM
t.k. made the fork on my bike it is a thing of art
cheers

dekindy
10-08-2011, 09:30 AM
This guy told me he no longer has gear lust! He also said he never jacked off either....

Post of the year nomination!

jr59
10-08-2011, 09:36 AM
:D Well I said I no longer lust after road/race type bikes!

Rando, touring and Cargo still get me! :D

Other than that; No comment. :banana:

Fixed
10-08-2011, 10:51 AM
My riding buddy has one...he got his shortly after I got my CSI.

Process was smooth and professional...great experience.

Luckily, we ride the same size bike so I got a chance to take it for a spin...sweet ride...stable, smooth, everything you would expect it to be.

Paint is fantastic too....
well how about a ride comparison between 2 great steel bike ?
cheers

uber
10-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Tom built me a Ti custom frame. No one better. I have absolute confidence that he can deliver a beautiful frame that will fit correctly. Go to the Barn.

Jeff N.
10-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys! I'm narrowing it down to possibly Spectrum steel or Ti (with Ti a short bit ahead) or a lugged Bedford for the next addition.
Don't forget, Kellogg does lugged steel as well! And with a 1.125" headtube option. I've seen 'em. Wonderful. Jeff N.

bobswire
10-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Sometimes it is very difficult with family,job obligations to take a trip across the nation to get a bike fit.
Back in the late 90's Antonio Mondonico did a "fitting" tour across the Nation. One of his stops was at the Bike Nook (http://www.bikenook.com/cantgettotheshop.html) in San Francisco where one of the master Italian builders fitted you for one of his frames.
It would be cool to see some of our best builders like Kellogg,Kirk, Bedford , Strong, et al do fitting tours in different parts of the country.

dhoff
10-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Serotta is launching a program in the coming monts to make fitting available throughout the country. This is good news for the company and for cyclists.

-d

znfdl
10-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Tom has designed "gulp" five bikes for me. Two have been steel and three have been Ti. Tom's original change in my bike fit revolutionalized my riding.

Jeff's work is amazing, he recently retrofited a 1987 original threaded steel fork to threadless and did some other changes to the bike. The workmanship was flawless.

Tom's paint jobs are also amazing. All together an incredible package.