PDA

View Full Version : American-made, Japanese-made or European-made?

amgc36
10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
The thread on all American bike (frames) got me thinking about building one of my frames with parts from preferably a company that makes them in the US or at least is an American company. But why stop there? This got me thinking- how about three different builds: all-American, all-Japanese and all-European? Is it actually easier to build all Japanese or all-European? We could also throw all-Taiwanese in there but that would probably be the easiest.

To me the question would be finding some of the non-drivetrain parts: forks (European or Japanese), seatposts (European?), saddles (American).

If I were to start with a cyclocross frame, I could build it with drop or flat bars and use both MTB and road parts. For American, given parts issues I am thinking single speed (CK, White, Paul, Thomson and Velocity rims). Don't know about American made tires and ENVE or Black sheep fork.

For Japanese: don't know about fork, Nitto for stem (if they make 31.8), seatpost, Shimano is easy for the rest. No idea about saddle or bars. Maybe Shimano PRO counts?

For European:
Campy so road style; heck, bling it out with Campy all the way. Brooks saddle. 3T or Deda stem. Lightweight wheels.

But what would be the most appealing?

AngryScientist
10-06-2011, 12:43 PM
might be an interesting concept just for the novelty of it, but i select bike parts based on getting the best quality and functionality i can afford, country of origin is less than an afterthought for me.

as mentioned in all the other threads, how you define where something is made is important in your quest. a frame made of Ti tubes where the alloy was mined in several different countries, formed into tubes in another country and welded in the US may be hard for you to get your hands around...

Fixed
10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
how about all french made , was easy in the 70's
cheers

Lovetoclimb
10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I remember the booth of a Japanese frame-builder from NAHBS-Austin but he was using Columbus tubing. I believe he was welding his own forks though, and not sure if those are made of specific steel. The company name should jump out at you if perusing the list of vendors.

For USA tyres . . . are Michelins made stateside?

Quick google search turned up a Japanese saddle mfg'er "Kashimax". Bars I would go with Nitto.

I also dig the idea of a country specific bike for Europe given the heritage of some of their brands, though you are pretty much stuck for modern drivetrain components. Being stuck with Campy is basically the best thing possible though, so why not run down the all Italia route!? Selle, Campy, Ambrosio, 3T, etc

bfd
10-06-2011, 01:30 PM
The thread on all American bike (frames) got me thinking about building one of my frames with parts from preferably a company that makes them in the US or at least is an American company. .

For American, given parts issues I am thinking single speed (CK, White, Paul, Thomson and Velocity rims).But what would be the most appealing?

You may have to look for other rims as I believe Velocity rims are made in Australia:

Velocity Roots:

"All our rims are made in house, right here with pride at our Brendale factory in North Brisbane, Australia."

http://www.velocitywheels.com/default.asp?contentID=550

Are Sun rims still made in the US? If so, you'll want to get them instead. Good Luck!

Lovetoclimb
10-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Based in Florida right?

edl
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
For Japanese: don't know about fork, Nitto for stem (if they make 31.8), seatpost, Shimano is easy for the rest. No idea about saddle or bars. Maybe Shimano PRO counts?

While Shimano HQ is in Japan, most of the parts are actually made in either China or Malaysia. I believe their manufacturing facility is in Kunshan (China).

slowpoke
10-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Luckily older Japanese parts are still plentiful.

In terms of an American-made, you can build a single-speed with everything domestic except the cables, chain, tires, and tubes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/plattyjo/sets/72157622952121489/with/4736448059/).

yngpunk
10-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Quick google search turned up a Japanese saddle mfg'er "Kashimax".

I think Kashimax is the only Japanese saddle maker left or at least the only ones that are NJS certified for use in Keirin racing. They're not cheap though...

jemoryl
10-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I think doing all Italian might be the easiest, but who knows where some of the stuff is actually made. My Basso Viper is accidently close to all-Italian: frame, Campy group and wheels, ITM stem, bars and post (Millenium, back when they said 'Made in Italy') and Koobi saddle (made by Sella Italia). Tires are German Contis, and tubes from who knows where.

amgc36
10-06-2011, 05:17 PM
those Kashimax saddles sure look narrow. They aren't that expensive compared to Selle Italia or Fizik, at least from my cursory glance online.

Kontact
10-06-2011, 06:36 PM
The tough one is always the small stuff, like tires, bars or saddles. I think an all Italian bicycle might be the only possibility for a geared bike from your list.

Frankwurst
10-06-2011, 06:56 PM
The tough one is always the small stuff, like tires, bars or saddles. I think an all Italian bicycle might be the only possibility for a geared bike from your list.

I'd have to agree. I have a 1984 Marinoni coming my way that's all Campy but it's a Canadaian (sic) built frame by an Italian. It would be tough to get a bike built and equipped with parts from one single country. I'm not saying it's not doable but it is a lofty goal imo. :beer:

Fixed
10-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Based in Florida right?
taiwan

amgc36
10-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I guess one might say, what is the most rare component and then work backwards. I think it might be tires, tubes or chain. If European, we have chain, tires and tubes covered. I don't think we can find American made tubes but let's say we ignore the tubes and maybe also the tires.

The other takeaway from this is realizing how few major mainstream products are actually made here in the US. Not unexpected but really, the American parts are all boutique.

swPArider
10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Rolf wheels are American made.

jemoryl
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I think doing all Italian might be the easiest, but who knows where some of the stuff is actually made. My Basso Viper is accidently close to all-Italian: frame, Campy group and wheels, ITM stem, bars and post (Millenium, back when they said 'Made in Italy') and Koobi saddle (made by Sella Italia). Tires are German Contis, and tubes from who knows where.

Oops! Forgot about the Time (French) pedals!

dana_e
10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Steve Rex

Litespeed

next frame, American

jambee
11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Could somebody please explain this new trend of "Made in the U.S.A". One friend thought that it was a nicer way of saying "not made in China", but is that really the case?

I was considering what would happen when "Made in Germany" was all over the place and realized that the 80s are over :-)

Ze German.

559Rando
11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
You may have to look for other rims as I believe Velocity rims are made in Australia:

Velocity moved production from Oz to the US of A because it was...less expensive. Tho, methinks parly because they were doing a lot of business in the US.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=537715

Black Dog
11-13-2012, 11:00 AM
You could do all Italian without too much effort and you would have options beyond the Campy parts. Frame/Fork, Hubs, Spokes, Rims, Tires, Tubes, Handle Bars, Bar tape, Stem, Headset, Group, Cables, Seat post, and Saddle still all made in Italy; please correct me if I am wrong about any of these items. I do not think that any other country makes every single part that a good road bike uses other than Taiwan, and I am assuming that some Groups are made there and not all in China.

slidey
11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I'll take them french maids ;)

how about all french made , was easy in the 70's
cheers

bicycletricycle
11-13-2012, 11:45 AM
in the 90's you could build an all american mountain bike, i think. i remember seeing a picture of one in mountain bike action.

beeatnik
11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
To me the question would be finding some of the non-drivetrain parts: forks (European or Japanese), seatposts (European?), saddles (American).

If I were to start with a cyclocross frame, I could build it with drop or flat bars and use both MTB and road parts. For American, given parts issues I am thinking single speed (CK, White, Paul, Thomson and Velocity rims). Don't know about American made tires and ENVE or Black sheep fork.

Other than wheels, I don't think ENVE makes any of their components in the US.

bicycletricycle
11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
really? that surprising, i dont know why i assumed they were all us made.

jds108
11-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Velocity Roots:

"All our rims are made in house, right here with pride at our Brendale factory in North Brisbane, Australia."

Are Sun rims still made in the US? If so, you'll want to get them instead. Good Luck!

Velocity is making rims in the USA and Australia. But Australian production is shutting down permanently at the end of this month.

john903
11-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I tried just for kicks using stimulas money using this approach just for fun, here is what I came up with on my fixed gear/single speed frame.

Curtlo frame and fork, Winthrop, WA built with U.S. tubing OX Platnium
White Industries hubs
Thomson post and stem
Wooden Fenders made in Bellingham
Cane Creek head set U.S. company but made overseas.
Handle bars a company called VCRC U.S. company but made overseas.

Italian parts Campy cranks,Campy cantilevers, Campy brake levers.

It was a fun project and there are many fine parts made in many countries so I would say build a bike using the best of each country, that would be fun.

jpw
11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
The thread on all American bike (frames) got me thinking about building one of my frames with parts from preferably a company that makes them in the US or at least is an American company. But why stop there? This got me thinking- how about three different builds: all-American, all-Japanese and all-European? Is it actually easier to build all Japanese or all-European? We could also throw all-Taiwanese in there but that would probably be the easiest.

For European:
Campy so road style; heck, bling it out with Campy all the way. Brooks saddle. 3T or Deda stem. Lightweight wheels.

Euro seat post - PMP

sandyrs
11-13-2012, 12:42 PM

Velocity Roots:

Sorry- was a duplicate comment.

esldude
11-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Most appealing to me would be the best bike, screw where the parts come from. I would rather have one bike with the best parts from many countries than 3 bikes from the self constrained country of origin limitation. I frankly don't get it at all.

One could go for a total Russian sourced bike. Or how about 100% Indian? 100% Costa Rican perhaps? What would be the point?

bicycletricycle
11-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Most appealing to me would be the best bike, screw where the parts come from. I would rather have one bike with the best parts from many countries than 3 bikes from the self constrained country of origin limitation. I frankly don't get it at all.

One could go for a total Russian sourced bike. Or how about 100% Indian? 100% Costa Rican perhaps? What would be the point?

wow there cowboy, take it easy

ultraman6970
11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
The question is really broad wide... it depends a lot of the era, models and what are u talking about, components or frames?

dd74
11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Sexiest would be all Italian...right?

ultraman6970
11-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Some small belgian builders do or did stuff way sexier than italians, so is really hard to tell. Japanese and American builders have really sick builds lately too. IMO the better builders are here in the US right now, the sickest and sexiest builds and paint jobs are made in the US at this moment.