PDA

View Full Version : DuraAce SPD-SL

FunkyPorcini
07-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Does anybody ride with them? I hear good things but would it be worth throwing a pair on an all Campy rig?

Climb01742
07-20-2005, 12:32 PM
yes. nice, wide, supportive platform. easy entry/exit. nice "click" when you're in. cleat wears well. can go float (yellow cleat) or fixed (red).

RichMc
07-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Two of my bikes are all Campy. I use these pedals on them & I have no complaints. Simple. Easy. Efficient.

musgravecycles
07-20-2005, 12:56 PM
I know I'm an echo here but I love 'em...

My bikes are campy with Dura Ace pedals...

FunkyPorcini
07-20-2005, 01:04 PM
My main concern is I have been a Time guy for years. I am now in the market for a new pair of shoes and coming to find that the old two-slot cleat pattern is quickly going the way of the Dodo so, that along with the not-so-great reviews of Time's new pedals, I figured maybe it is time to try something new. I wonder how I'm going to feel about the more-similar-to-Look-than-Time feel of the Dura Aces.

Why do these companies have to screw with the most important combination on a bike? Change...grumble grumble :crap:

zap
07-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I have DA SPD-SL's and Look Keo's. For a short period of time, the SPD-SL were married to Campy Carbon cranks on one bike and neither complained about the relationship. Keo's currently have a relationship with Campy Carbon.

After several months on the Keo pedals (1 bike) and a year plus using SPD-SL (2 bikes), I would give a slight edge to Shimano. The SPD-SL feels a bit more secure and the bearings are just better. The Keo is lighter and is the best pedal Look has produced to date.

The SPD-SL does have a bit of float as well as rotation.

dgauthier
07-20-2005, 01:57 PM
My main concern is I have been a Time guy for years . . . along with the not-so-great reviews of Time's new pedals, I figured maybe it is time to try something new . . .

The SPD-SL's sure are slick, but I have no complaints about my Time Impacts after 5000 miles. The low stack height of the Impact/RSX design feels *really* nice. The Shimano stack height is almost a full centimeter higher.

One thing I would suggest is to go to your LBS and "cherry pick" your Time Pedals (rather than trying to save a few bucks with mail order). Check for missing screws and good overall fit and finish, and pick a pair (I mixed and matched my pair from several sets) that already have bearings loose enough to allow the pedals to naturally hang pointing straight up.

Bill Bove
07-20-2005, 02:11 PM
I have Record Pro Fits on all my bikes just because I am a Campy Snob, but if I were to change I'd go with SpeedPlay Zero's.

zap
07-20-2005, 02:29 PM
snipped

The Shimano stack height is almost a full centimeter higher.

According to VeloNews, Shimano SPD-SLs have a lower stack height than Time's Impact by almost one whole mm.

Ken Robb
07-20-2005, 02:33 PM
I have the new DA pedals and I like them a lot. As others have said easy in/out, good support, just right float w/yellow cleats. The extra good things are: they are not bad flat pedals if I go for a quick casual ride in any rubber-soled street shoe and the cleats are not too bad for walking around off the bike for short distances. I replaced Speedplays X3.

dave thompson
07-20-2005, 08:33 PM
I recently switched from Speedplays to the Shimanos. I like them so well I have a set on each of my bikes. The cleats are easy to walk in, no hot spots and a wide and stable platform.

davids
07-21-2005, 06:08 AM
I went from a ancient set of Times to the Ultegra SPD-SLs, so I don't have a strong basis for comparison, but I'm very happy with the pedals. The only thing I could even point out as less than perfect is a bit of 'up-down' play when I pull up while spinning.

You'll like 'em.

FunkyPorcini
07-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Wow. What a list of possitive comments. I didn't think I would find no contest. Perhaps I should think about biting the bullet and spending the money.

Anybody want to give me a few bucks for a broken-in pair of Time Equipe Pro Team Bonjour's?

Thank you for the replies.

Tony Edwards
07-21-2005, 11:26 AM
I went from Looks to SPD-SLs a few years ago. I got the Dura-Ace pedals for my Moots, and Ultegras for my beater. They are basically just like Looks, but lighter and without any of the many annoying characteristics (most of my beefs with Looks relate to the slippery, easily-worn cleats). The rotation feels a bit different, but unless you have special knee sensitivities, I can't imagine you'd have a problem with them.

OTOH, Lance has now pulled out of his SPD-SLs, what, three times at fairly important moments in Le Tour. It hasn't happened to me, but I find it a little surprising. Luckily I have about 1/10 of his power.

FunkyPorcini
07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Oh well if Lance pulled out of them then maybe I should...

Ha...yeah right.

Spinsistah
07-21-2005, 11:51 AM
We ride with the DA SPD-SL pedals and really like them too. The plus is the cleat is pretty easy to walk in compared to others. It wears well too.

Ray
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
...there have been threads like this in the past where there were a number of negative views of the SPD-SLs also. I personally didn't like 'em. I'm a long time Look user and the SPD SLs did bother my knees. The float is different - it floats around the back of the cleat with the movement up by the toe, whereas the Looks move at the back and are locked in at the toe. Also, not as much float. A number of other people had similar observations about knee pain. Well made and seem to function very well, but, like everything else, it comes down to personal preference and not EVERYONE likes these.

Good luck,

-Ray

arsegas
07-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Spinstah -- Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you typically get on SPD-SL cleats before they wear? I use SPD-SLs as well and just wore mine out but unfortunately, I didn't keep good track of my mileage on the cleats.

Thanks,
Eric