PDA

View Full Version : Which would you choose???

JasonF
07-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Hey all,

I have an opportunity to pick up an older Merckx Corsa in overall excellent condition (6 speed, 126 rear spacing) for an ok, but not great price. I'm ready to pull the trigger, and now I see this Rapid Tour on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7170571698&category=98084&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

I asked the seller about the "paint issues" and it appears that a good portion of the top tube, and some downtube paint rubbed off (no explanation) and a weak attempt was made to 'fix' it. What do you think of the bike? Dura Ace 9, and it will probably go for under a grand (although my first love is Campy).

Here's a pic of the Molteni Merckx Corsa...lovely bike. I will probably keep the downtube shifters, and install some Record Carbon brake levers to modernize it somewhat. It has full Super Record components and according to the seller, he bought it NOS and not built up about 5 years ago. I believe him when he says the bike has about 500 miles on it from closely looking at the high res images.

My heart is saying, go for the Merckx, but my practical side is saying, go for the Serotta, since it's updated. What do you all think?

weisan
07-20-2005, 09:52 AM
an older Merckx Corsa...for an ok, but not great price
Strike #1
go for the Serotta, since it's updated
Strike #2
I think based on your own "assessments", it's apparent that you are leaning towards the Serotta. Listen to that voice.

Spinsistah
07-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Did you ask the guy what his reserve is on the Serotta auction? You have to wonder what happened to the top tube, ask him directly about the paint problem. I don't know what Serotta would charge you to repaint the frame, but I bet it's not cheap.

I don't know anything about the Merckx bike, it is lovely, and it looks as though it has been well maintained. To me, that's worth a lot. Plus it's orange............ :)

zank
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
If it was my money, I would go for the Merckx......and keep the levers that are on it

Kevan
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
is that rust under the seatube cluster? If it is, it's a strange place, and I don't like the looks of that.

I'm for the Eddy.

zeroking17
07-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Follow your heart!!!! Get that beautiful Merckx. Why let "practicality" cloud this decision?

(From a purely practical point of view, it's probably not practical to own any high-end bike unless you make your living from it.)

Big Dan
07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Jason, get the Merckx Corsa now and the save for a Serotta steel bike.....

You need both brother...... :D

dirtdigger88
07-20-2005, 10:15 AM
I would pick the orange one- and dont change a thing

Carbon record levers? Why? Does Campy make a carbon brake lever- with out the shifter built in?

Orange and never think twice

Jason

JasonF
07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Jason, get the Merckx Corsa now and the save for a Serotta steel bike.....

You need both brother...... :D

You and I both know I need both...my wife thinks I need neither... :(

Spinsistah
07-20-2005, 10:21 AM
She's not an informed consumer. Buy her a bike and she'll see things differently.

Big Dan
07-20-2005, 10:34 AM

I know Jason, I have a Corsa 01 and 2 steel Serottas....no wife so far..... :D

You can get some old school Campagnolo aero levers or maybe some Dia Compe
that will look good....
I have a friend that rides his orange Corsa with Super Record everyday.

slowgoing
07-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Corsa.

sam235813
07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
You have to wonder what happened to the top tube, ask him directly about the paint problem. I don't know what Serotta would charge you to repaint the frame, but I bet it's not cheap.

I think a "specialty" paint job (you know, the fancy kind) will set you back about $450 at Serotta, while the basic is in the $200 vicinity (I went through this myself about 2 years ago.) They do a great job though so I have agree with the person I'm quoting in voicing suspicion about the top tube...

Personally, (as an owner of both brands) I think Merckx makes some of the best out-of-the-box frames going. If you go the Rapid Tour route, you might want to make sure you get all the measurements (esp. top tube) as it's probably a custom frame made to someone else's measurements.

Good buying,
--sam

Ken Robb
07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
you didn't say what the orange bike would cost and we don't know what you'd have to pay for the white bike so comments on value can't be made.
I have a lovely lugged steel bike from 1981 w/ Nuovo Record gruppo, 126 spacing. Every time I ride it I'm pleased with the ride/handling even compared to my CSi and Legend buuuuuuuuuuuut---the brakes are marginal at stopping and require a very firm squeeze and the shifting is like learning to play the trombone: lots of sour notes while you're learning how far to move the levers to get the gears that you seek. The rings are 52-42 so even with my Sunrace 14-28 seven speed freewheel I avoid long steep hills.
You would not have these limitations with the Serotta.
The Serotta would have slightly slower handling---not at all truck-like but far from twitchy. I've never ridden an Eddie so I don't know hwo quick or slow they handle but I'm sure it would be quicker but not twitchy.
If this would be your only bike I guess I'd favor the Serotta as having broader capabilities. If you have others a great-riding classic is a fun addition to your stable. I'm looking forward to 7/31/05 when the San Diego classic bike gang will have a ride around the bay and backyard picnic for bikes 1983 and older. It's another dimension to my hobby and a great bunch of folks including Joe Bell, Brian Bayliss, Sterling Peters, Chas. Andrews and many more.
If you want to sell either one years from now I doubt you'll lose any $$$.

bcm119
07-20-2005, 12:14 PM
The geometries are probably different enough to make your decision based on what you want out of the bike... light touring geometry doesn't appeal to many, including me. I'd check with Serotta and get the geo specs first. It could be a pretty lame handling bike.

Climb01742
07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
ed-dy...ed-dy...ed-dy...

Louis
07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Does Campy make a carbon brake lever- with out the shifter built in?

Yes, I have a pair.

Louis

BarryG
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
is that rust under the seatube cluster?
Also on the cable fitting. Get the Merckx.

JasonF
07-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Well, I just made up my mind to go for the Merckx, and I got this email 30 seconds ago:

"Hi Jason, sorry about the delayed reply - I had a problem last night with the bike and no longer have a bike to sell to you. I had the bike in the back of my truck canopy and planned to take it to the shop after work to ship. Unfortunately, someone broke into the truck canopy and stole the bike. I've filed a police report and they are keeping an eye out for it but I'm not sure of the success of recovering stolen bicycles. I guess if it's recovered and still in the same condition it's still yours, but for now things are on hold. I apologize for this. I did not expect the bike to have any problems in the back of my truck, especially at the hospital doctor's parking lot, but I guess no where is safe. I sincerely apologize again for your trouble. Thanks, Tim"

I'll shoot for a lowball on the Serotta and try to add a Merckx down the road. You always want what you can't have, and now I really want a Molteni!!! I'm going to Tuscany on Friday on a vacation with my wife, daughter and a bunch of friends with their kids...so maybe I'll bump into Andy Hampsten and buy one of his bikes!

zank
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
man, that really sucks. That really, really sucks. I feel sorry for the both of you.

Ozz
07-20-2005, 04:08 PM
...I need to go home and hug my bike tonight. ;)

Good luck with your search.

Peter
07-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Get the Rapid Tour if you can. You probably don't have a bike in your stable that fits fenders. The Rapid Tour will, and the first time you get caught in the rain with this baby you will KNOW you made the right decision.

Trust me, whenever the weather threatens, you'll reach for the Rapid Tour rather than bag the ride.