PDA

View Full Version : Question for frame builders

Dave B
10-04-2011, 11:51 AM
What is rolling out a dent in a tube mean? I tried to google it, but most of the answers I found are blocked by the uber sensitive web filter my school has.

How does the dent go away and does it compromise the tube's durablity or strength at all? Is this easy to do?

Cheers

DRZRM
10-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Thinking about a new Vanilla?

AngryScientist
10-04-2011, 12:00 PM
it's too bad our late friend Billy Mayes passed, he knew the secrets of dent repair very well.

http://www.paintrunners.co.uk/images/dingking1.jpg

David Kirk
10-04-2011, 12:00 PM
When you dent a tube - say from the bars swinging around and whacking the top tube - it pushes the tube in some of course but also pushes it out at the ends of the dent. It make two small high spots - one at each end of the dent.

Usually when builders talk about 'rolling out a dent' they are saying that they will put the dented part of the tube into tube blocks and clamp it firmly in a vice and then rotate the frame back and worth working these high spots back down to the normal level. If those two high spots get pushed down the low section of the dent will get pushed back up some.

It can work pretty well but it will never be perfect. It will mess up the paint due to working it back and forth in the tube blocks. If the frame (or section) is being repainted it can be made to look like new with a very small amount of filler and then new paint.

There you go.

dave

Dave B
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Thinking about a new Vanilla?

Good lord no!

Dave thanks, I have always wanted to understand that. Do some builders then make it look better by filling in the remaining imperfect tube with some sort of filler and then repainting?

David Kirk
10-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Good lord no!

Dave thanks, I have always wanted to understand that. Do some builders then make it look better by filling in the remaining imperfect tube with some sort of filler and then repainting?

Yep - I mentioned that above.

You got a bike with a dent?

Dave

Acotts
10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
I got wasted last night with some chick and totally rolled a dent out.

It was wild.

Idris Icabod
10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I dented the top tube on an aluminium Cannondale mountain bike several years ago. I had a shop check it out (actually they showed it to the Cannondale rep) and they told me that I was good to keep riding it, it was exactly as Dave mentioned (2 high spots and then the dent in the middle), I was told that as long as there wasn't a crease in the aluminium it was safe. I rode that bike for a few more years and sold it on, the next buyer was told of the dent and had no problems with the frame.

Dave B
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
[/B]

Yep - I mentioned that above.

You got a bike with a dent?

Dave

Sorry missed that first go around.

No, but one of my pals had IF roll out a dent back int he day, I have heard it a few times and then someone mentioned the Vanilla with a dent in it. It just is one of those things I wanted to know.

Dave I am weird I have an obsession with knowing things. I just was curious how the process worked. Cheers

AngryScientist
10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Dave I am weird I have an obsession with knowing things.

this sounds like a good quality for a teacher :beer: