PDA

View Full Version : Why recumbent????

tele
10-04-2011, 07:29 AM
On my ride yesterday I passed a guy, with a small dog, riding a recumbent. Curious for the reasons for riding these?

Acotts
10-04-2011, 07:32 AM
for the same reason people wear sweatpants at work.

Its comfortable and they have given up.

ergott
10-04-2011, 07:33 AM

[/thread]

Awesome, thanks for that. :)

Norm Swift
10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Good question. Don't know for sure, but maybe it is for folks with back issues who still enjoy a bike ride.

AngryScientist
10-04-2011, 07:38 AM

post of the day! :hello:

tele
10-04-2011, 07:52 AM

thanks for the laugh and I will steal that

rugbysecondrow
10-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Many have or had severe back issues. I spoke with one guy who had a broken his back in an accident and the recumbant allowed him to still cycle.

nighthawk
10-04-2011, 08:16 AM
I spent about 3 seconds in/on a recumbent once. Almost fell over.. and have never touched one since. I hope I never give up (and wear sweatpants at work, or ride a recumbent).

tele
10-04-2011, 08:19 AM
every time I see some guy riding one, it looks even more dangerous than upright riding. Doesnt seem like you have a lot of quickness in that position. Do people really go up hills on those too?

sg8357
10-04-2011, 08:22 AM
'Bents are the official bike of the engineer and speed freak cycling sub-cults.

William
10-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Does George ride a recumbent? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7cw6jbwFY

William
(Who jokes and says ride what you like)

christian
10-04-2011, 08:31 AM
'Bents are the official bike of the engineer and speed freak cycling sub-cults.I once wagered a motorcycle with a friend of mine that a recumbent rider we were about to pass would have a beard and an engineering degree. I won (of course) and my buddy bought me a KTM 640 Adventure. So I'm ok with recumbents.

Dave Wages
10-04-2011, 08:37 AM
'Bents are the official bike of the engineer and speed freak cycling sub-cults.

They have charts and graphs that explain how superior their recumbents are too! ;)

DRB
10-04-2011, 08:46 AM
At one time I hoped I would run for the rest of my life; hopes dashed. Now I hope to ride for the rest of my life; been at it for 27 years. I hope I never have to consider a recumbent (disability or medical condition). But...I am a fan of motion. If I had to go the recumbent route I hope my self image could deal with it and I would hope your smug a** looks would be a source of amusement.
DRB

dauwhe
10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
People are out riding their bikes. I think that's great, regardless of what the bike looks like. There's a rando guy in this area with a degenerative disease who often has to ride a hand cycle, but I think he's finished 600k rides on that thing, and maybe 1200k? I bet other people just think 'bents are cool. More power to them.

Dave

bigflax925
10-04-2011, 09:00 AM
I had recumbents for the fun and gadgety-ness of them. Thankfully, I've never had a medical need for them. They are unique and fun and satisfy a curiosity. To me, it's a natural extension of cycling.

Yes, they look odd because you don't see many out there. I think the cost keeps most people away, as well as the stigma of beer bellied beard wearing physicists. Honestly, you have to know how to tinker to ride one. Since there are so many variations, it's hard to make parts (fenders, for instance) that will work with each one.

I've had several tadpole trikes, including a Greenspeed GTO and GTT tandem, as well as a few low racers. The tadpoles are like pedal powered go karts. They are a blast to ride. I have to say that I am not that fast on an upright bike. On a low racer? That's a whole 'nother ball game. I can fly!

I still have an Organic Engines Triclops tadpole trike that I bought for my Dad that he couldn't ride.

I love all things bikes, what can I say.

Here are a few of the ones I have had.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Fujin_Toxy/IMG_1004.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Fujin_Toxy/IMG_1014.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Challenge%20Taifun/IMG_8674.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Dragonflyer/DSC_6826.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Greenspeed%20GTT_Blue/IMG_7756.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/M5%20Shock%20Proof%20451/DSC_7009.jpg

witcombusa
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
On my ride yesterday I passed a guy, with a small dog, riding a recumbent. Curious for the reasons for riding these?

Why indeed :crap:

FlashUNC
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I had recumbents for the fun and gadgety-ness of them. Thankfully, I've never had a medical need for them. They are unique and fun and satisfy a curiosity. To me, it's a natural extension of cycling.

Yes, they look odd because you don't see many out there. I think the cost keeps most people away, as well as the stigma of beer bellied beard wearing physicists. Honestly, you have to know how to tinker to ride one. Since there are so many variations, it's hard to make parts (fenders, for instance) that will work with each one.

I've had several tadpole trikes, including a Greenspeed GTO and GTT tandem, as well as a few low racers. The tadpoles are like pedal powered go karts. They are a blast to ride. I have to say that I am not that fast on an upright bike. On a low racer? That's a whole 'nother ball game. I can fly!

I still have an Organic Engines Triclops tadpole trike that I bought for my Dad that he couldn't ride.

I love all things bikes, what can I say.

Here are a few of the ones I have had.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Fujin_Toxy/IMG_1004.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Fujin_Toxy/IMG_1014.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Challenge%20Taifun/IMG_8674.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Dragonflyer/DSC_6826.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/Greenspeed%20GTT_Blue/IMG_7756.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/bigflax925/Bikes/M5%20Shock%20Proof%20451/DSC_7009.jpg

I'll be honest, I'd give that blue one with the GIANT chainring up front a shot.

I'm reminded of the BikeSnob comment that watching a recumbent go down the road is like watching someone trying to kick at an eagle attacking them while they're on the ground.

rugbysecondrow
10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Honestly, if you showed up at your buddies house and he had some of those recumbants, which one of us wouldn't want to ride one?

Bigflax...they look like fun.

sloji
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I started cycling on recumbents with three herniated discs in my neck and healed fairly well and now ride a Sachs road bike. I tried nearly every type of bent made and to me it's just another way to pedal. The cycling culture in general from an outsider point of view is a nerdfest and recumbents the penultimate expression. We all do what we can and find ways to enjoy the freakshow.

Picture is Glenn from Oz on Raam, bike by Velokraft of Poland.

guyintense
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Why sit when you can lie down.

killacks
10-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Why sit when you can lie down.

and "why put off today what you can put off altogether"

... sorry for the derail. I look for any excuse possible to drop that expression :cool:

Mr. Squirrel
10-04-2011, 10:21 AM
and "why put off today what you can put off altogether"

... sorry for the derail. I look for any excuse possible to drop that expression :cool:

why put off today a wheel that will be gone tomorrow? i like that. nuk nuk nuk!!

mr. squirrel

eddief
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM
with a sore lower back. owned 1 trike, 2 short wheel base, and 3 long wheel base bents. my back is fine now, so back into normal bikes.

that said, riding a recumbent is still more fun than most things you can do with your clothes on.

Bob Ross
10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
bike by Velokraft of Poland.

I'll be durned...and all this time I thought they were German. In any case, whenever I sit around fantasizing about what bikes I'd own if I had unlimited wherewithal (and unlimited storage space) there's always a Velokraft NoCom on my list.

I'm a closet 'bent fan. I just think the concept is really cool. Unfortunately, it does appear that the clichés about 'bent riders do seem for the most part true.

Never ridden one, and hope I never have to, but at some point I'd really like to try it.

sloji
10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
with a sore lower back. owned 1 trike, 2 short wheel base, and 3 long wheel base bents. my back is fine now, so back into normal bikes.

that said, riding a recumbent is still more fun than most things you can do with your clothes on.

I haven't been on a recumbent in over 2 years, do I miss them...occasionally. The low racer from poland was a blast to ride and even my wife who thought bents were total dorkdom liked that rig. ...and what about these new town bikes? they are so totally fcuked up that folks would be better of on a bent!

Nuf said.

mvrider
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Disclaimer: I am an engineer, in Silicon Valley no less
However: I don't ride recumbents

What's funny is that Sloji is one of two recumbent riders I've met (I bought the amazing Ottrott from him) who look athletic! Most of the riders I've seen around the Bay Area do have that typical look, unfortunately, and are riding the flatter roads. I did see one pedaling up Kings Mountain Road last weekend, about 7% grade, so it is possible.

The other athletic-looking recumbent rider I personally know is a retired engineer, but rides in Masters road races, where recumbents are apparently allowed. He says that's the only way he can keep up :-)

Having talked to other recumbent riders with back problems, however, I have recommended them as a way to keep riding in spite of medical issues. As others have said, whatever it takes to keep riding!

eddief
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Zach Kaplan is one of our local recumbent dealers and kick ass rider. He is as iconclastic as it gets when it comes to personality. He has proven himself as extremely fast and high endurance riding a variety of recumbents. About 6 feet tall and skinny as a bean pole:

http://zachkaplancycles.com/faq.html

I did my first test ride at his shop, fell in the first 11 seconds, had to pay to repair the demo bike...and went on from there to own 5 bents.

mauerschau
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
The cycling culture in general from an outsider point of view is a nerdfest and recumbents the penultimate expression.

Wait, then what is the ultimate expression of cycling's nerdiness?

fiamme red
10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
There was a recumbent rider who cleared 12 of the 13 climbs (all except Canton) on Dirty Dozen a few years ago. Very impressive.

vsefiream
10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
There's a guy around here that does the exact same thing. Weird

Fixed
10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
i rode one about 20 years ago it was fun
i had a heck of a time getting out of the saddle though
cheers :beer:

benb
10-04-2011, 11:06 AM
I would love to try one but I don't think I've ever seen one in a shop and they are of course expensive just like everything else cycling.

I always see them ridden by slow folks.. but I know they are faster in almost all on-road cases then upright bikes. It's not that hilly where I live, I'd bet 99% of the time I'd be faster on a recumbent (and faster then almost everyone riding an upright) if I was to ride one.

It seems that unless you are doing a legitimate mountain climb they are faster... if the UCI hadn't banned them way before we were all born I bet we'd all be riding them.

And just think, a ridiculously aero position with no need to to worry about flexibility, sore back, wrist injuries or saddle sores.. be honest, who actually thinks that doesn't sound good?

Norm Swift
10-04-2011, 11:21 AM
There's a guy around here that does the exact same thing. Weird

Interesting, I missed the "small dog" part of tele's OP when I first read it. Perhaps tele's question was regarding riding with a dog, and not regarding riding recumbents in general.

merlinmurph
10-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Years ago, like 20 years ago (man, it hurts to say that), one of the Bicycling editors was having <ahem> issues, uhhhhh shall we say, keeping his girlfiend happy. This was a guy that rode about 10K miles a year and wasn't about to give up biking, and didn't want to give up his GF, so he tried a recumbent. If I remember right, it wasn't perfect, but he saw the benefits of recumbents. He still preferred a traditional bike, but the recumbent got him out there.

No idea what happened with his, uhh, issues.

Hey, I found a link (http://home.comcast.net/~billotto/biking.htm)

sloji
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM

It's this kind of humor that helps me get by each day, thank you.

the ultimate nerd, a cyclist that dopes.

Fixed
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
v1 pro bell helmet white knee high socks , p.e. gym shorts and a 10 year old ride t shirt

yikes !
i have to be careful i am starting to resemble him
cheers

christian
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Those low-racers look like fun, but it's not clear to me where I would mount my ham radio.

fiamme red
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Those low-racers look like fun, but it's not clear to me where I would mount my ham radio.Anyone remember "Computing Across America"?

http://microship.com/resources/technomadic-tools.html

Chance
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Now that engineers have been nerdified we probably can't get an honest tech answer but maybe we can get the non-technical perspective why these bikes can’t climb. They do weigh a little more which may laden the rider with up to 10 percent more total weight, but the reputation that they can’t climb at all far exceeds that weight penalty. Is the climb penalty real due to poor ergonomics or are weak riders drawn to bents?

It’d be fun to try one. The rush of a very fast downhill may make a slow climb worth it.

As for dogs most like cycling. And they are not too picky about what they mount.

sloji
10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
"Diamond frames are more mechanically efficient and bents are more aerodynamically efficient." This was kind of a catch all phrase that worked for me when I rode bents and seemed true. I was a slower on sustained climbs over 4% even with bikes of the same weight, never could explain why.

On long rides i'd rather be on a bent...try this on for size;

June 2010
Australian PETER HEAL set a new record of 48 days, 23 hours and 37 minutes for a solo unsupported 14.900 km ride around Australia. Yahoo group and Here

I think it was about 180 miles per day...?

christian
10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Two reasons diamond-shaped frames are more efficient climbing:
1) Upright position (vs. reclined position) allows more force to be exerted by legs each rotation due to more efficient acute hip angle.
2) In addition, cycling on diamond-shaped frame can stand and exert additional force (gravity's effect on rider and even pulling up on bars) on cranks.

eddief
10-04-2011, 12:52 PM
one thing for sure on a bent, you can't ever stand up when climbing...and think most on an upright bike get both relief and extra speed from being able to stand. to enable efficient climbing on a bent, they are usually geared way low and the rider is forced to spin like a mofo up the hill. this sort of spinning for long climbs requires the rider to be conditioned to do that efficiently....and then there is nothing like spinning at 4 mph on a steep hill and trying to keep the thing upright as the tiller effect of the steering is working to freak you out. it's an adventure.

Now that engineers have been nerdified we probably can't get an honest tech answer but maybe we can get the non-technical perspective why these bikes can’t climb. They do weigh a little more which may laden the rider with up to 10 percent more total weight, but the reputation that they can’t climb at all far exceeds that weight penalty. Is the climb penalty real due to poor ergonomics or are weak riders drawn to bents?

It’d be fun to try one. The rush of a very fast downhill may make a slow climb worth it.

As for dogs most like cycling. And they are not too picky about what they mount.

Chance
10-04-2011, 02:21 PM
It must be one of those things you must have to try for yourself before getting a full appreciation because on the surface lots of information is hard to decipher. Given proper gearing many riders can climb as fast seated as standing so the gravity effect while standing doesn’t explain it all. Likewise some recumbents place the rider with legs bent at similar angle to that of diamond shaped bikes. And even though they can’t use gravity to push down on pedals, pedaling forces still have to be generated by leg and butt muscles. Instead of relying on gravity and rider weight a bent rider can push against seat as hard as he wants. That being the case do legs care whether hips are restrained by gravity and torso weight versus a fixed seat? Seems doubtful it would make much difference once the body adjusts to new position.

On stationary recumbent exercise cycles it’s not too difficult to generate power equal (or similar) to upright bikes which makes trying one that much more tempting.

old_fat_and_slow
10-04-2011, 02:30 PM

How many bike chains do you have to buy to make a chain that long? Three?

You ever break a chain while out riding? Seriously, that chain is going through some serious contortions. Do you have to replace that rubber idler pulley or those rubber chainguides often?

Anybody ride those with Look/Time/Speedplay/Mavic/Sampson pedals?

zap
10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
I've been wanting one (trike design) for years, modify it and build an aero body and just cruise.

On a road bike 4 hour centuries are the norm but with an aero body recumbent I would like to do one in 3 hours or less.

Yes, hills suck.

sloji
10-04-2011, 02:36 PM
It must be one of those things you must have to try for yourself before getting a full appreciation because on the surface lots of information is hard to decipher. Given proper gearing many riders can climb as fast seated as standing so the gravity effect while standing doesn’t explain it all. Likewise some recumbents place the rider with legs bent at similar angle to that of diamond shaped bikes. And even though they can’t use gravity to push down on pedals, pedaling forces still have to be generated by leg and butt muscles. Instead of relying on gravity and rider weight a bent rider can push against seat as hard as he wants. That being the case do legs care whether hips are restrained by gravity and torso weight versus a fixed seat? Seems doubtful it would make much difference once the body adjusts to new position.

On stationary recumbent exercise cycles it’s not too difficult to generate power equal (or similar) to upright bikes which makes trying one that much more tempting.

I was always puzzled by the different concepts of generating power and having experienced both I think it has a lot to do with the changing of positions and utilizing different muscle groups on an upright. Sit, stand, glutes, hamstrings...it gives you a lot of rest when you get the rhythm. On the bent you are static and though you can generate great power it's the same motion and I think fatigues you more. Although in my present condition at 150lbs compared to 2 years ago at 178lbs if you put the light me on an 18lb bent i'd beat my fat self on the upright!

Condition wins.

CunegoFan
10-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Isn't the aero benefit partly negated by the tall flag you have to use so that yokels with jacked up F150s can see you? That and beards are not as aero as a smooth shaven face.

Bob Ross
10-04-2011, 02:51 PM
And even though they can’t use gravity to push down on pedals, pedaling forces still have to be generated by leg and butt muscles. Instead of relying on gravity and rider weight a bent rider can push against seat as hard as he wants. That being the case do legs care whether hips are restrained by gravity and torso weight versus a fixed seat? Seems doubtful it would make much difference once the body adjusts to new position.

This was always the thing that confused me: When I first encountered recumbents 30-some years ago I heard that the whole point was to put the rider in a position that allowed them to push against something so they could generate more power. Fast forward to now, and every 'bent rider I've met admits they suck on hills.

fwiw, the folks that first introduced me to 'bents were the geeks on the engineering team that designed the Gossamer Condor human powered flight vehicle. If a DF allowed the rider to generate more power more efficiently or for longer periods of time, why wouldn't they have used a traditional bike geometry for their flying machine?

[edit: interesting... the subsequent Gossamer Albatross did use a DF geometry! The plot thickens.]

christian
10-04-2011, 03:10 PM
[edit: interesting... the subsequent Gossamer Albatross did use a DF geometry! The plot thickens.]
I was -just- going to say that.

Louis
10-04-2011, 03:14 PM
I think many of them look pretty cool, and very fast.

If I didn't live in such a hilly area I would have bought one a long time ago - if only to try something different.

benb
10-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Some of the mechanical yuckiness seems to be solved by moving to a front wheel design.. but then the steering is odd...

I did find this company:

CruzBike (http://www.cruzbike.com/)

The top cruzbike is 21.8lbs without pedals.. and it is aluminum so they aren't that far off on weight.

It seems like the recumbent really hasn't been developed yet, whereas the diamond frame is an extremely mature design.. (and probably was 100 years ago) Looking at different models they vary far more drastically then diamond frame bikes.

They are still changing the basic form of the bike whereas there is nothing left with diamond frame bikes except changing to ever more exotic materials and higher build quality.. interesting difference.

Also interestingly it looks like they are easier to adapt to different size riders..

fiamme red
10-04-2011, 03:17 PM
If I didn't live in such a hilly area I would have bought one a long time ago - if only to try something different.Let me venture a guess: you have a beard and an engineering degree, right? :)

Louis
10-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Let me venture a guess: you have a beard and an engineering degree, right? :)

How did you guess? ;)

Crazy Chris
10-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm not a recumbent owner, but I believe they were given short shrift years ago after setting a track speed record of, I think, 60 mph. The UCI, however, banned them, and the rest is history. They are quite spectacular in the Race Across America. Recumbentites call the upright bicycle "wedgies." I'm sure some of the saddles I've ridden over the years qualify as suitable tools for proctologists.

gone
10-04-2011, 04:13 PM
On the right terrain with the right rider and the right recumbant they are wicked fast. I know a guy that's set 24 hour age group records on a conventional bike, put him on a Bachetta and he is just gone. He'll smoke anybody on a regular diamond frame.

jmoore
10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Why ride a recumbent?

To get more use from your Birkenstocks, calf length wool socks and cargo shorts

Hawker
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a friend who is a very successful, long-term bike shop owner in NY.
He is middle-aged and has done lots of racing and touring in his life and appreciates good quality equipment and as he is in the business can afford to ride any bike he wants. For the last six or seven years ALL he rides is a recumbent and leads the charge in that direction. He extols the comfort and the speed.

My concern is safety. I have come upon recumbents numerous times in the mountains of N. Ga. and have often found them very hard to see as they are so low.

Elefantino
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Rode mountains once in the same event as the Barchetta team. I passed them on the first of six climbs, feeling somewhat superior.

They passed me like I was standing still on the back side, and I was going about 45+.

Never saw them again.

chuckroast
10-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I'll confess to being 'bent curious. Earlier this year we were out on a day trip and I spotted a used one for sale in front of a bike shop. It was $350 or $400, something like that, and I almost pulled the trigger as an impulse buy.

Cooler heads prevailed though because the logistics of getting it home would have been difficult.

Now I'm regretting it. I'd like to try one out.

johnnymossville
10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I think a recumbent would make a great starting point for a proper electric vehicle.

NHAero
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I had a lot of trouble with my neck seven years ago and a friend who is ambibikedexterous threw a 'bent catalog at me and I decided to try them. Unlike diamond frame bikes, the design of 'bents hasn't converged at all and one needs to try several usually to find one that works well.

The one in the photo below weighed under 20 pounds. I used to ride a hilly 101 mile day ride in central VT and I could do this ride close to an hour faster on a 'bent than my upright. It was slower uphill but faster on the flat and downhill.

When I was recovering five years ago from a disc herniation that left me with nerve damage on my left side from glute on down I found I could ride an upright easier because a 'bent uses a narrower range of muscles and losing the glute mattered more.

About three years ago I discovered by accident that a much shorter top tube solved most of my comfort issues on the upright, and I sold my last 'bent. I do miss them occasionally - they are definitely more comfortable for me. The one issue I had with them is that I rode racing type 'bents which put me in a quite reclined position. On an upright we can balance at very slow speeds by shifting our upper body slightly. You really can't do that on a laidback 'bent. So on the type of hills I regularly encountered living in NH and riding in NH and VT I felt unstable when down at 3-5 mph. Now that I live on Martha's Vineyard this would matter a lot less!

Oh, and trikes (the 'bent ones with two front wheels) are an absolute hoot.

Disclaimer: I recently shaved my beard, and my bachelor's thesis in mechanical engineering was published in Bicycling and is part of the MIT Museum collection...and David Gordon Wilson, who co-authored Bicycling Science, was my freshman and master's thesis advisor. Bike geek alert!

Wilkinson4
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
why put off today a wheel that will be gone tomorrow? i like that. nuk nuk nuk!!

mr. squirrel

The problem with recumbents is that your wheels and your nuts (Sorry girls) are closer to mr. squirrel. Don't like those odds.

mIKE

toaster
10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
'Bent vs. Wedgie.

To each his own.

woolly
10-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Many of these look like fun. The low racers look fast. But all look like an invitation to get run over. Don't know about you guys, but I'm having a hard enough time being adequately seen on my real bike.

BillG
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM

I'm going with penny farthing riders.

christian
10-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm going with penny farthing riders.No, it's tall bikes.

bigflax925
10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't care what anyone says - that Fujin is hot as heck!

I had a lot of trouble with my neck seven years ago and a friend who is ambibikedexterous threw a 'bent catalog at me and I decided to try them. Unlike diamond frame bikes, the design of 'bents hasn't converged at all and one needs to try several usually to find one that works well.

The one in the photo below weighed under 20 pounds. I used to ride a hilly 101 mile day ride in central VT and I could do this ride close to an hour faster on a 'bent than my upright. It was slower uphill but faster on the flat and downhill.

When I was recovering five years ago from a disc herniation that left me with nerve damage on my left side from glute on down I found I could ride an upright easier because a 'bent uses a narrower range of muscles and losing the glute mattered more.

About three years ago I discovered by accident that a much shorter top tube solved most of my comfort issues on the upright, and I sold my last 'bent. I do miss them occasionally - they are definitely more comfortable for me. The one issue I had with them is that I rode racing type 'bents which put me in a quite reclined position. On an upright we can balance at very slow speeds by shifting our upper body slightly. You really can't do that on a laidback 'bent. So on the type of hills I regularly encountered living in NH and riding in NH and VT I felt unstable when down at 3-5 mph. Now that I live on Martha's Vineyard this would matter a lot less!

Oh, and trikes (the 'bent ones with two front wheels) are an absolute hoot.

Disclaimer: I recently shaved my beard, and my bachelor's thesis in mechanical engineering was published in Bicycling and is part of the MIT Museum collection...and David Gordon Wilson, who co-authored Bicycling Science, was my freshman and master's thesis advisor. Bike geek alert!

abdsalaam
03-02-2012, 12:27 PM
My dream is that one day someone alot smarter than me
will develope a human powered vehicle with a transmission
that will allow cruising at 70mph on the freeway with ease
- no emissions - on roads made just for bikes.
Eventually roads made for bikes will stretch as far as they
have for automobiles with basically zero emissions. lt may
never happen but still again its just a dream.

Dell