PDA

View Full Version : Base miles/Training Q (Big Mac?)

jeffg
02-12-2004, 01:44 PM
I know, I know, I really should get a coach or something; however, I would like to tap the knowledge here one last time.

I have a DC coming up in late April with lots of climbing. I am experiencing some major adjustments with my training versus prior years because (1) I am coming off a torn labrum in my right shoulder and (2) most of my training now is on a trainer rather than on the road.

Due to both 1&2 above, I have ridden far fewer miles than I would like at this point. I continued to run quite a bit while my shoulder was at its worst, so I feel I have pretty good base fitness. What I am doing now is putting in targeted climbing workouts on my trainer (it's a pretty cool ergometer, where you can program in climbs, train by watts, etc.). Since the training is mostly indoors at this point, I can't really envision rides of over 4-5 hours on the ersatz-bike. What I have done is program in climbs using available data (www.salite.ch, www.ciclomaniac.com or from my own Polar S-710 files). What I try to do is keep a relatively consistent power output below my "theoretical' threshold (based on a Conconi test). My question is:

Since I really have only 10 hours to train per week on average, I try to keep the workout to climbing repeats (1:30-3:00 hours of the workout spent "climbing") interspersed with easy days. I am pretty much neglecting base miles at this point. With the event 10 weeks away, I figure it's pretty late for that. I do want to add some more targeted efforts at a higher intensity, but I want to work on my "endurance climbing" for now. Any thoughts from fitness gurus would be much appreciated.

best,

Jeff (not quite so much a gimp anymore)

CarbonTi
02-12-2004, 09:35 PM
There's no subtitute for base-miles. I can understand using intensity on the trainer because no human willingly does 3 hours on a trainer but endurance work is a necessary evil in this sport and that means out on the road.

You probably know what has worked for you in the past, but if at this point in the season I had to choose to weight either the power or endurance side of the equation, I'd take endurance. This is a DC and not a race so even with a lot of climbing, you could get around this using a lighter gear on the climbs.

10 weeks is a lot of time to build base and mix in some intensity to keep you honest. At this time of year, coming home into a head wind will allow you to grind a heavy gear to get in some strength work.

Good luck. What ride are you gearing up for BTW?

jeffg
02-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the response.

The ride is the Devil Mountain Double in San Ramon, CA. I fear many on this forum are getting sick of my obsessing over it, so I'll try to refrain from talking about it anymore.

The base miles thing is something odd to me. I don't race, and try to be in shape for a few events a year. I used to just ride all year, going for long aerobic rides and then just getting in as much climbing as possible once I thought I was fit and just couldn't stand flat riding anymore. Closer to the event I would start doing climbing intervals, but mostly just longer rides (mostly on the course route or similar terrain) trying to keep it aggressive yet aerobic. Did it work? Well, I have always finished the rides and not embarrased myself too badly.

Now, though, I need to adapt to this thing called winter (plus city living). It really makes weekends the only option for longer rides, and most of the climbs are not really accessible at this time of year, so the trainer is really the best option much of the time (plus, my three-month old son gets a kick out of watching me on the thing).

My thought is that I need to be able to sustain repeated efforts at just below LT for a total of probably 6-8 hours (at least) on the major climbs of the day. It is also crucial to avoid dipping too much into the red zone (if at all) on climbs such as Sierra that averages roughly 10% with many sections in the 15-20% range. I can't see that happening without some major strength training on and off the bike as well as what I might term "endurance climbing" (getting in mucho vertical without dipping into the red as much as possible).

Anyway, thanks for the response and hope all is well in the 'burbs.

best,

Jeff

Dude
02-13-2004, 10:26 AM
JeffG-
If i recall you were living in NYC now right? I don't know if i'd do the 6-8 hour training with you but if you are looking for 3-4 (~60 miles) training partner, let me know and we can spin up and back to nyack or something.

Just a thought if you need company.

jeffg
02-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Dude
JeffG-
If i recall you were living in NYC now right? I don't know if i'd do the 6-8 hour training with you but if you are looking for 3-4 (~60 miles) training partner, let me know and we can spin up and back to nyack or something.

Just a thought if you need company.

Dude --

Thanks. I am indeed in NYC (looking at the SOL right now in fact). Even dbrk shows up here from time to time despite his misanthropic tendencies ;)

Anywho, getting out on the road sounds like a good idea. Once it gets a little warmer I will head out more towards Garrison, Cold Spring, Bear Mountain, etc. I find taking Metro North often leads to a pleasant country-type ride. Company would be welcome. Afterwards, we can head for a :beer:

best,

Jeff