PDA

View Full Version : Help a roadie settle on proper MTB

Fishbike
10-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey gang -- I have read a lot on MTBR.com but I value the thoughts of folks here since I gravitate toward skinny tires and artisan bikes. I am starting to think of getting a proper MTB. I goof around on 10-yr old entry level Specialized and am ready I think for a much better all around experience, e.g. brakes that actually stop. I ride mostly singletrack and clear trails, some climbing, nothing too technical.

I like the bling and novelty of a FS. I test road a bunch and really liked a 26'' Trek Fuel. But I also like the idea of a 29er and know intellectually that a hardtail with a quality frame is all I really need. Lynskey has a nice promotion for a Ti 29er Ridgeline with decent components. Who can argue with Ti and Lynskey is much more in line with my usual tastes than an aluminum Trek (but that dual suspension was kinda fun)?

What do you guys think? Should I add a dualie to the stable or tear up the trail with a quality, American made Ti hard tail with big wheels? I am vertically challenged at 5'4" (and not particually laterally stiff) but think a sufficiently small 29er will be fine.

tannhauser
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Doesn't sound like you live in an area that's very technical. An off-the-shelf ht 29er is a great bike.

vqdriver
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
i was in a similar situation and opted for the full squish titus mostly cuz i'd never owned one before. at the time 29er was getting big but not nearly as widespread as it is now. i don't need full suspension where i normally ride, but i like it. a hardtail would probably serve me better with all the steep climbs.

fwiw, you're close enough to the end of the year that you could probably score a good deal if you hold out a bit. you won't have the same selection, but if you ride a smaller frame, you may end up having a decent choice regardless.

avalonracing
10-03-2011, 01:49 PM
If you are 5'4" I'd get a 26" bike. It should be more nimble for you.

At 6'0" I'm quite happy on my 26" MTBs.

Nooch
10-03-2011, 01:55 PM
(and not particually laterally stiff)

I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread except to add that they make drugs for this now. :beer: :banana:

Kane
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
29er's work better for tall people (six foot +) and they don't work well for shorter people (under 5'10").
Get an Ibis mojo or a Turner. Hard tails rank up there with mechanical disc brakes. Dead, dead, dead!!
Priorties:
fit, suspension design, shock/fork quality, wheels, components.
Cheers,

Kane

If you are 5'4" I'd get a 26" bike. It should be more nimble for you.

At 6'0" I'm quite happy on my 26" MTBs.

tannhauser
10-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Missed you were five four; 26" then.

Gonna disagree about suspension if your trails are mild. I have a dualie but it can be gnarly here.

BryanE
10-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I am 5'9.5" and ride a medium Specialized S-Works HT 29er and love it.
I know another old fart that's 5'8" and kicks ass on his 29er at the races.
Having said that maybe 5'4" is a bit on the short side for a 9er.
How about a Specialized Epic.Best of both worlds with the Brain suspension.
I had one for 4 years and it worked perfect.
Bryan

d_man16
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
It seems like the stuff you are looking at ain't too technical? It sounds like

you'd like to hit the dirt and have some fun?

There are all sorts of Geo's out there to satisfy your every need.

Try Jamis and KHS they have some nice stock bikes out there.

Ventana makes the Bastard....a F/S sexy beast

The 650 handles tight single track and over logs nicely- if you decide to make

that move and it still rolls u up a hill without the obligatory 29er aneurysm in

your calves.

And hey your foot won't hit when you turn the wheel!

~D

John H.
10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
5'4? Get a size small 26" Specialized Epic- it will do everything that you want.

Peter P.
10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
You're short. 29ers better fit riders 6' and taller.

Get a 26" wheeled bike.

Get the "quality, American made Ti"- Lynskey.

Get a hardtail.

You will grin until your cheeks hurt.

Jack Brunk
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I know a lot of ladies who'd take offense that their too small for a 29er. I think that using certain height limits is wrong. If your interested in a 29er, go test ride one and work with a shop that knows what their doing. I'm 2 inches shy of this topics 6 foot or taller theme and I'm really glad that I didn't pay any attention.

tannhauser
10-03-2011, 07:51 PM
While it's true there's (spelling) no height absolute, some mfgs. don't know how to build for little people, 26 or 29.

Jack Brunk
10-03-2011, 07:58 PM
While it's true there's (spelling) no height absolute, some mfgs. don't know how to build for little people, 26 or 29.
You can say the same about road bikes as well.

gdw
10-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Where are you and what are the local riders using on the trails you intend to ride?

Vientomas
10-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I am vertically challenged as well, although my lateral stiffness is unparalleled :)

I would opt for a 26 inch dual suspension bike with 4 - 5 inches of travel. Aluminum is a fine material for a dual suspension frame as it is light and stiff and the suspension is handling the shock absorption, not the frame tubes. Consider frame angles too. Low and slack is the new trend. The Banshee Spitfire is an example.

If you want exclusivity, try a Turner or a Ventana, both made in the USA and both have great customer service.

I have a Turner 5 Spot which is a fantastic bike. I spent a couple of weeks on a rental Trek Fuel in Utah a couple of years ago riding the White Rim Trail and trails around Moab, and had no complaints with it.

In my opinion dual suspension is about comfort and control over the long haul, not hucking big air in the back yard. Having ridden mountain bikes since the mod 1980's I have come through the progression from fully rigid, to hard tail, to full suspension. Personally I would never go back to a fully rigid or a hard tail.

Good luck!