PDA

View Full Version : Sunday on l'Iseran

velotel
10-03-2011, 03:51 AM
A gorgeous day, couldn't have been better. Not a cloud in the sky, temperatures not too hot, not too cold, in other words perfect for riding. Almost no cyclists at all. Met 2 coming down while I was going up, saw 3 on the col, and that's it. On the other hand must have seen at least 150 motorcyclists, maybe 200. In both directions, on all sorts of bikes. In two's, threes, alone, groups of 6 and more. Nothing organized, just out like I was, taking advantage of the weather.

This climb has been added to my elite group of favorite climbs, along with la Bonette and the south side of the Galibier and a few others. Start was down the valley from the village of Lanslebourg, which is also the start of the climb to Col du Mont Cenis. Comfortable, laid back village. For a french ski resort village amazingly low key actually.

The road to the col has 3 sections, a section with some steep pitches away from the ski resort, a long section in an almost flat valley, and then the final climb to the col. That last section has lots of steep along the way. The middle section was, at least for me, a dream. Rolling easily on my big chainring in the midst of high peaks, some snow clad, some with small glaciers, all steep. The last section is hard but lovely with great views and constantly changing scenery. I had no idea where the col was until I was within a couple kms of it.

Excellent downhill, very fast, semi-technical, lots of concentration required. Definitely a road for passing cars, at least in the upper section. That long, sweet, big chainring valley was a bit of a workout due to the normal afternoon wind heading up the valley, and the last section down to Lanslebourg was fast and fun with some sweet round linked turns.

All in all a fine day. Hard to believe that was the 2nd of october with weather like that. A few shots now to show you the way.

thinpin
10-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Will you guys just stop this tormenting aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.

soulspinner
10-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Great stuff thanks for sharing :beer:

Gothard
10-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Very very nice indeed. Izzat an Eriksen?

jr59
10-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Great pics and I love the jersey. Peter, you are world wide!!!!

bigflax925
10-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Gorgeous pics!

Karin Kirk
10-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Woo hoo - fantastic! What a nice post to read with the morning coffee as I warm up to the realities of the work week. I like your descriptions of the towns, the mountains and the different sections of the climb. Felt like I could be right there alongside! Needless to say, you live in a wonderful place!

velotel
10-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Very very nice indeed. Izzat an Eriksen?
Yep, that's an Eriksen. Lovely ride.

velotel
10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Needless to say, you live in a wonderful place!
Actually I live a bit of distance away from there, near Grenoble, but you're right, it is beautiful.

Here are 3 shots from the house looking across at the Alps.

572cv
10-03-2011, 08:39 PM
We were in the Vercors in September. Wonderful riding with time for one ride in the Alps ( alpe d'huez and the col de sarenne). What a treat. We hope to get back before long. Your pictures are evocative of that recent memory. Thanks!

BumbleBeeDave
10-03-2011, 08:46 PM
. . . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

No more! I'm dying of jealousy!!! :eek: :crap: :(

BBD

Louis
10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Awesome !

Thanks for sharing.

Karin Kirk
10-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Here are 3 shots from the house looking across at the Alps.

Wow! Those are even more spectacular than the riding shots. I love the garden in the foreground with the mountains in the background, that is a common theme here too, but your setting is quite a bit more dramatic than ours. The photo with the balloons is especially cool. Thanks for sharing. :)

northbend
10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
wow! lovely landscapes Velotel

old_fat_and_slow
10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Any of your neighbors have their houses for sale? I am ready to move in. Please keep me aprised of the real estate situation in your neighborhood.

Dang, how many miles are you ridin' these days, you're one fit hombre.

velotel
10-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Any of your neighbors have their houses for sale? I am ready to move in. Please keep me aprised of the real estate situation in your neighborhood.
As a matter of fact it's pretty rare that anything comes up for sale here. And definitely nothing like my place.

Dang, how many miles are you ridin' these days, you're one fit hombre.
Not very much to be honest. Working too much on the house and garden. Rode a lot before my son and his friends came over so I'd be in shape, relatively, to ride with them, sort of at any rate. But since then not nearly enough, a couple or maybe at most 3 outings a week and those are mostly here on the plateau where I live. The Iseran was right at the limit of what I could do given my current training level.