PDA

View Full Version : Late October Trip to Montana - am I insane?

rinconryder
10-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Was thinking about getting a trip into Northern Idaho and Montana for some hiking, trail running and mountain biking. Checked the temps and they are low, but not toooo bad. Was thinking of hitting Coeur d'alene and then working my way over to Glacier National Park. Never seen that part of the area.

My alternative is a trip up the Northern CA coast to crater lake. I live in CA though so the first idea is more appealing but the timing may just be a little late.

akelman
10-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Can you wait until the last minute to decide? If so, great. If not, it's a pretty big risk to go that far north at that time of year. It could be fantastic: perfectly clear skies, crisp air, even less crowded than usual. Or it could be incredibly cold and wet.

beer_meister
10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
They close Going to the Sun Road, for the season, at some point in Glacier. I'm not sure if it is dependent on current conditions, or just some arbitrary date. To me, a trip to GNP without driving GTTS road is very incomplete. Additionally, there is a lot of extra driving required to navigate the park, if it is closed. I believe the road to Waterton National Park gets closed at some point too. Make sure you check the road closure dates before you go.

Additionally, if you plan to do some serious backcountry hiking, get some bear spray. There have been a lot of bear/people incidents in and around Yellowstone this year. You don't want to be a statistic. Get the spray and protect yourself and the bears.

GNP is one of the most beautiful places in North America. Go as soon as you can.

beer_meister
10-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Per the National Park Website:

When is the last time I can drive the entire length of the Going-to-the-Sun Road in 2011?
While portions of the Going-to-the-Sun Road remain open all year, weather and ongoing road rehabilitation may make parts of the Going-to-the-Sun Road inaccessible. This year road construction in September 2011 will make a portion of the Going-to-the-Sun Road inaccessible. The last day to drive to Logan Pass from the west side from West Glacier is September 18. Beginning on September 19th, the section of the Going-to-the-Sun Road between Avalanche and Logan Pass will be inaccessible to vehicles to accommodate accelerated road rehabilitation. There will be vehicle access to Logan Pass from the east side of the park in St. Mary until October 18, weather permitting.

If it were me, I'd defer the trip to next year. GTTS road is a magical experience, and should not be missed.

Scriv
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Was thinking about getting a trip into Northern Idaho and Montana for some hiking, trail running and mountain biking. Checked the temps and they are low, but not toooo bad. Was thinking of hitting Coeur d'alene and then working my way over to Glacier National Park. Never seen that part of the area.

My alternative is a trip up the Northern CA coast to crater lake. I live in CA though so the first idea is more appealing but the timing may just be a little late.

I would suggest not going to Coeur d'alene. It should be avoided at all costs. If you go, you will never want to leave, and if you do leave you will regret having done so. The most beautiful place I have ever been. October in the Rockies is risky in terms of the weather. I saw plenty of snow on the ground when I was in Glacier during the month of August. Good luck no matter what you decide. d

Fixed
10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
astonishing beauty i bet
cheers enjoy

stephenmarklay
10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
You certainly shouldn't have any issues near CDA or north Idaho. We are really have been really warm late this year. Today is aobut 70 and thats much cooler than it has been.

Fall is setting in but I think you will be fine.

Karin Kirk
10-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a fun tip!
As long as you are ready to be flexible if the weather turns on you, I think you'll be fine. It is a beautiful, uncrowded time of year. As Stephen said, we're having a very warm fall. That either means it will continue and you'll be treated to perfect weather, or it will change to snow in a hurry to make up for lost time.

And yes, bring your bear spray.

Kirk007
10-02-2011, 08:41 PM
October in Montana can be outstanding. But Karin is right on all counts. It's also a great time to go to Yellowstone as long as you prepare for the weather extremes that are possible.

noonan1970
10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Per the National Park Website:

When is the last time I can drive the entire length of the Going-to-the-Sun Road in 2011?
While portions of the Going-to-the-Sun Road remain open all year, weather and ongoing road rehabilitation may make parts of the Going-to-the-Sun Road inaccessible. This year road construction in September 2011 will make a portion of the Going-to-the-Sun Road inaccessible. The last day to drive to Logan Pass from the west side from West Glacier is September 18. Beginning on September 19th, the section of the Going-to-the-Sun Road between Avalanche and Logan Pass will be inaccessible to vehicles to accommodate accelerated road rehabilitation. There will be vehicle access to Logan Pass from the east side of the park in St. Mary until October 18, weather permitting.

If it were me, I'd defer the trip to next year. GTTS road is a magical experience, and should not be missed.

not positive, but I think you can ride the road on your bike even though it's closed to cars. May want to call to be sure. If that is the case then that is the best time for the road. No traffic and very quiet and peaceful!!!

Birddog
10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
It was just about this time of year or maybe even a week earlier in 1974 when I pulled my little VW over at the highway entrance to the then brand new Big Sky Resort. It was about 2AM and I just pulled out my sleeping bag and wrapped it around myself. I woke up about 6 AM with 6" of new fresh snow on the car. I had snow all through W Yellowstone and down through Jackson. It looked very pretty but it really sucked for driving, hiking etc.