PDA

View Full Version : hit and runs (by other cyclists)

thegunner
10-01-2011, 01:00 PM
i guess i'm just a little peeved right now because i have a non-functional right shifter, a totaled rear derailleur, a very distorted saddle, and a fractured elbow...

i figured i'd do some base miles in central park today, and on my last lap there were a few ambulances and firetrucks attending to a pedestrian getting hit. after riding around them gingerly, someone blows into me and completely wipes me out. asks if i'm okay (to which i clearly wasn't, but not really responding) and then rides off. thankfully there was an ambulance already there from the other accident.

has this happened to anyone else before? is what he did a completely acceptable - i thought at the very least he should've given me his contact info or made sure i was okay/attended to before leaving, or is this purely an act of nyc cyclist/asshole phenomena? what's the best course of action in the case where i have absolutely zero way of contacting the guilty party? i'm slightly annoyed that i have to replace parts, but i'm even more annoyed that i'm injured and i feel like i have no one to blame now but myself.

i guess i just needed to vent, since i feel a whole lot better now... :p

Ahneida Ride
10-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I suspect this is not a rare event.

echappist
10-01-2011, 02:09 PM
i guess i'm just a little peeved right now because i have a non-functional right shifter, a totaled rear derailleur, a very distorted saddle, and a fractured elbow...

i figured i'd do some base miles in central park today, and on my last lap there were a few ambulances and firetrucks attending to a pedestrian getting hit. after riding around them gingerly, someone blows into me and completely wipes me out. asks if i'm okay (to which i clearly wasn't, but not really responding) and then rides off. thankfully there was an ambulance already there from the other accident.

has this happened to anyone else before? is what he did a completely acceptable - i thought at the very least he should've given me his contact info or made sure i was okay/attended to before leaving, or is this purely an act of nyc cyclist/asshole phenomena? what's the best course of action in the case where i have absolutely zero way of contacting the guilty party? i'm slightly annoyed that i have to replace parts, but i'm even more annoyed that i'm injured and i feel like i have no one to blame now but myself.

i guess i just needed to vent, since i feel a whole lot better now... :p

ouch. fractured elbow? Hope you heal up.

what he did was completely unacceptable. If i were the perp, i'd leave contact information. He's probably scared sh**less about all the civil damages he'll have to pay and just shirked his responsibilities. Do you remember the type of bike he was riding or have a physical description of him? You may even want to file a police report. I don't know if there's a John Doe warrant applicable, but you could always try.

That said, there's no reason for you to be training in CP right now. The weekend is when the weekend warriors come out en masse, and those people are totally clueless about how to ride a bike.

bike22
10-01-2011, 02:10 PM
happens all the time in racing, someone gets hit and no one stops.
par for the course.

echappist
10-01-2011, 02:15 PM
par for the course.
except this was not at a race. Besides, you waive your right to sue anybody when you enter a race, which is obviously not the case here.

Fixed
10-01-2011, 02:18 PM
be thankful you still know who you are ..

was there a traffic cam there ?
imho
it is a like a
needle in a haystack
finding this hit and run
cyclist in n.y.c.

cheers

ultraman6970
10-01-2011, 02:28 PM
There's stupid riders everywhere, and believe me I have seen a lot of stupid things while riding a bike in the last 30 years. Even one guy that did not see a car crossing the road because he was very entertained talking with a girl up to a sucker that went off the banks in a track, the worse thing was that was after a sprint and everybody after the finish line goes to the upper banks, this moron instead of doing that he just went straight ahead and crash the upper fence and got to the upper seats, one week gone in the hospital. Asked him after a few years and until today he doesnt know why he did it more than stupidity.

Good luck with the elbow, maybe some forum member has some parts to help you??

bike22
10-01-2011, 02:29 PM
except this was not at a race. Besides, you waive your right to sue anybody when you enter a race, which is obviously not the case here.
a hit and run is still a hit and run, racing or not.

bike22
10-01-2011, 02:31 PM
i don't understand the suing part, either.

echappist
10-01-2011, 02:56 PM
i don't understand the suing part, either.
before anyone can enter a bike race, you have to sign a form saying you will hold everyone (organizers, other racers, volunteers, etc.) harmless

as for crashes. it happens all the time. You notify the officials, who'll then do something about it. It's an inherent risk of bike racing...

Louis
10-01-2011, 03:33 PM
@holes ride bikes also.

csm
10-01-2011, 03:37 PM
@holes ride bikes also.
they're everywhere.

BillG
10-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Very similar thing happened to me. Fortunately I didn't break my elbow. It was a fixhole who didn't know who to stop and so he knocked me over, yelled "Sorry" and rode away. I was bloodied but not broken. Really sorry to hear that and I hope you heal up quick.

verticaldoug
10-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I hope you heal quickly.

You experienced first hand why the NYC DOT is spending all the money on the educational bike smart campaign 'Don't be a Jerk'

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/bicyclists/dontbeajerk.shtml

There are a lot of jerks out there now.

ultraman6970
10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
NYC" dont be a jerk" is educating the NYCPD aswell? no matter how well you educate the riders, at some point for x or y reason some rider will need to ride off the bike lines (for example a cop parking in there or a truck) and the rider could get ticketed too.

verticaldoug
10-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Ultraman, I don't disagree with you. There seems to be a massive shortage of common sense in the population now. If everyone exercised a little common sense, the city would be a much more pleasant place. The motorist talking on their cell phone and the cyclist/pedestrian with earphones blasting have a lot of stupidity in common. The cyclist riding too fast in a multi-use park during high hours and the pedestrian walking like a drunk sailor with a ipod is a recipe for disaster. All are exercising their lack of common sense.
As for the NYPD, I think the pepper spray video says a lot about their lack of restraint.

rugbysecondrow
10-01-2011, 09:10 PM
par for the course.

Yep, and people get hit and and tackled in rugby, doesn't make it acceptable elsewhere.

Cycling has more dickheads than elsewhere...you just found another.

dhoff
10-01-2011, 11:36 PM
In NY State, bicycles are required to abide by the rules of the road. You were the victim of a Criminal Act. That and an inconsiderate Son of .......

I am glad you are OK

People like that make the world harder for cyclists.

This has NOTHING to do with Racing and it has nothing to do with our gripes about the Police.

This has to do with Cyclists being responsible.

thegunner
10-01-2011, 11:42 PM
thanks all, after a few hours (and pain meds! they help!) i've come to accept that this is more or less just par for the course. i ride about 10k miles a year, and i guess it was bound to happen. i should just be thankful it took as long as it did.

:) maybe a couple weeks off the bike will be good for me

beeatnik
10-02-2011, 04:26 AM
Very similar thing happened to me. Fortunately I didn't break my elbow. It was a fixhole who didn't know who to stop and so he knocked me over, yelled "Sorry" and rode away. I was bloodied but not broken. Really sorry to hear that and I hope you heal up quick.

There's a major bike path/trail in my town that runs along a river. Although it's clearly marked as a bike path, runners and pedestrians are always walking along the center divider. When I first got back into cycling, I would mainly ride fixed. Since I wasn't comfortable riding one of my track bikes on city streets, I would take my brakeless bike to the bike path. One afternoon, I was heading south and two pedestrians were in my lane, I yelled out to them but they were clueless. At the same time a roadie was approaching northbound at about 20 mph. He realized that the pedestrians were oblivious but instead of slowing down or moving right a foot so I could pass, he held his ground, forcing me to crash into a fence. I guess it was partially my fault since I couldn't slow down in time and stop behind the dog walkers, but at the same time they were also weaving from lane to lane and that forced me to hesitate. Short story long, the roadie didn't even look back for a second.

gemship
10-02-2011, 07:23 AM
thanks all, after a few hours (and pain meds! they help!) i've come to accept that this is more or less just par for the course. i ride about 10k miles a year, and i guess it was bound to happen. i should just be thankful it took as long as it did.

Thegunner got gunned down. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield. All kidding aside, I'm not sure the dude that hit you was a dickhead shirking his fault in this accident. At least he asked if you were okay albeit in a New York minute. So in saying that you ride a wicked lot, you know its never easy and yet you love it and take the risk. Don't stop doing what you love. Don't let it bring you down and don't be one of those sue happy yahoos so quick to blame, although I do think your totally in the right for venting here and it's no surprise at least for me to see some members get all sue happy.

Rubber side down, cheers.

BumbleBeeDave
10-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Ultraman, I don't disagree with you. There seems to be a massive shortage of common sense in the population now. If everyone exercised a little common sense, the city would be a much more pleasant place. The motorist talking on their cell phone and the cyclist/pedestrian with earphones blasting have a lot of stupidity in common. The cyclist riding too fast in a multi-use park during high hours and the pedestrian walking like a drunk sailor with a ipod is a recipe for disaster. All are exercising their lack of common sense.
As for the NYPD, I think the pepper spray video says a lot about their lack of restraint.

. . . have just as much selfishness and arrogant entitlement as they do lack of common sense.

Unfortunately, our society over the past 20-30 years--at least that's the only adult experience I have--has bred a high percentage of the population that see absolutely nothing but their own viewpoint and desires. In their eyes, it seems to be the duty ofthe rest of the world to get out of THEIR way, not their role to look out for themselves or--GOD FORBID--other people. Whether it's pedestrians pecking on smartphones or listening to iPods, or drivers doing many of the same things or, yes, cyclists engaging in the same behaviors, they all all bespeak the attitude that "I am more important than everyone else and they had better look out for ME."

How many times have you been riding and passed on a blind curve or blind hill crest by someone who couldn't wait even FIVE SECONDS until they could really see over the crest or around the bend?

Our society has further enforced this behavior through devices--mainly insurance--that eliminate immediate consequences for improper behavior. In many instances damages are taken care of by insurance or for kids, Mom and Dad "fix" it for them and there's no immediate lesson. Criminal or civil cases can take years to wind through the court system--often to uncertain results. How many times have you read of felonies bargained down to misdemeanors or perps who disappear and are never held accountable? . . . like this micreant in Central Park?

The end result is a whole lot of people around today who think only of themselves and everybody else be damned. Some of them end up dead because of their inattention, but most never do--they just keep right on barrelling into other cyclists, drivers, pedestrians, etc, then running away.

End of crotchety, old-guy before his time Sunday morning rant . . . :crap: :rolleyes:

BBD

nighthawk
10-02-2011, 08:41 AM
. . . have just as much selfishness and arrogant entitlement as they do lack of common sense.

Unfortunately, our society over the past 20-30 years--at least that's the only adult experience I have--has bred a high percentage of the population that see absolutely nothing but their own viewpoint and desires. In their eyes, it seems to be the duty ofthe rest of the world to get out of THEIR way, not their role to look out for themselves or--GOD FORBID--other people. Whether it's pedestrians pecking on smartphones or listening to iPods, or drivers doing many of the same things or, yes, cyclists engaging in the same behaviors, they all all bespeak the attitude that "I am more important than everyone else and they had better look out for ME."

How many times have you been riding and passed on a blind curve or blind hill crest by someone who couldn't wait even FIVE SECONDS until they could really see over the crest or around the bend?

Our society has further enforced this behavior through devices--mainly insurance--that eliminate immediate consequences for improper behavior. In many instances damages are taken care of by insurance or for kids, Mom and Dad "fix" it for them and there's no immediate lesson. Criminal or civil cases can take years to wind through the court system--often to uncertain results. How many times have you read of felonies bargained down to misdemeanors or perps who disappear and are never held accountable? . . . like this micreant in Central Park?

The end result is a whole lot of people around today who think only of themselves and everybody else be damned. Some of them end up dead because of their inattention, but most never do--they just keep right on barrelling into other cyclists, drivers, pedestrians, etc, then running away.

End of crotchety, old-guy before his time Sunday morning rant . . . :crap: :rolleyes:

BBD

AMEN!

zap
10-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Heal well and fast.

edl
10-02-2011, 09:41 AM
All kidding aside, I'm not sure the dude that hit you was a dickhead shirking his fault in this accident. At least he asked if you were okay albeit in a New York minute.

Are you serious? So if I was walking on the street and ran into a lady carrying her groceries, knocked her over and spilled her bags, I could just ask if she was okay and then leave before she responded?

Wow. I want to move to New York!

gemship
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Are you serious? So if I was walking on the street and ran into a lady carrying her groceries, knocked her over and spilled her bags, I could just ask if she was okay and then leave before she responded?

Wow. I want to move to New York!

Yes I am completely serious and absolutely will not recant my post. I basically feel like hey accidents happen, not worth the bs to sue over plus suing is just silly anyway, it's a problem with society. If the op had said,"no I don't feel good" then things may of worked out completely different,maybe the guy would of stopped and asked what can I do to help. We don't know that, the op admitted he didn't give a answer. Now if you want to move to New York where you assume it's okay to be rude and assault people then have at, I don't live there nor do I live in San Fran. Not sure if you would find a worser group of people moving to NYC.

rugbysecondrow
10-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Yes I am completely serious and absolutely will not recant my post. I basically feel like hey accidents happen, not worth the bs to sue over plus suing is just silly anyway, it's a problem with society. If the op had said,"no I don't feel good" then things may of worked out completely different,maybe the guy would of stopped and asked what can I do to help. We don't know that, the op admitted he didn't give a answer. Now if you want to move to New York where you assume it's okay to be rude and assault people then have at, I don't live there nor do I live in San Fran. Not sure if you would find a worser group of people moving to NYC.

If it were a car that hit and ran, would you be so cavalier about this? The guy should have stopped and been sure that the OP was OK and, at the very least, was able to continue on.

Karma is a muthafarker.

echappist
10-02-2011, 04:04 PM
If it were a car that hit and ran, would you be so cavalier about this? The guy should have stopped and been sure that the OP was OK and, at the very least, was able to continue on.

Karma is a muthafarker.
+1. Just because the dirtbag was on two wheels doesn't exculpate him from his crime (i.e. hit and run).

thegunner
10-02-2011, 05:18 PM

sorry, i was mostly just sitting there trying to stop the blood dripping profusely from my arm. i wasn't exactly thinking right at the moment :p

CaptStash
10-02-2011, 06:29 PM

the heck with the legal ramifications. What about doing the right thing? Even if I wasn't involved I would have stopped and made sure a man down was ok. And riding off without really checking does not count. There is absolutely no excuse for the guy who hit the OP not stopping and offering assistance. It's not about the law, it's about doing the right thing, and sometimes that means not getting your whole workout in, being late or maybe even risking being sued.

End rant.

gemship
10-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Karma is a muthafarker.

Cavelier? Coming from you, that is funny. I suppose thegunner implied that he who hit him acted this way and I am being rather agreeable of the hitter's actions afterward. On the other hand we are only getting one side of the story here and thegunner admitted that he didn't respond when asked if he was ok. You hit someone by accident while riding your bike, you ask if they are ok, get no response, now you can hang around and see what happens next or you can move on. I'm not sure anyone here would do much different, I mean some say it like they would but saying and doing are different things.

rugbysecondrow
10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Cavelier? Coming from you, that is funny. I suppose thegunner implied that he who hit him acted this way and I am being rather agreeable of the hitter's actions afterward. On the other hand we are only getting one side of the story here and thegunner admitted that he didn't respond when asked if he was ok. You hit someone by accident while riding your bike, you ask if they are ok, get no response, now you can hang around and see what happens next or you can move on. I'm not sure anyone here would do much different, I mean some say it like they would but saying and doing are different things.

I have met many folks from here, I think all of them would stop to aid somebody they just knocked over. Frankly, if there is no response that would be a sign one might actually need aid due to concussion or other trauma.

You seem to be projecting quite a bit.

BumbleBeeDave
10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
. . . my idea of "the right thing" would be to determine with certainty whether they are OK.

Just asking "Are you OK?" and not getting an answer would not do it. In fact, NOT getting an answer would come across to me as an indication they are incapable of responding and therefore most certainly DO need some help.

BBD

rugbysecondrow
10-03-2011, 02:31 PM
. . . my idea of "the right thing" would be to determine with certainty whether they are OK.

Just asking "Are you OK?" and not getting an answer would not do it. In fact, NOT getting an answer would come across to me as an indication they are incapable of responding and therefore most certainly DO need some help.

BBD

agreed.

gdw
10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Wow, I'm amazed and disgusted that anyone would argue that the asshat who caused this accident acted properly.

gemship
10-03-2011, 03:45 PM
I have met many folks from here, I think all of them would stop to aid somebody they just knocked over. Frankly, if there is no response that would be a sign one might actually need aid due to concussion or other trauma.

You seem to be projecting quite a bit.

Who here isn't projecting? I only know what I read and then I'm left to wonder what if, I simply wasn't there to actually see what happened. I think if the guy was left unconscious if would be a different story, just like getting hit by a car is totally apples to oranges when compared to this. I'd really have to be there to see what happened, until then its just something to text about.

rugbysecondrow
10-03-2011, 03:47 PM
our view of world is different I suppose.

gemship
10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
our view of world is different I suppose.

No doubt about that, I have absolutely no problem with rolling stops on my bicycles at all stop signs. Just an example:p

gemship
10-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Seriously the guy made quite possibly a error or was oblivious to someone stopped in front of him followed by bad manners but we all have to take some responsibility for being present.

rugbysecondrow
10-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Seriously the guy made quite possibly a error or was oblivious to someone stopped in front of him followed by bad manners but we all have to take some responsibility for being present.

Bad manners? It is the difference between spilling iced tea vs hot coffee...one hurts and requires medical attention, one just pisses you off. We are big people here, we should know the difference. However it transpired, a man was down and the other person had an obligation. Hell, if I was hit and it was the other guy down, I would still help him out. Being upset is one thing, not tending to the basic needs of another human is something different.

FlashUNC
10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
You have to stop, not even just from the legal sense.

Sure, stuff happens, but you still need to check that the other person involved in the mashup doesn't need help.

Boggles my mind you'd have someone think its alright just to roll off without any effort to aid someone involved. Heck, when I'm group rides, people usually stop in droves to help with a flat tire, much less a hurt person.

54ny77
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
buddy of mine got hit & run into by uber-fred in cp a couple years ago, broken pelvis & very bruised arm plus lots of abrasions, noggin' whacked good & hard but thank god for helmets.

the guy who did the damage took off, didn't even bother asking if my pal was ok.

a very kind and good samaritan runner (he stayed with my buddy and helped flag down an ambulance), who was also a cyclist, saw it unfold but it all happened so fast that he couldn't make out the kit of the at-fault rider.

couldn't ever find the bugger, try as we did in various ways.

Ti_on_Steel
10-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Central Park is a pretty dangerous spot to begin with. I only ride there weekday mornings. Tourists on rental bikes seem to be laser guided for crashing into me .

Fixed
10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
i walked central park it was fun
cheers
mrs fixed wanted me to rent a bike but i thought a walk better

BumbleBeeDave
10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
. . . "doing the right thing." But maybe I could have made my earlier rant much shorter and just observed there seems to be less and less interest in our society today in "doing the right thing."

BBD

You have to stop, not even just from the legal sense.

Sure, stuff happens, but you still need to check that the other person involved in the mashup doesn't need help.

Boggles my mind you'd have someone think its alright just to roll off without any effort to aid someone involved. Heck, when I'm group rides, people usually stop in droves to help with a flat tire, much less a hurt person.