PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Eye Wear (Rudy Project, et al)

97CSI
07-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Going to the eye Doc next week and plan to order a set of Rudy Project, or similar, prescription glasses. Anyone have any experience with these? Did you order from the Doc or have your local folks put the Rx lens in place? Did you get the anti-scratch and/or anti-glare coatings on the Rx lens or leave that to the tinted lens? What +/-'s do you have using these rather than a pair of regular prescription sunglasses. I currently use a pair of Serengeti sunglasses and have problems with wind coming down steep hills (35+) making my eyes water badly and am hoping a set of riding glasses will do a better job on this. Thanks.

christian
07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
If you're considering rx cycling glasses, you absolutely MUST get in touch with Bret Hunter at SportsOptical.com. Send him your prescription, and talk to him on the phone. Bret can simply do things other people can't.

I had a set of prescription Rudy Ekynox (not from Bret) and they were pretty awful. If I tried to follow an object moving across my path of vision, I'd get seasick, and the optical quality was so-so.

I sent the frames to Bret and got two sets of rx lenses from him (one set of 85% gray lenses for use cycling and in the race car and one set of ~70% yellow lenses). They are amazing! Exceptional clarity, no distortion, etc. I could go on for days. Seriously, I can't begin to describe the difference. Let's just say these lenses have changed my cycling life.

Here's Bret's website: http://www.sportsoptical.com/
Here's an article from PezCycling:
http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2963

Oh, and in full disclosure, Bret gave me a discount, since he thought rallying was a neat use for rx glasses, but I would happily have paid full price. In fact, I'm planning on getting two additional sets of lenses soon.

Oh, yeah, he's probably cheaper than your local eye doc, too. :cool:

I'm about -2.25 and -1.75.

- Christian

OilyFish
07-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I would suggest that whether you are long or short sighted and the extent to which you are will come into play. I have +2.5 and +4.5, which precludes Oakleys, due to lens curvature, and has similar implications even with the insert type of spectacles. ( The centre of the lens touches the outer, leading to an incorrect fit and abrasion.)

The cheapest and most versatile solution I have found to date are Addidas insert type lenses and frames, and I have tried for many years.

The long view.

Brons2
07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I have regular old cheapie glasses that I ride with if I'm not wearing my contacts. They are LA Gear glasses I think with 80% grey. I got another pair with very light tint and the polycarbonate lenses on both for like $120. They work fine for me.

I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the Rx sunglasses to contacts and regular suglasses when riding. The sweat dripping into my eyes irritates my contacts.

NateM
07-19-2005, 05:12 PM
I have a pair of Zeal 'Blasts' put together by http://www.rx-spex.com/home/index.html the price was right as well as product,very little distortion with the large lenses on the Blasts.They also deal with Rudy project.

PBWrench
07-19-2005, 05:42 PM
I echo Christian's endorsement of Brett at Sports Optical. I got the same RPs and have been extremely satisfied. I sent him the RX and then he explained the range of frames that would work for me.

Dekonick
07-19-2005, 05:58 PM
May I suggest Lasik?

Can't say enough good things about lasik.

97CSI
07-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Well......to be honest, I'm an old guy (57) and very conservative (except for my politics), so Lasik and RK are not for me. I'll wait another 10 years to see what the long-term results on those might be.

I'll be getting in touch with Brett at Sports Optical once I get my prescription. Is fairly mild, so he should be able to fix me up. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Rapid Tourist
07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
I did a fair amount of looking around two years ago for prescription sports glasses and ended up using Zeal Optics. www.zealoptics.com

At the time, zeal was one of the very few manufacturers that seemed to make prescription cycling glasses that did not use one of those clunky prescription inserts that attaches to the frame. :cool:

I have the zector frame. The fog resistance could be better, but I'm very happy with the lens quality and the protection against wind.

sirroada
07-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Got a pair of Rudy Project prescription sunglasses and I love them. Took about 1-2 rides to get used to them but now I really appreciate them. I have had them for 2 years and I don't even notice the prescription lenses in them.
I would not recommend Lasik-yet. As a chiropractic physician I have had many an opportunity to review research articles on the procedure (research written by the medical community) and while it works for a lot of people there are still a few who have had side effects from the procedure. Some of the side effects are blurry vision, seeing halo's around lights at night, lens damage, cornea damage. Also, the jury is out on long term effects of the procedure. Stick with RX glasses, get them from your optometrist and wait 10 years on the lasik. Good luck and have fun riding.

97CSI
07-20-2005, 10:30 AM
I have the zector frame. The fog resistance could be better, but I'm very happy with the lens quality and the protection against wind.I like the looks of that frame. Great minds think alike as I picked it before reading your post closely. Which lens set did you choose? Thinking the ZB13P (polarized) and a set of gray. Very reasonably priced.

Just got off the phone with Zeal. They are sending me a set of Zectors for review with both the ZB13 and gray polarized lenses. If I don't like I can return for full credit. If I like simply fax them my prescription and send back the non-Rx lenses and they send along the new lenses. Got the Topaz Blue frameset to match my Sapphire Blue CdA. :D Guess I am in 'high-poseur' mode.

Bill Bove
07-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Maybe i missed it earlier but did anybody mention contacts? I got them last year after years of riding in prescription Ray Bans (sorry e-Richie, black like Jack :cool: , not red) I'm very happy with them on the bike but take them out the rest of the day. Going contacts has allowed me to try all the fancy/schmancy, cool glasses for riding. My favorites are the Rudy's

97CSI
07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Tried contacts. But many years ago and they drove me nuts. Luckily, my eyesight is not too bad. So the guys at Zeal and Sports Optical can both put into a pair of zoomy glasses with prescription lenses without the inserts.

Rapid Tourist
07-20-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm glad to hear you spoke with Zeal. I liked their policy of sending the frames to try before buying the whole prescription deal. You'll be stylin' soon. :cool:

My frames are blue in color and the lenses I got are brown which I like better than a dark black or grey lens. I find the brown lenses help you see when you go through a dark shady portion of a ride (like under a bridge or something).

My prescription is pretty strong (3+ I believe) so I find it a little difficult to switch the lenses out. But maybe if your lenses are not so thick yours will be easier. Send me a pm when you get em and let me know how you like em!!! :banana:

D-Squared
07-20-2005, 08:19 PM
I bought the Rudy Kabrio -- they have flip up lenses that can be taken off. I bought the Ti version and love the glasses.

97CSI
07-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Tried the Zeal Zektor. Unfortunately, for me it doesn't work. Fits too close to my face so my eyelash hits the inside of the lens. Talk about distracting. Other than that, they were nice glasses.

Have ordered a couple of different sets of the Rudy Project glasses from Sports Optics to see if their adjustable nose piece makes this eyelash thing go away.

Frustration
07-28-2005, 11:42 AM
I have used Zeal, Adidas and SportsOptics.

I love the Sports Optics type. They are just plain glasses. No inserts. Curved lenses, Irridium or not, just about anything you want, they have...

The Pez Review has pictures and words...
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2963

The Adidas super light inserts are very good too...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1792

Adidas Evil Eyes are more bulky, but not bad

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2052

Easily of the three, the stuff from Sports Optical are top flight. The draw back is that changng lenses means having another set of RX lenses made. But the performance and the options and the Non-Clunkyness are a real plus. Fully adjustable temples and nose etc... Any features you want in Rudy are there (also smith and a few others).

eddief
07-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Been using these for a couple of years and like em a lot.

Flip up sun glass with perscription underneath. Allows seeing in all light conditions. Bought system off the net and took insert to local opt. for input of clear lenses. No coatings as I thought the sun glass would protect the insert.

The opt used an alcohol based cleaner when they gave the glasses to me and it cracked the insert.

A call to Rudy led to finding out there could be a reaction of that plastic to alcohol. They sent me a new insert free of charge. They may have made an adjustment to the composition of the plastic.

Regardless, I do think these are great glasses. And I believe Rick Santorum endorses them too.

97CSI
07-28-2005, 12:07 PM
And I believe Rich Santorum endorses them too. :fight:

Spectrum Bob
02-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Anyone have any updates on this topic?
I am thinking of new glasses for the spring

malcolm
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
I'll give a nod to spors optical. I got some rudys from them after hearing bout them on this forum and they have been great. The only way you can tell the lens from the standard rudy is you can tell the edge has been hand shaped. Good prompt service. Malcolm

MartyE
02-15-2006, 10:40 AM
I opted for Rudy Project Rydons.
My Rx isn't too severe (+1.25 and +1.00) and they work well
in the inserts. I don't have a problem with tracking moving objects and
have never felt seasick in them.
One reason I went for the Rudy's is that I can switch lenses for varying
light conditions and not have to purchase multiple Rx lenses.
I had the local opticians do the Rx insert and it was covered by
my vision plan.

Does anyone have experience with Rudy's new lense the impact x?
Its the first replacable plastic photogrey lense I've seen.

Marty

ericspin
02-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I ride with Oakley Half Jackets with an Oakley progressive lens that is killer. Great optics as usual for Oakley and pricey as usual. I use to use inserts but since I found that Oakley did the progressives I love 'em.

christian
02-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm still using my Rudy Project Ekynox glasses from SportsOptical.com. I have yellow, gray, and clear lenses, and use them daily for car racing, cycling, nordic skiing, alpine skiing, running, and playing floorball.

After a year of use, I couldn't be more satisfied.

- Christian

nm87710
02-15-2006, 06:58 PM
www.sportrx.com

Great service, price and quick turnaround. Much lower cost than anybody else. They made 2 pairs of Zeal Rush for me $169 ea.

If your prescription will work in-frame that's they way to go and skip the inserts.

sevencyclist
02-15-2006, 08:13 PM
I got a pair of Rudy Rydons SX with Bichromic pink lenses two weeks ago. Since I have small face, it is the only one that would not touch my cheek. It works well in the sun and in slightly overcast conditions.

However, I have noticed that in low light setting, lights (such as traffic light or brake light from cars ahead) seems to cause triple vision. It is annoying. I noticed this problem because I put the glasses on at daybreak to go riding and found that I was seeing three lights. This problem improved once the sun came out and things got bright, but I can still see faintly three spots for the bright spots such as sun reflecting off rear view mirror of cars ahead. I don't know if anyone notice this problem as well.

BumbleBeeDave
02-15-2006, 09:01 PM
. . . -6.5 and -8.0. I have been wearing Bolle Parole's with their insert with very good results. Last month I got some Rx lenses for the Rudy Skeey's I picked up on eBay last fall. Their insert is great, even though my Rx is way beyond what they say is their limit--I think it's about 4.0.

On all the glasses I've used, though, I've noticed that properly adjusting the orientation of the insert lenses to your eyes is really important, especially with a high correction. With every pair I've gotten, the optician has just slapped the lenses and insert in there and I have to fiddle with the adjustment, bending and moving things until I get it juuuuuust right. You have to consider where the insert puts the the lenses as far as distance from your eye and where the optical center of the lense ends up, since often sunglasses end up placing it somewhat off of where a regular pair of glasses would put it.

I'm also very conservative about Lasik and those other procedures. I make my living with my eyes and I only have one pair.

BBD

Marburg
02-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Last month I got some Rx lenses for the Rudy Skeey's I picked up on eBay last fall. BBD

Hey BBD, could you expand a bit on how you get te Rx insert from Rudy.

I'm right there with ya (-7 and -7.25) and I was going post something to the extent of "I want to hear from someone with a real prescription"

BumbleBeeDave
02-15-2006, 09:53 PM
. . . you can order. Doesn't come with the glasses, though. Rudy makes inserts for most of their glasses. I got the Skeeys on eBay after wanting some bad when they were in production but never wanted to spend the dough. Got the glasses for $50 and the insert for about $15. I like the Rudy insert because it's wire, not plastic, and the insert comes with the white plastic guide blanks for the lensmaker to use.

But you really do have to fiddle around to get them adjusted just so. Depending on how they fit your face, you may also have to insist that the optician do a special measurement with them actually on your face to find where exactly to put the optical center of the lens, since the way some of these sit the optical center may not be exactly where the physical center of the lens is.

I always wanted Oakleys, too, but they have those funky ones that click right into the tinted lenses and they won't go beyond about 4.0 iwth them.

BBD

Ken Robb
02-15-2006, 11:11 PM
I got some RayBan Daddios with my prescription. They work great, light, fit well. Lenscrafters.

Spectrum Bob
02-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks everyone for your input – I have another question – I use progressive lenses and have them in my current insert that I have been using for several years – I want to eliminate the insert with new glasses and here is the question – I need the bifocal so I can read a cue sheet and computer – I like having multiple lenses for different light conditions – has any one gone from progressives for regular glasses and regular bifocals for on the bike and is noticeable?

Birddog
02-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your input – I have another question – I use progressive lenses and have them in my current insert that I have been using for several years – I want to eliminate the insert with new glasses and here is the question – I need the bifocal so I can read a cue sheet and computer – I like having multiple lenses for different light conditions – has any one gone from progressives for regular glasses and regular bifocals for on the bike and is noticeable?

Bob I've read this a couple of times, and I'm still not sure what you're asking, so with that here's an answer to something you may not have asked.

I currently use Bolle Vigilantes (an insert type rx) with a regular bi-focal, the ones with the little window. Same as you, I want to read the computer etc.. This is my 3rd pair, I like them plenty and use them for skiing as well as riding. I'm about to go over to Rudy's, (the new model of flip up, not sure of the name, maybe "Exception"). On the new pair, I'm going to go with progressives on the insert. I've tired of the focusing problem when neither the window nor the field are just quite right. In fact, it's starting to drive me nuts.

I know a ski patrolman at Taos who uses the Rudy RB2 with progressives, and he says they are the best, and nearly indestructable too. As a ski patroler, he has to have the ability to change lenses for different conditions, and the flip up feature is perfect for when he goes indoors to write up his accident reports. The Exception is a newer model similar to the RB2.
Hope this answers a question.

Birddog

seehunt
02-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Check out Nike's Nylon frames.
I have tried nearly all sunwear on the market, and find these the most comfortable on your nose. They have soft rubberized plastic nosepads with multiple slits to allow it to conform to most nose shapes.
Most of the other brands have hard nosepads which really bother many peoples noses after a few hours of wear.
Many, but not all Nike frames take Rx'es.
Some will even accommodate a lens with a +6 front base curve, which will save you a fortune in lab fees, and the price of Rx. lenses.
With any of the wrap type frames, there is a limit on prescription power due to peripheral distortion. Looking around can make you feel seasick if you exceed these limits. (some people get seasick even with lower power prescriptions)
If I was going to do a progressive for a patient, I would stick to a frame with smaller field of view inserts. (like the Vigilante or the new Nike frame)
This is because the progressive is very likely to add to peripheral distortion.
Another, less expensive option, is to get a pair of Optex 2020 press on inserts. They look like a regular bifocal and press onto the back surface of the lenses. They are available in most common powers.
Don't wear non impact resistant junk glasses.
Your eyes deserve as much protection as your head does. :crap:

BumbleBeeDave
02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
. . . I forgot to add. Keep in mind that when you are riding a bike, particularly, bent over on the hoods or drops, you are not looking through the exact middle of the lense because your head is at an angle. This is another reason you may need to have the optician custom measure where to put the optical center of the lens for your insert. Regular glasses are usually made assuming you will be looking through them with your head held up straight.

BBD

Spectrum Bob
02-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Birddog – you got it right – I have been using progressive lenses in my current set up and they work well – the last time I spoke to the Sports Optic they said they were getting ready to produce a progressive lens for Rudy frames – needless to say the progressive option with multiple lenses is rather expensive – a standard bifocal is much less expensive – the reason for my last question.
Maybe I need to check into the RB2
Thanks again,
Bob

TMB
04-29-2007, 08:26 PM
. . . -6.5 and -8.0. I have been wearing Bolle Parole's with their insert with very good results. Last month I got some Rx lenses for the Rudy Skeey's I picked up on eBay last fall. Their insert is great, even though my Rx is way beyond what they say is their limit--I think it's about 4.0.

On all the glasses I've used, though, I've noticed that properly adjusting the orientation of the insert lenses to your eyes is really important, especially with a high correction. With every pair I've gotten, the optician has just slapped the lenses and insert in there and I have to fiddle with the adjustment, bending and moving things until I get it juuuuuust right. You have to consider where the insert puts the the lenses as far as distance from your eye and where the optical center of the lense ends up, since often sunglasses end up placing it somewhat off of where a regular pair of glasses would put it.

I'm also very conservative about Lasik and those other procedures. I make my living with my eyes and I only have one pair.

BBD

I was very happy to have come across this old thread - please bear with me for digging it up again.

My prescription is -6.0 / -6.25

I have held off on the Rudy insert because of their stateent as to what will fit. Certainly, it would much cheaper for me to go this way than to go full Rx lenses.

I find it becoming very difficult to comfy with my contacts now-a-days and my glasses are progressive.

Does anyone know if the insert will work with high-index glass? I don't see why it wouldn't.

I went into the optician today and was told that I cannot get polarized high-index so the thought of getting a set of Rx Sunglasses was out.

Failing being able to do something with the insert I guess I will be down to just getting a second pair of glasses made and having clip - ons for them - not the best solution.

Thoughts - the Rudy insert with high-index glass???

jbl
04-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Thoughts - the Rudy insert with high-index glass???

The folks at RX-Spex (http://www.rx-spex.com/home/index.html) might be able to help. I'm told that they are the go-to people for difficult prescriptions.

I got my Rydons from them, as well as a standard set of inserts and have been quite pleased.

djg21
04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Going to the eye Doc next week and plan to order a set of Rudy Project, or similar, prescription glasses. Anyone have any experience with these? Did you order from the Doc or have your local folks put the Rx lens in place? Did you get the anti-scratch and/or anti-glare coatings on the Rx lens or leave that to the tinted lens? What +/-'s do you have using these rather than a pair of regular prescription sunglasses. I currently use a pair of Serengeti sunglasses and have problems with wind coming down steep hills (35+) making my eyes water badly and am hoping a set of riding glasses will do a better job on this. Thanks.

I just got a set of the Rudy Projects and I like them. I had Lasix a number of years ago, but a recent collision with a car while riding my bike resulted in some trauma to my face and eyes, and I now need glasses again until I can have the Lasix repaired in about a year's time. I've used bolles in the past, and I didn't like them at all. The Rudy Projects are much nicer.

I purchased them from a store in Latham NY called Active RX which sells only glasses/corrective lenses for sports (cycling, swimming, scuba diving, motorcycle, etc). I chose the rose photochromatic lens, thinking I could always buy a darker lens for bright days. So far, the photochromatic lens has been great in all conditions, and I prefer it because I often ride in the afternoon as the sun is starting to set.

The prescription lenses are on a snap-in insert. I figure that I will continue to use the Rudy Projects without the inserts once my Lasix has been repaired. My prescription isn't too stong these days: +1.75/+1.5.

My understanding is the the Rudy Project lenses are scratch resistant.

ti_boi
04-30-2007, 08:59 AM

My Maui Jim's are the best $500 I've spent....ever.

dekindy
05-01-2007, 06:24 AM
I would suggest that whether you are long or short sighted and the extent to which you are will come into play. I have +2.5 and +4.5, which precludes Oakleys, due to lens curvature, and has similar implications even with the insert type of spectacles. ( The centre of the lens touches the outer, leading to an incorrect fit and abrasion.)

The cheapest and most versatile solution I have found to date are Addidas insert type lenses and frames, and I have tried for many years.

The long view.

I have a pair of these also and like them a lot. Get grey lenses for bright sunlight and yellow lenses for overcast days and night riding..

Dave
05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Rudy Project offers a prescription service. Last year I got a pair of Apache Sx frames (for small faces), with progressive bifocals. They work great. My local optometrist sent the frames to Rudy and they they filled the prescription, with the polarized lens of my choice.

Blue Jays
10-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Currently using a two pairs of prescription Rudy Project Ekynox SX sunglasses. One pair has their "racing red" tint and the other has their "copper orange" tint. Performance is excellent and coverage doesn't allow any sunlight to creep in around the edges.

The important thing with sunglasses used for cycling, skiing, or motorcycling is that they NOT be polarized. This is absolutely crucial. Polarization introduces a "shift" to the way light reaches the eye. It prevents shimmer and glare...and makes icy surfaces nearly invisible. If one is pedaling a roadbike on asphalt you'll want to see the telltale glare of ice on the roadway to remain upright! The same goes for skiing, seeing changes in snow texture is only possible with a non-polarized lens.

Enjoy!

Ken Robb
10-09-2007, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=Blue Jays]Currently using a two pairs of prescription Rudy Project Ekynox SX sunglasses. One pair has their "racing red" tint and the other has their "copper orange" tint. Performance is excellent and coverage doesn't allow any sunlight to creep in around the edges.

The important thing with sunglasses used for cycling, skiing, or motorcycling is that they NOT be polarized. This is absolutely crucial. Polarization introduces a "shift" to the way light reaches the eye. It prevents shimmer and glare...and makes icy surfaces nearly invisible. If one is pedaling a roadbike on asphalt you'll want to see the telltale glare of ice on the roadway to remain upright! The same goes for skiing, seeing changes in snow texture is only possible with a non-polarized lens.

So THAT'S why I crashed all those times! :crap:

Blue Jays
10-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Ken Robb, don't you hate when that happens?! :eek:

Polarized is nice when you want to see through water to see a bass lurking beneath a dock or something like that...they're great for boating in general. On the road or anyplace where ice could be a consideration, polarization is useless. :)

DRZRM
10-10-2007, 05:37 AM
I use the Oakley half jacket with their Rx lenses and added the transition feature. I'm not sure if you can get your Rx in there, but they are great glasses with excellent optical clarity, especially when it comes to peripheral vision. The transition lenses really lets you throw them on regardless of light/weather conditions and forget about them. I don't know about the availability of bi-focal lenses. Oh, that's good to know about polarization. It makes perfect sense, I'd just never thought of it before. I skipped polarization in order to save a few bucks on some pretty expensive glasses.

mvanhorn
10-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I use progressive lenses for everyday use, and have a set of Oakleys (don't remember the model off-hand) with regular bifocals for cycling. Switching back-and-forth has not been a problem.