PDA

View Full Version : Your Name on your Bike?

Hoboken Biker
07-19-2005, 12:44 PM
While watching the Tour I noticed all the Disco bikes lined up against the bus prior to the start with each team members name painted on the top tube. Sure it's necessary when you've got a truck full of bikes; but what does this group think about us mere mortals having your name paited on your bike? Total poser of the first degree or pretty cool little additional touch for the already tricked out bike?

Tom
07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I liked that part in Fargo where the sheriff told her deputy about the guy that wanted vanity plates but couldn't afford them so he changed his name to AEF6187.

sg8357
07-19-2005, 01:03 PM
While watching the Tour I noticed all the Disco bikes lined up against the bus prior to the start with each team members name painted on the top tube. Sure it's necessary when you've got a truck full of bikes; but what does this group think about us mere mortals having your name paited on your bike? Total poser of the first degree or pretty cool little additional touch for the already tricked out bike?

Waterfords usually have the riders name on the chainstay, some KOF
bikes have the riders name stamped on the BB, Singer & Herse put
the riders name and address on the top cap. A motto on the seatstay
would be cool, "Coasting is a pernicious habit, S.B." on your fixed for
instance. Us mere mortals keep their bikes forever, pros get new tin
every year, it is your ^*^(*& bike, enjoy it.

Scott G.
Pimp my Ride!

pjm
07-19-2005, 01:15 PM
I liked that part in Fargo where the sheriff told her deputy about the guy that wanted vanity plates but couldn't afford them so he changed his name to AEF6187.

I think thats what sg8357 did! :D

Fixed
07-19-2005, 01:22 PM
I would rather have e-RICHIE 's name on my bike.Cheers

davids
07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
I would rather have e-RICHIE 's name on my bike.Cheers
D'Ayenu!

dirtdigger88
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I want David Kirk's name on mine :D

Jason

Russ
07-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Well,

Just the fact that you want to put your name on your bike does not make you a poser, IMO. As a matter of fact, that (sort of) saved me from getting my bike stolen a couple of years ago!!!

I went inside the gas station I usually go to get some water.... when I came back out a few minutes later my bike was gone! In the distance, I see the guy walking the bike next to him about a block away and I yelled for help. Some good people went after him and stopped him. While this is happening, I tell the guy at the store to call the police.

A cop arrived a few mniutes later and to my surprise the first thing the guy said was: "I don't know what the fuss is about, this is MY bike!". I just shaked my head and remained calm. When the officer asked me to prove that was my bike I just showed the officer my DL and pointed to the sticker with my last name on the bike. There was no further argument... The cop took the guy away.

Now, I don't have my name on the bike. I replaced that sticker with a Campagnolo sticker. So I guess, I should change my name to "Russ Campagnolo"....

Man, wouldn't that make me a real big poser??!!!

Kevan
07-19-2005, 01:48 PM
in Sandy's bike.

He wanted the whole thing... the heart and arrow too, but it was our first date and I just wasn't ready to commit. I'm shy.

Bruce K
07-19-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure I would paint my name on my bike, but I have a freind who makes vinyl graphics for race cars, etc. who decided that I needed "some decals so your bike can look like those bikes in the Tour" for my bikes.

They are small and simple and look pretty good.

I did have a situation on a club ride once where some guy said to me "That's a great looking bike, but what's a K......?" :rolleyes:

His freind dope slapped him and pointed out it was probably my last name. :crap:

BK

Spinsistah
07-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I think thats what sg8357 did! :D
Is this your license plate number? Or is it computerese for your name? :)

Dr. Doofus
07-19-2005, 02:17 PM
actually went to www.vcgraphix.com and got some stickers that say Dr. Doofus on them, with the international flag of Antarctica.

A couple of penguins have tossed the "poser" tag this way, but that's about it

wasfast
07-19-2005, 03:18 PM
I decided to go ahead and put my name on my bike when I repainted it last winter. It was so different already plus I figure I'll keep it until it's no longer rideable that I'd do it.

Another vote for VCgraphix.com in Colorado. Great job on all the decals plus some bonus pieces in the chainstay protectors and cable ovals.

I got an extra set included (free) with my name so I put them on my matching helmet as well. I may not be a pro but I can pretend that I look like one!

William
07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
The "Your Bike SUCKS" decals I've seen on chain stays of a few Cross Bianchis made me chuckle.

William

Bill Bove
07-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Why not? I've done it to a few of my bikes with a sharpie. Russ's idea of changing my name to "Bill Campagnolo" sounds cool but it might be a pain in the butt legally. Doof, you got the good flag, anybody know what the Kling-On flag looks like?

Umm, hey Ben! Wanna adopt me? I'm already indepenent, don't eat much, all I'd want is the family discount on an Otrott :banana:

Dr. Doofus
07-19-2005, 05:01 PM
they said that for a slight upcharge, they can put a graphic in place of the flag, bill

so, your stickers could say "El Gato Grande" and have the FatCat instead of a flag...just an idea....

jerk's could say "jerk" with the lion of flanders flag....

csb...well...it would be something obscure and clever

dirt could skip the name altogether and just have a supine betty page, which is more his tantalizingly tawdry speed anyway

dave thompson's could simply say "The Boss" and have the marine flag

the possibilities are endless....

dirtdigger88
07-19-2005, 05:35 PM
doof-

remember these

http://www.cinelli.it/snap/prodotti/accessori/zoom/funny_alter_pinups.jpg

Jason

Bill Bove
07-19-2005, 07:33 PM
I've still got the one on the left on a pair of 1" Intergalters, someday I'll even have a bike with a 1" headset to use them on.

csb
07-24-2005, 10:39 AM
they said that for a slight upcharge, they can put a graphic in place of the flag, bill

so, your stickers could say "El Gato Grande" and have the FatCat instead of a flag...just an idea....

jerk's could say "jerk" with the lion of flanders flag....

csb...well...it would be something obscure and clever

dirt could skip the name altogether and just have a supine betty page, which is more his tantalizingly tawdry speed anyway

dave thompson's could simply say "The Boss" and have the marine flag

the possibilities are endless....

truth: CB

christian
07-24-2005, 11:46 AM
I've still got the one on the left on a pair of 1" Intergalters, someday I'll even have a bike with a 1" headset to use them on.

Hey Bill,

If those Integralters are 120/44 or 130/44, I've got a bike already, and I'd pay a fair price! :)

- Christian

Bill Bove
07-24-2005, 11:49 AM
120/42, black finish. I'm waiting, but not holding my breath for a guy with a sant Cruz roadster to get tired of his bike.