PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Dean Carbon/Ti frames

tele
10-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Lusting after a Dean Animas Cti with Ti and Carbon tubes. Thoughts on this style of frame?
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/6199726297_f4215077f3_z.jpg

oldpotatoe
10-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Lusting after a Dean Animas Cti with Ti and Carbon tubes. Thoughts on this style of frame?
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/6199726297_f4215077f3_z.jpg

My opinion on this style of frame(not commenting on the builder) is I think taking a really nice material(titanium) in terms of ride quality, longevity and looks and adding carbon 'plugs' does nothing for said ride quality, longevity or looks(or weight as well). IMHO, of course, I'm a big fan of one material only for a bicycle frame. I think carbon blend bikes are more marketing than anything, starting with carbon seat stays on Pinarello.

dave thompson
10-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Folks generally seem to like their Dean bikes but google the builder for more than a few comments about their dealings with Dean.

Kontact
10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I would be more inclined to buy the Seven, IF or Serotta version of this concept, and avoid the long delays, lack of communication and outright terrible customer service Dean is known for. Someone on another cycling forum has their 26 month wait for their Dean as a signiture line.

Their are lots of good Ti builders out there, and most of them can use a telephone and service a warranty.

bart998
10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
two used Deans over the years. The first was Scandium. Beautiful frame but was a bit stiff for my taste. Then found a used Ti Dean El Vado. Another beautiful frame but I didn't like the decals/finish. I sent it in to Dean and for only $100 they brush finished it and put on the decal style of my choice. No problems working with Dean at all. Unfortunately after riding it a bit I decided it was too small for me and sold it. But it rode great.

tele
10-01-2011, 12:32 PM
read various experiences with John Dean ranging from very good to indifferent to non-existent. Personally my emails have been answered pretty quickly so far, although no $$ has changed hands. I was looking at his "specials" page and he has some very very good deals atmo. The above frame is $1750 and an all ti frame for $1450. Luckily at this point my intentions are just daydreamin'......

Minstrie
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
yeah, check out Dean on the various forums before you give them any money. Just sayin'.

axel23
10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree with "Old Potatoe" (for once). Why not just go for an all-ti frame? I have many miles on my bike. No issues at all, and still silky smooth. My own experience with Dean was trouble-free but have also heard horror stories. May be worth looking on the secondary market. They originally sold for much less and if you're patient you may find a good deal.