PDA

View Full Version : D2 shoe owners - please post

khjr
10-01-2011, 04:21 AM
As per my post a few days ago I’m needing new shoes and orthotics for my totally screwed up 47EEE feet – flat, bunioned, and now with a neuroma in my left foot. Original plan was to be replace my 4 year old eSoles and Sidi Megas as my feet have widened and lengthened a whole size. A number of you suggested D2s and I’m seriously considering them as the eSoles / Sidis / Speedplay Xs (need the float) were at best a compromise. I’m using the “carbon” 5.5 road shoe with Speedplay’s metal adapter plate to get the cleat back and help distribute pressure on my neuroma but I really miss the days when I was riding with MTB shoes and Frog pedals – it was so much simpler to not worry about grit clogging the cleat and walk when I needed to.

So I’m intent on having some D2 MTB (for road use) shoes made with some additional reinforcement to distribute pressure from the smallish Frog cleat over my neuroma, and perhaps a little extra room for the bunion so that I can get a few years out of the shoes before my feet outgrow them.
Given the cost, I’d like to get it right the first time and am interested in learning from people who’ve had it done. (I've tried to use the search function, but the engine rejects the string "D2" as too short.)

Questions for those of you with D2s:

* Did you go to Colorado to be fitted, or have a local shop do it for you?

* Now that you’ve done it, would you do the fitting differently next time?

* How long ago did you have it done, and how long was the wait?

* Did you have to send the shoes back for tweaking, and how cumbersome was that process?

* I've heard that they fit like non-stretching socks, which worries me as my feet swell a lot when riding in the summer and this aggravates the neuroma. Is it possible to get them a little loose?

* Based on what you’ve seen for their soles, do you think it possible that they could create a reinforced MTB sole such as that which I’ve described?

* Would you do it again and, if so, would you do anything differently at all?

R2D2
10-01-2011, 05:20 AM
I've had a pair of D2 Rando shoes for a little over a year.
Best cycling $$$ I've ever spent.
Fitting was done remotley with the crush box and was easy to do following the instructions.
They fit perfectly out of the box and I immediately rode a 1000K with no issues what so ever.
I would sugessted you call Don and ask him your more detailed questions.
http://www.d2shoe.com/
It appears the business has contracted a little as there used to be two principles involved and shoes where assembled in Mexico. But website now indicates only Don is involved and he is personally making all shoes.
But again he can best address the current operations.

Peter B
10-01-2011, 02:00 PM
My experience was the same, except I had the fit done professionally by a shop on D2's list. I'd suggest that part is worth considering. I have a hybrid of the Rando shoes with 3 straps, essentially a Super Crit with Rando mesh. Fit was spot on from day one. Work great on the double centuries I like to ride. Mine were assembled in Mexico and have been very durable.

djg21
10-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Questions for those of you with D2s:

* Did you go to Colorado to be fitted, or have a local shop do it for you?

* Now that you’ve done it, would you do the fitting differently next time?

* How long ago did you have it done, and how long was the wait?

* Did you have to send the shoes back for tweaking, and how cumbersome was that process?

* I've heard that they fit like non-stretching socks, which worries me as my feet swell a lot when riding in the summer and this aggravates the neuroma. Is it possible to get them a little loose?

* Based on what you’ve seen for their soles, do you think it possible that they could create a reinforced MTB sole such as that which I’ve described?

* Would you do it again and, if so, would you do anything differently at all?

(1) You can do the fit kit yourself at home with a friend. It is fairly foolproof.
Just read the instructions closely and watch the videos on the D2 website before undertaking the process. (http://www.d2shoe.com/home/instructions.html). If you have questions, call Don. That being said, the Vail Valley is a pretty great place to visit, and you may want to vacation there and drive the short distance down valley into Eagle.

(2) I've done the process a handful number of times for myself and others.

(3) Ask Don how long the wait will be. It depends on how many orders are in the cue when you place your order. As pointed out above, Don now is making all the shoes himself, by hand, and the process is very labor and time intensive. Only a couple pair of shoes can me sewn in a week.

(4) I've had to send one pair back for some minor tweaking, and it took a couple of days. It is not a big deal. If you have particular problems with your feet that you need to address -- you mentioned bunions, as well as Morton's Neuroma -- you obviously should inform Don in advance, and take some digital pictures of the bunions or any other anatomical issues with your feet, to the extent possible. Again, call Don.

(5) Again, speak with Don and ask him. It may be that he will suggest his Randonee show rather than MTB shoes to accomodate your swelling issue. That being said, his shoes fit so well, this may not be an issue. The shoes do break in over a couple of rides, but right out of the box they will be a vast improvement over a production shoe, and while tight, they will fit your foot perfectly.

(6) You may not need a reinforced sole. The midsole of the MTB shoe is virtually the same as the sole of the road shoes, with a Vibram sole and tread. It is plenty stiff. Again, speak with Don. Given your foot issues, there may be reason for him to direct you to to another type of shoe.

I have known Don for close to 30 years, and he is one of my closest friends. I met him when we both worked as ski-boot fitters in Vail in the 80s. Don owned a custom boot-fit shop called Boot Lab of Vail (and Boot Lab of Aspen). I have worn only his cycling shoes since he built his first pair of "Doni's." He is a guru with respect to foot issues, and you should defer entirely to his expertise.

If you ski (and also own his shoes), you should enquire about having him make insoles for your ski-boots too. His insoles are awesome, and work in alpine and telemark boots.

Charles M
10-01-2011, 02:41 PM
4 pair...

The first pair scuffed and pummeled but still feel like the day I got them. They're perfect.

I've been to the shop, but not to be fit... I just took pics etc.

The second pair I actually did send back for a tweak and the tweak worked fine. That's the big dif between D2 and the brands that have come and gone... D2 can do most of the adjustments needed by simply making changes to the foot bed.

As jacked up as your feet are, you're one of the poster children for custom shoes and there isnt a better option in cycling shoes available.

I've been fine with the fit box, but as jacked up as your feet are, you might strongly consider going there to be fit.

D2shoe
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I'll be here for another hour if you'd like to call to talk. I can talk and work; but can't type and work!!

khjr
10-02-2011, 05:31 AM
I'll be here for another hour if you'd like to call to talk. I can talk and work; but can't type and work!!
Was out of the house when this came through. Will try to connect on Monday.