PDA

View Full Version : Curious: Do your bikes match your kit (or vice-versa)

Nooch
09-30-2011, 01:43 PM
So a buddy and I were talking about paint decisions as he's having his Meivici re-painted, and a third party interjected that he would have gone with something outlandish, neon green or something. So it got me thinking how many of us (beside my buddy and I) consciously or sub-consciously match our bikes to our kit?

My team kit is simple, red, white, and black -- my bikes are flat black, charcoal grey/white/red, and white (although the white bike has blue panels that don't match anything).. I can't say that I did it consciously, as I'm buying off the shelf bikes, but I think about it down the line when I buy my first custom -- Will I care so much about it matching that it follows suit?

Discuss.

tannhauser
09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't match and don't care. It's silly.

brockd15
09-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Black matches everything. :cool:

brockd15
09-30-2011, 01:50 PM
But no, I don't. I've worn red with an orange bike...oops.

rugbysecondrow
09-30-2011, 01:52 PM
I never match. I do have a Kelly Bedford jersey that is blue, similar to my blue bike, but it is not purposeful.

biker72
09-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Lets see. Jeans and long sleeve white T-shirt. I guess that does match my Serotta.... :)

bigflax925
09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Don't really have a kit, per se. Usually cargo shorts and an Under Armor T-shirt.

I guess that matches anything I ride!

Louis
09-30-2011, 01:55 PM
IMO even thinking of matching frame paint to what a rider is wearing (or vice versa) is over the top.

Elefantino
09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I have so many kits that I could match any color bike.

jmoore
09-30-2011, 01:57 PM
The bike is a standalone object and is designed/styled as such. I wear whatever kit I want regardless of bike color.

I can appreciate being matchy-matchy as much as the next guy, but the two are independant, IMO. If you want to match everything, then more power to you.

christian
09-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Good god no.

jr59
09-30-2011, 01:59 PM
What kit??

black shorts and whatever top I lay my hands on.

Kit matching bike. :banana: Only if they are paying me to ride their stuff.

Dave B
09-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Well, most of my kits are these cheap knock off castelli kits form somewhere in china. My road bikes are red black white, just by chance. My kits are also red black white.

However, My wife (not at the time) bought me the IF/rapha cross frame and on our wedding day handed me the rapha/IF kit. So yeah I guess that is as matchy as you can get. A bike and kit designed to go together.

I have loads of IF kit, doesn't match any of the bikes, but I didn't mean for it to or not to.

EDS
09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I owned a red bike and subsequently joined a team with a red/white/black color scheme, so I do match. Such common colors though it was not that unlikely.

Nooch
09-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Well we both work for a shop, and both race flying the shops colors. Get paid to do it, no, but we're not going to wear anyone elses kit!

It happens that before I worked there I happened to have just joined their club, so it's the only kit I've ever owned -- just different variations from different years.

I'll say that I have a few other kits that I've worn, stuff from twin six and what not, but I always feel better flying the team colors..

But I do suppose black/white matches everything.. just wonder if it'll keep me from getting that powder blue bike some day ;)

slowandsteady
09-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Good god no.

+100

Steve in SLO
09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
I make a feeble attempt, but really no.

tuscanyswe
09-30-2011, 03:43 PM
I like to ride in black but i dont perticularly like black bikes. So no.

old_fat_and_slow
09-30-2011, 03:45 PM
So a buddy and I were talking about paint decisions as he's having his Meivici re-painted, and a third party interjected that he would have gone with something outlandish, neon green or something. So it got me thinking how many of us (beside my buddy and I) consciously or sub-consciously match our bikes to our kit?

My team kit is simple, red, white, and black -- my bikes are flat black, charcoal grey/white/red, and white (although the white bike has blue panels that don't match anything).. I can't say that I did it consciously, as I'm buying off the shelf bikes, but I think about it down the line when I buy my first custom -- Will I care so much about it matching that it follows suit?

Discuss.
This guy's kit matches his bike. In fact, I think this guy frequents this forum a lot. Goes by, ... ZebraDave or some such moniker

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/catchernrye/jokes/ZebraBikedude.jpg

Who would step out in public lookin' like that ! ? ? ;)

dhoff
09-30-2011, 06:49 PM
This guy's kit matches his bike. In fact, I think this guy frequents this forum a lot. Goes by, ... ZebraDave or some such moniker

He had better be REALLY fast.

Fixed
09-30-2011, 07:27 PM
i just try not to have it on inside out
cheers

happycampyer
09-30-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm on wait lists for kits so when I come up in the queue on builders' wait lists I'll have something to match the bikes. ;)

maunahaole
09-30-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm really looking forward to Bumblebee Dave's response.

BumbleBeeDave
09-30-2011, 07:36 PM
He had better be REALLY fast.

I am.

BBD

rdparadise
09-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Gotta unplug that thing or something. Oh my!

Regarding said topic, I have a red helmet to match my ti bike with red decals and handlebra. I tend to wear red and white shirts with this bike and the new Forum kit in red. I also have a Porsche blue zanc with white panels. No kits to match, however I do have the blue helmet to match.

Just sayin....

Bob

avalonracing
09-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Good God yes I like my bikes and kits to match! :beer: Well matching doesn't matter to me but not clashing does.

As I've ridden for a couple of different teams and have different color kits I like my bikes to be neutral. Unpainted Ti, white or silver bikes match any kit.

Although I wouldn't paint a bike to match a kit (if the team gave me a matching bike I would ride it of course).

dcpdpayne
09-30-2011, 08:56 PM
I grow tired of trendy color schemes. In the mid 90's, during the era of the Judy SL forks, everything had a touch of yellow. Today it's the whole Black/White/Red. I tend to ride neutral color bikes....black, gray, white. I will have everything matching nicely when my pro contract comes through. Seeing as that won't happen, I just don't worry about it that much. The only thing that I try to match are my saddle/bartape combos. I use to like white saddle and tape, but when Trek started shipping EVERYTHING with white tape and bars, I knew it was time to go back to black.

fatallightning
09-30-2011, 09:03 PM
my team kit is blue and orange, not the most common scheme for an off the shelf bike, or helmets for that matter. i had thought about it when i redecaled my ti bike, but passed on it in the end.

oliver1850
09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
No. I don't care what I wear on the bike. Unlike fixed, I don't even care if it's right side out (note the rolled down socks). I'm not commissioning a jersey to match this frame, or any of the others. Could his be why I've ridden 3,000 miles alone this year?

veloduffer
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM

Moderators - can we have a separate gallery for BBD kits??
In a word -- Classic!

:beer: :banana:

Scott Shire
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I am.

BBD

As long as you can dish out suffering, you can wear what you like.
http://tenerife-training.net/Tenerife-News-Cycling-Blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mario-cipollini-2001-giro-de-italia.jpg

Louis
10-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Moderators - can we have a separate gallery for BBD kits??

:no: :no: :no:

Do you realize how dangerous this would be?

All those BBD pics together in one place might reach critical mass and explode.

nighthawk
10-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Sadly ZebraDave, is no longer with us...

...on his last ride across the Serengeti, was mauled by a lioness, and consumed by her pride. The last we saw of him was carried away in the beak of a hooded vulture.

zebradave was a brave man...

...err zebra.

man.

BumbleBeeDave
10-01-2011, 07:57 AM
As long as you can dish out suffering, you can wear what you like.
http://tenerife-training.net/Tenerife-News-Cycling-Blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mario-cipollini-2001-giro-de-italia.jpg

This is an absolute classic!

Had a chance years ago to get a new one for $100 and passed it up. Now when you do see one on eBay they go for $300-500. :crap:

I do like to have my kit match my bike colors in some way. The more outrageous the better just to make sure drivers see me. I don't really care what they think of what I look like as long as they see me and don't run over me!

But as for what others wear . . . totally personal choice.

BBD

Scriv
10-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Uh, no. I don't usually match. Maybe by accident. When I buy a jersey in a solid color I like the high vis stuff so there is no way the judge will buy that they couldn't see me. I hope my family get's a huge settlement. Well at least enough for my wife and her boyfriend to live comfortably. :beer:

rwsaunders
10-01-2011, 10:16 AM
I matched this morning....both my kit and my bike were soaking wet.

PS...there's a reason that BBDave runs Campy Centaur... :cool:

dsb
10-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Is it 'kit' if it doesn't have sponsor logos? Or logos that are big enough to be sponsor logos, but you paid for them, so they aren't _really_ 'sponsor' logos after all, but rather advertising for the company who's logo it is, but that you paid for the privilege of wearing?

DHallerman
10-01-2011, 11:01 AM
...I've ridden 3,000 miles alone this year?

Alone! You mean no one will ride with you because of your bike clothing choices?

What snobby people!

Dave, who hardly ever uses smiles but thinks one might be needed on this occasion ;) and who tends to prefer certain colors but that includes red and black and white and blue and green and grey so color-coordinating with most bikes is easy and prefers silver/white helmets because they go with most anything

steampunk
10-01-2011, 01:42 PM
well when wearing the serotta kit it is a 100% match. in fact if i use my serotta bottles at the same time i find the look a bit too much.

otherwise, black bibs and no-logo jerseys are fine for me. i've had it with the pro-team billboard look with designs that change every year anyway.

oh and my helmet (blue-white) and shoes (red) will never match unless i get a new one of either item. not anytime soon.

pdmtong
10-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Rapha matches everything (sorry folks, I could not resist inserting the R-word into the thread)

1happygirl
10-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Go with everything.
Any kit you have won a club sprint or ride works every time.

PS Also pick a white or silver bike.