PDA

View Full Version : Sans Radio

FunkyPorcini
07-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I've always thought the Tours would be much more interesting races if they took the radios away for a year. It kinda sucks that nobody can sneak away anymore.

I'd love to see ability of each rider to set up their own tactics with the team beside them.

What do think?

zeroking17
07-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Alfred Hitchcock once said that the reason his films generated so much suspense is because he structured the narrative such that the audience knew much more about the characters' situations than did the characters themselves.

Wouldn't it be spellbinding to be watching a mountain stage of the Tour in which we, as viewers, would know exactly what was happening but the riders themselves would not be wired into the team cars and would not be given real-time updates of who's up the road and by how much? Instead they'd need to depend on their own abilities to read a race accurately and give team orders based on their expereince and foresight? The only communcation would be word-of-mouth and via the time gaps given on the moto chalkboard.

I agree with FunkyPorcini. Speaking as a fan, I'd love to see the disappearance of the radio earpieces that each rider wears. Unfortunately the business end of pro cycling will not allow this to happen.

FunkyPorcini
07-19-2005, 12:07 PM
You said what I was thinking...only better.

fiamme red
07-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Well said, zeroking17.