PDA

View Full Version : Move to San Diego

dixiesdad
09-30-2011, 12:39 PM
looking at a opportunity to move to San Diego. I have only ridden once there and was wanting to get input as to where to ride.. would likely be near mission beach area.

fourflys
09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
well, I've been here going on 5 years and, sadly, have to leave next year (military)... this place is Nirvana for cycling... you can ride every day of the year if you wanted... most of the roads have nice bike lanes... Out of Mission Beach, you have access to beautiful riding areas such as Coronado for a nice flat leisurely ride or head north a bit ride up Mt. Soladad... or head inland a bit and ride out past the Olympic Training Center and get some elevation... or, well you get the picture...

I've lived all across the country and can't think of a better all-around city for cycling when you factor in the terrain, weather, infrastructure, etc... Portland or Seattle might be more of a cycling hotspot, but you'll never need rain gear or fenders down here... :D

My question would be, do you have school-age kids? if so, I'm not so sure on the Mission Beach area schools... My wife and I moved to the Poway area just to get the schools and could not be happier... and the riding up here is fantastic as well...

BTW- there is nothing more beautiful or relaxing then a ride up or down the Coast Hwy... I usually do Del Mar to Oceanside and back... all I can say is WOW!

Chris

AngryScientist
09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
SD is an ideal spot for anyone who loves the outdoors. not only is there excellent riding right out of SD, it's a fantastic jump-off spot to more epic stuff all over california and beyond. if it werent for my current family constraints, i'd move to SD in a NY minute...

Kane
09-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Boring, but beautiful. Riding along the beach for miles and miles. Girls in bathing suits. Girls out of bathing suites. Sunshine every day :cool: , unless it is foggy :p .

Ken Robb
09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
check your PMs.

fourflys
09-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Boring, but beautiful. Riding along the beach for miles and miles. Girls in bathing suits. Girls out of bathing suites. Sunshine every day :cool: , unless it is foggy :p .

I can see the Coast being a little boring every day, but all you have to do go inland to Palomar Mountain and boring is not the word I would use... ;)

but yes, it's rough having to see bikinis all day... :D

old_fat_and_slow
09-30-2011, 01:24 PM
San Diego has it all.

Grab the opportunity while it's still there.

Many of triathlon's elite live and train there. Flandis lives and trains there. Lots of local hills to ride on, and then there's the beach and all its associated scenery.

Wish I could live there.

dave thompson
09-30-2011, 01:26 PM
I would kill to live in Sandy Eggo again.

jh_on_the_cape
09-30-2011, 02:11 PM
We almost just moved to SD. Riding is great. Weather is great. Look at housing prices first. Especially if you need to put kids in public schools and have to commute somewhere. Maybe they have come down some...

It will always be a big 'What if...' in our lives, but we stayed in MA, which is also a great place to live and work.

Jeff N.
09-30-2011, 02:20 PM
The decision to move here back in '79 was easily the best decision I've made in my life. The Chargers and Padres have always left me wanting, but other than that... :beer:

Johny
09-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Been here in SD for over a month, I've found CA drivers more aggressive than those in Rochester I am from. Definitely more cars. Bike lanes usually are not wide enough imho.

Weather in SD is definitely the best for cycling...cool and sunny. Terrain is also great.

Local SD people please tell me more rides here. I live near University Gardens Park and commute on bike daily to UCSD. Thanks.

John

Jeff N.
09-30-2011, 02:42 PM
We always do what I call, "Tour de Usual". Start out at Mission Bay, up Rose Canyon, past UCSD, and up Hwy 101 up the coast, then out the San Luis Rey river trail, then back. NEVER get tired of coastal rides. We'll usually stop at The Pannikin in Encinitas for coffee/bull session. It just never gets old. Jeff N.

old_fat_and_slow
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Been here in SD for over a month, I've found CA drivers more aggressive than those in Rochester I am from. Definitely more cars. Bike lanes usually are not wide enough imho.

Weather in SD is definitely the best for cycling...cool and sunny. Terrain is also great.

Local SD people please tell me more rides here. I live near University Gardens Park and commute on bike daily to UCSD. Thanks.

John

I am not local, but go east around Poway, and also look around Mt. Palomar. I envy you ! ! ! !

Ken Robb
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM

John
Did I see you pedaling a white Serotta up Gilman drive the other day?

dixiesdad
09-30-2011, 03:43 PM
thanks for info and will look forward to the opportunity

jgspin
09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
San Diego is a wonderful place to live in. Road cycling from Point Loma to Oceanside and beyond. Climb Honeysprings, Alpine, Mt Laguna, Julian, Palomar Mt., Bonsall, Fallbrook... Weather is great for enjoying the outdoors. When you get here, contact me and I'll show you around; that goes for anyone on the forum as well.

jgspin
09-30-2011, 06:29 PM

John

If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle head to the east county. I've done many 4-5 hour rides where I can count the number of vehicles with just one hand...and traffic lights - zero. That's correct no traffic lights for miles on end. The only requirement is a big cassette and/or climbing legs.

Johny
09-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Did I see you pedaling a white Serotta up Gilman drive the other day?
Hi Ken, a blue Ti Serotta with white decals, 1/2 paint. Tell me more about great ride routes here. Thanks.

John

Johny
09-30-2011, 06:38 PM
If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle head to the east county. I've done many of 4-5 hour rides where I can count the number of vehicles with just one hand...and traffic lights - zero. That's correct no traffic lights for miles on end. The only requirement is a big cassette and/or climbing legs.

Thanks. That sounds like the type of riding I love (to suffer), probably similar to
the Finger Lakes region of New York.

John

Johny
09-30-2011, 06:45 PM
I am not local, but go east around Poway, and also look around Mt. Palomar. I envy you ! ! ! !

Thanks. I definitely love the weather and terrain here a lot. But currently this is a one-year scholar-fellow program for me at UCSD. My family is still in Rochester.

John

Johny
09-30-2011, 06:59 PM
We always do what I call, "Tour de Usual". Start out at Mission Bay, up Rose Canyon, past UCSD, and up Hwy 101 up the coast, then out the San Luis Rey river trail, then back. NEVER get tired of coastal rides. We'll usually stop at The Pannikin in Encinitas for coffee/bull session. It just never gets old. Jeff N.

Thanks Jeff. That sounds fun.

John

Ken Robb
09-30-2011, 07:04 PM
There is a good bunch of riders at UCSD, both team members and folks who like to ride with them. Call Chris at the UCSD Bike Shop for info.

A fun ride is just outside the east side of Camp Pendleton on De Luz Rd. and others in that area. It's very rural, twisty, hilly. Check it on Google Maps. I also love Sunrise Highway and Engineers Rd. in Pine Valley/Julian area.

Fixed
09-30-2011, 07:30 PM
go to blacks beach ..after a ride
cheers

ciclisto
10-01-2011, 01:24 AM
San Diego sucks for bicyclist.. do not promote this ugly bike hating town..go home and do not recommend this place...............then I can have it all to myself.