PDA

View Full Version : Bike-mounted child seats...project ideas??

killacks
09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
So, who's riding plus-one out there? I just recently purchased a Yepp Mini (http://www.rei.com/product/815610/yepp-mini-front-bicycle-child-carrier,-orange?preferredSku=8156100002?cm_mmc&partner=cse_bing&mr:referralID=0355bb55-ead3-11e0-9e9c-001b2166c62d) front-mounted bike seat for my 1-year-old that is currently attached to a behemoth beach cruiser. I'm looking for a more nimble steed to transport us around town, though. Any cool ideas??

Here's a quick breakdown. The baby seat adds a bit of weight up front, and and slightly limits the steering radius when the wheel is turned sharply, as the seat's foot platform braces hit the TT. Also, my knees tend to hit the back of the seat. I'm not sure how to get around that.

I'm thinking that I'd like at least a few gears and brakes front and back (no coaster). The bike would be for mostly up to a few miles at a time around mostly flat terrain, with an occasionally light trail ride.

My budget is modest, but I'd love to hear cool build ideas that go beyond that. Also, anyone have experiences with this particular seat?

tannhauser
09-29-2011, 02:51 PM
You don't want nimble w/a kid, you want stable. Return the seat for:
http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/cargo-bike-accessories/family-kit.html

Attach to old mtb, replace short car trips.
Done and done.

ultraman6970
09-29-2011, 03:08 PM
IMO the best is a trailer.

tannhauser
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
This woman has a Yepp mini front: http://familyride.wordpress.com/

killacks
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
^that's awesome^ Also looks like her TT clears the leg braces on the seat.

I liked this seat because it puts my kid front and center on the bike with the wind in her hair (through her helmet vents) and the bugs in her teeth, as opposed to rear-mounted seats or trailers :D

tannhauser
09-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Thinking about it, a one year old is better where you put her. Better "conversations". Too young for the other setup.

cdn_bacon
09-29-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.ibertinc.com

go through the gallery, but can be for pretty much any bike out there. as long as you have at leat 3/4" worth of risers below your stem.

flydhest
09-29-2011, 04:35 PM
How young is too young to put a kid in a child seat?

Am I off for somehow believing that a seat is better than a trailer when riding through the city? I have argued myself out of both positions a number of times.

this would be for going 2 to 20 blocks, like to the farmer's market or something. Not for long hour or more rides or anything.

rugbysecondrow
09-29-2011, 04:54 PM
I had the Ibert and really liked it. I know have a trailer to pull both the kids...good times.

rugbysecondrow
09-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Am I off for somehow believing that a seat is better than a trailer when riding through the city? I have argued myself out of both positions a number of times.

this would be for going 2 to 20 blocks, like to the farmer's market or something. Not for long hour or more rides or anything.

Head control was my indicator. My son (above photo) was about 10 months old. I like both, but I always felt more safe with the kid upfront with me, but I not think a trailer is fine. It takes more effort and anticipation when riding, but worth it.

The trailer is great because you can take the kid with you to the store and have a place for the kid and stuff for the return trip.

Cheers

tannhauser
09-29-2011, 06:20 PM

+1 on head control, no so much age.
My comment related to how natural it is to have a child in front, like a papoose.
When they get older the back is fine.

ultraman6970
09-29-2011, 06:45 PM
The best for me was the trailer but once they got age or weight/height to ride their own bikes.

oldforester
09-29-2011, 07:11 PM
I have used a trailer for my 2 grandsons. One now rides his own bike. I just bought a Topeak seat that fits on a rack over the rear wheel for the little guy. Found an old mint Raleigh Sportif to use for this. Trailers are nice but I don't like their low profile and you have to keep a screen on to avoid the rear tire throwing road debris on the kids. I imagine the Topeak will feel a little top heavy but think it will be okay. The trailer I have attaches to the chain stay on the non drive side with a spring loaded swivel clamp and a safety strap. Make sure to use the strap, my clamp came undone once and the strap held it. Take your time at intersections with trailers. They both love to ride, thats the main thing.

buldogge
09-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I used an ibert and then switched to a trail-a-bike when he outgrew that. As of last Friday he is riding on the street on his own bike inline between us (5 yo).

He loved the ibert.

He loved the trail-a-bike.

Hopefully he loves riding on his own...

Longest ride on the trail-a-bike was 45 miles...only 5 miles on the street so far.

-Mark in St. Louis

cetuximab
09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FIH0EG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1317351473&sr=8-1

The kangaroo seat sits on the TT. I love it. I can interact with my daughter. When she rides in our trailer, there is no conversation.

Your knees are a little wider but otherwise steering and handling feels great.