PDA

View Full Version : best seasons for selling used gear?

vqdriver
09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
are there "best" times of the year to sell used gear? i assume it's seasonal for cross, but mtb and road frames and bike listings seem to surge at certain times.

cmg
09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
best time to sell is in May at the beginning of the riding season and is generally good until the first snowfall or when cold weather begins. best time to buy is in the fall.

dave thompson
09-29-2011, 02:03 PM
My juices get flowing around late March early April as the weather starts to turn better and I begin to plan events and rides. Even though pricing on used stuff is generally less in the fall/winter, it's real hard to get stirred up enough to open the checkbook.

bearingpress
09-29-2011, 02:51 PM
the best time to sell is when you lose your job, cash in on the mountains of expensive bike ???? you collect when you actually have money to spend

roydyates
09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
The classifieds here seemed a little slow for the last month or two. Also, it seems like there has been a surge in attractive used bikes here on the forum in the last week or so. I'm not sure that's good for sellers since my definition of attractive includes an attractively low sale price.

bikser
09-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Having sold on RBR, ebay, Craigslist, and here for many years I've always found the winter months slow. Once you get past February things perk up. Here in CO, we have Veloswap in October, which is usually the last surge of bike gear sales. Cross is definitely seasonal, at a premium right now, but after the season plenty of deals.

biker72
09-29-2011, 05:00 PM
It will depend on your location and prime riding season.
In North Texas, right now sales are dropping off but Dec 1 starts the Christmas buying season through the first couple of weeks into January.

After that sales are flat until Daylight Savings Time begins.

pdmtong
09-29-2011, 10:11 PM
while need based buying is most likely seasonal, impulse buying is directly related to item and price

godfrey1112000
09-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Spring season seems to be the strongest market, but items used year round like this and tires seem to always have a market when priced to sell

drewski
09-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Best time to sell a road bike:After an American wins a stage that is shown on Versus.

#2 Around the time of the
SPRING EQUINOX -MARCH 20 , 2012 ---especially in the Northeast and Canada. Here in the southeast before it gets sweltering in late June.