PDA

View Full Version : Women specific helmets

Keith A
09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
So I'm looking for a helmet for my daughter and I see that Giro has a women specific line and was wondering if there is any difference (other than marketing) between these and a regular helmet from Giro.

Thoughts?

BumbleBeeDave
09-28-2011, 03:38 PM
. . . what exactly would make it "women specific?" Is it one of those deals where the company takes their men's model, paints it pink, slaps some little blue flower decals on it, and suddenly it's "women specific?"

I know some years ago i saw an ad for one helmet tht featured a "ponytail port" . . . but I thought it was just the special "TiDesigns" model! :D

BBD

Mark McM
09-28-2011, 03:43 PM
One difference is that many women's helmets, including Giro women-specific helmets, incorporate "ponytail ports" at the rear to accomodate, well, ponytails. These are typically openings in the rear, either in the shape of the inside of the helmet and/or the configuration of the fit harness/strap, to allow a ponytail to be slipped through.

Some, but not all, helmet makers design around slightly different headforms (just like some shoe makers sometimes use different lasts for women's shoes), but everyone's head is different so this is no guarantee that a helmet will fit someone of a particular gender.

ultraman6970
09-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Thought the ports were to have the thoughts to scape their minds while riding, and keep them mute during the ride :D

ps: i know it was mean, couldn't resist :D

Keith A
09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
The ponytail port was the only real difference that would make it a women's specific helmet...that and girly colors :)

palincss
09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Smaller sizing, also, perhaps?

pavel
09-28-2011, 04:39 PM
. . . what exactly would make it "women specific?" Is it one of those deals where the company takes their men's model, paints it pink, slaps some little blue flower decals on it, and suddenly it's "women specific?"

Smaller sizing, also, perhaps?

Ah yes, the old "pinking and shrinking" technique.

Keith A
09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
As for Giro, I couldn't see any size differences between the standard and women's models.

bluestu
09-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Fwiw I've read the Lazer Genesis is ponytail-friendly...

ultraman6970
09-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Lets start the list of men who could use girl helmet then...

Shawn Michaels

Joakim Noah

T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Robert Swift

Simon Whitlock

Rob Van Dam

Chriss jericho

Tony Little

Jet Li

David Beckham

Steven Segal

Michael Jackson

Roberto Baggio

oldpotatoe
09-29-2011, 07:47 AM

I know some years ago i saw an ad for one helmet tht featured a "ponytail port" . . . but I thought it was just the special "TiDesigns" model! :D

BBD

'Pink it and shrink it'

Keith A
09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I decided to grab a Giro Ionos from Competitive Cyclist. Now she has a better helmet than I do :eek: BTW, Performance Bike has an even better deal on them ($99), but their selection is limited.

DHallerman
09-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Ah yes, the old "pinking and shrinking" technique.

Hey, don't minimize the importance of smaller sizing.

My wife needs a smaller size helmet, and that's often hard to find. Even some nomimally size small helmets can be too big for her.

Dave, who says geeze some of the posts on this thread...

veloduffer
09-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Lets start the list of men who could use girl helmet then...

Michael Jackson

I don't think he needs one anymore. RIP :p

gone
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey, don't minimize the importance of smaller sizing.

My wife needs a smaller size helmet, and that's often hard to find. Even some nomimally size small helmets can be too big for her.

Dave, who says geeze some of the posts on this thread...

Agreed, my wife looked for a very long time before she finally found a helmet (size XS) that fits her. Kids helmets were too small, most helmets made for men were too big.

It's nice to make fun of these things but I'm glad bike companies pay at least some attention to the fact that not everybody who rides bikes is male.

Now if only motorcycle gear manufacturers would do the same :crap:

ultraman6970
09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
True, wonder if Prince jackson or Blanket might use a pony tail at some point. They have the right color already so are half way and 10 plastic surgeries.

I don't think he needs one anymore. RIP :p

Keith A
09-29-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't think he needs one anymore. RIP :pAre you sure about that? There is a new Michael Jackson Immortal Tour (http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/news/michael-jackson-immortal-tour-tickets) starting soon :)