PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use(d) the Paul Duplex lever?

Nooch
09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
http://www.paulcomp.com/duplexlever.html

Pulls both brakes simultaneously, and tension is adjusted independently so you can have one hit first.. Can't say it'd be the best for modulation, but I'm interested for the upcoming fixed build. Other thought was going with a seperate bar/sram s900 levers/brakes and swapping back and forth between street riding and the occasional track riding.

Anybody use em? How well does it work?

AngryScientist
09-28-2011, 09:20 AM
thanks, but no thanks IMO. an answer to a problem no one asked. i do 99% of my braking with the front wheel, never need to rear brake. fixed gear bikes really dont even need rear brakes. i dont want to mess around with modulating a rear brake so it doesnt lock up my rear wheel and still give me all the stopping power i need up front. it's hilly on all of my routes and i use the front brake often on all of my bikes, fixed included to save my knees.

if you're setting up a fixed gear bike for the street, i prefer to have hoods and standard drop bar brake levers, especially if you need to do any climbing on that bike at all.

i'd pass on this idea personally.

jh_on_the_cape
09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
thanks, but no thanks IMO. an answer to a problem no one asked.
i'd pass on this idea personally.

It was originally designed for bike polo players, to allow them to use both brakes while swinging a polo mallet with their free hand. Since its introduction the duplex has generated considerable excitement among adaptive cyclists as well.

Not everyone has two hands just like yours.

AngryScientist
09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Not everyone has two hands just like yours.

there are a whole lot of great solutions for folks who have specific disabilities, most of which are not beneficial to those without that specific disability.

gdw
09-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be helping a young man who has lost the use of his right arm set up a bike and these look like a good option for the levers.

Does anyone know of a system which makes shifting both derailleurs from the left side possible?

Nooch
09-28-2011, 09:35 AM
easy boys, easy!

I just thought they were an intersting alternative.

While road riding I'm a primarily rear wheel braker, whether or not I should be, as far as modulation goes. I like having front and rear (even while fixed) if only to give myself that little extra knee saving while heading down hill..

Couple guys I know run fixed with a TT front brake plugged into the bar end of their standard track drops, again, only as a bail out.. there are plenty of interesting setups out there..

AngryScientist
09-28-2011, 09:46 AM
this is how my fixed gear bike rolls, as i mentioned, if you're going to be going uphill at all, having the hoods there to climb is nice...

I also run F+R brakes, though i rarely use the rear.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--PdLV2fZ3uU/TnVATwRtjqI/AAAAAAAAAFM/KC8heKo27D8/s320/DSCN2618.JPG

AngryScientist
09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be helping a young man who has lost the use of his right arm set up a bike and these look like a good option for the levers.

Does anyone know of a system which makes shifting both derailleurs from the left side possible?

might be worth a call to signature cycles in NYC, they have done several custom bikes for amputees, and they are very, very good...

http://roadjournal.signaturecycles.com/wp-content/gallery/hector-picard-seven-v2/110120-hector-fitting-020-wp.jpg

Dave Wages
09-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I know a few polo players who swear by these Paul's levers, so if that helps?

As for the question about getting all the braking and shifting on one side for a disabled person, you could use one of these levers, then maybe a Rapidfire pod and a bar end shifter mounted to a Paul's Thumbie to control both derailleurs? It might get a bit crowded on whichever side of the bar you're using, but this would potentially make everything happen.

Cheers,
Dave

stien
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM

I heard story of a guy who used a STi and bar end shifter both on one side. Oughta work just fine. You could use that paul lever instead of having the STi control a brake but 3 levers seems a bit much. Just a thought.

keevon
09-28-2011, 10:28 AM
It would be cool if you could rig a tail light to be cable-actuated.

Pulling the lever could engage one brake and a switch that turns the tail light on. Release the lever and the light turns off. Brake lights!

Mark McM
09-28-2011, 12:34 PM

This sounds like a perfect application of an electronic shifting system with remote shifter pods - put the shifting pods in whatever location is most easily reached for each specific individual.

A friend mentioned another possible ideal application for electronic shifting: she is an ultra-marathon cyclist (planning to do RAAM), and says that after constantly shifting all day for literally days at a time, the fingers and hands become fatigued to the extent that operating mechanical shift levers becomes difficult. There are lots of other conditions which may result in reduced hand strength, and for which electronic shifting may be viable solution.

And this is why I place electronic shifting systems in the same category as Segway scooters: For certain individuals with specific needs, they provide a very welcome utility that can improve personal mobility and quality of life. But for most able bodied individuals, their limited benefit is far outweighed by their cost and trouble.

palincss
09-28-2011, 01:37 PM
thanks, but no thanks IMO. an answer to a problem no one asked.

It'sa flat-bar variation on the dual brake levers tandems have had for many years. It makes sense on a tandem with a 3rd brake; and it makes sense for its original purpose: "It was originally designed for bike polo players, to allow them to use both brakes while swinging a polo mallet with their free hand." It also makes a lot of sense for riders with disabilities that affect one hand or arm.

AngryScientist
09-28-2011, 01:40 PM
It'sa flat-bar variation on the dual brake levers tandems have had for many years. It makes sense on a tandem with a 3rd brake; and it makes sense for its original purpose: "It was originally designed for bike polo players, to allow them to use both brakes while swinging a polo mallet with their free hand." It also makes a lot of sense for riders with disabilities that affect one hand or arm.

yes, i agree with all of that :beer:

Deanhorsfall
08-28-2023, 08:07 PM
I just bought a Paul Duplex lever and I am considering using a Problem Solvers Travel agent on the rear brake. I’m scratching my head if that is the wrong approach and if one on the front would be better? The travel agent increases the mechanical advantage to 2:1. If anyone has tried this I’m happy to hear some feedback?

hokoman
08-29-2023, 06:50 AM
I just bought a Paul Duplex lever and I am considering using a Problem Solvers Travel agent on the rear brake. I’m scratching my head if that is the wrong approach and if one on the front would be better? The travel agent increases the mechanical advantage to 2:1. If anyone has tried this I’m happy to hear some feedback?

I think it is going to feel like crap. Same reason you don't (shouldn't) use v brake levers with cantis/calipers... why not just set up the rear brake tighter so it hits first?

Deanhorsfall
08-29-2023, 09:45 AM
I think it is going to feel like crap. Same reason you don't (shouldn't) use v brake levers with cantis/calipers... why not just set up the rear brake tighter so it hits first?

I will start with setting it up traditionally and see how it feels. How the brake feels is a big part of it. I was also considering increasing the hosing in the front brake for more modulation. I thought someone may have found a variation on the set up of these which increased the braking performance.( I was considering running a travel agent on the front brake as well).