PDA

View Full Version : BCA brand

froze
09-28-2011, 08:33 AM
I saw a touring bike on Craigslist (no pic though) made by a now defunct American company out of PA called a BCA, Bicycle Company of America. I did some internet searching but couldn't find much other then it may have been made by Ross. It's a steel frame bike with AL components and wheels, and most if not all Ross bikes used steel wheels. The owner bought it from another person for his son some years back to take to college but it didn't fit him and the son decided he wanted a car instead. The owner thinks it was built in the early 80's but he's not sure.

I'm going to go look at it and see what it's all about, but I thought if anyone by some slim chance had some heads up info on those bikes it would be great.

Thanks

Matt-H
09-28-2011, 08:48 AM
BCA bikes were sold out of a warehouse here and the company was run by a friend of a friend. Pretty low end stuff to the best of my memory. The aforementioned friend's first mountain bike was a BCA because he got a good deal. I remember it being a tank and the head tube/down tube junction eventually broke. Personally, I wouldn't consider one for any purpose. Lots of better old touring frames out there.

froze
09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
That's what I was thinking too that they were junk. And I checked the web like crazy and not a whole lot came up, even on other forums. There must not have been very many BCA bikes ever built, either that or they fell apart so fast their all in junk yards!

I already have two nice touring bikes (one not listed on my sig) so this bike would have to at least have some really good components worth saving in order for me to consider it. But like you said, I think it's going to be junk stuff too. But I'll go look at it, and if anything else at least I'll learn a little about the brand.

fiamme red
09-28-2011, 10:04 AM
It's a steel frame bike with AL components and wheels, and most if not all Ross bikes used steel wheels.There was a high-end Ross Signature line, built by Tom Kellogg and Jim Redcay.

A friend of mine had a BCA. It was a low-end bike, but maybe BCA made some nicer ones too.

froze
09-28-2011, 11:05 AM
There was a high-end Ross Signature line, built by Tom Kellogg and Jim Redcay.

A friend of mine had a BCA. It was a low-end bike, but maybe BCA made some nicer ones too.

I'm aware of the Sig series and they were really nice bikes, I've never seen one used though, at least not yet.

I'm hoping the BCA is a nicer one just by chance, but so far all forums I've posted on have said they were junk, but I'll see it later today. I report my findings on it later in the evening if anything but provide a little knowledge for the rest of you who might want to know.