PDA

View Full Version : De rosa ebay

thinpin
09-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Any thoughts on this. Not for me but a mate is looking out for a classic steel ride for long days in the country (sounds like a dating add!) Dont know much about de rosa except it geo is very comfortable and similar to merckx century. The price looked ok except what looks like a copy and paste description has a price of $2500. Legit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-ROSA-all-orig-CLEAN-low-miles-CA-Merckx-SLX-/220826289790?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item336a45c67e#ht_8381wt_1121

Aaron O
09-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I think it's at least a few hundred dollars over priced, especially with a dura ace gruppo. It isn't outrageous, but it's above market IMO.

This is a balancing act...what's it worth to your friend? How tight is money? Can he afford to wait and shop it? De Rosa SLX frames aren't unusual on ebay, though many of the owners seem to be overly ambitious. Personally, I'd wait.

dbh
09-28-2011, 09:59 AM
I think $1300 or so and it would go fast. Description is lacking in full geo. Also would be nice to know the vintage of the DA groups. 7 or 8 speed, etc?

thinpin
09-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I was wary of the BIN price and then down in the description it says $2500. I was wondering whether it might be a a fraudster at work with a stolen/fake description. :beer:

Peter P.
09-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Vastly overpriced. I wouldn't bid $1k for the package.

That bike is for collectors and knowledgeable types in search of vintage cool. That's fine, but your buddy is looking for a steel bike to RIDE, not pose with.

Unless either of you is prepared to auction off the parts and put more recent technology on the frame, not to mention spread the dropouts to fit, steer clear and keep looking.

zmudshark
09-28-2011, 07:48 PM
7 speed DA, I think, most likely Uniglide.

FWIW, I bought a nicer DA equipped De Rosa back when the economy was good for around $700/delivered.

To me, the components add nothing to the package. The chrome seems to be bubbling on the chain stays, as well.

I love me the De Rosa's, but I think you can do better, if you/your friend can be patient.

Not crazy about the vague size description on this bike, either. What is the ideal size your friend is looking for?

gomango
09-28-2011, 09:16 PM
I own a DA equipped De Rosa.

Nice bike, no doubt.

In fact, I love the bike and its local racing history.

Mine is in better overall condition I think.

I have a standing offer from a member on another forum for $1,500.

She's still here though.

Haven't found a reason to sell it yet, although that order date looms on the horizon for my Kirk. :)

thinpin
09-28-2011, 10:23 PM
54-55tt and st will work him. He is in no hurry. I was vaguely interested in this a F/F only but was more intrigued by the differening prices displayed. Made me think scam but some folk here have a much better eye for a dud seller than I.

Mudbug
09-28-2011, 10:45 PM
The price is okay. It is about $100 too high for me. I love that Dura Ace gruppo more than later versions. Campagnolo C-Record would be better.

My only concern is the description section where is lists a price of $2500.00. It appears this is a copy of some html file posted elsewhere.

Aaron O
09-29-2011, 05:09 AM
I own a DA equipped De Rosa.

Nice bike, no doubt.

In fact, I love the bike and its local racing history.

Mine is in better overall condition I think.

I have a standing offer from a member on another forum for $1,500.

She's still here though.

Haven't found a reason to sell it yet, although that order date looms on the horizon for my Kirk. :)I've seen your's gmg, and it's nicer than this one. The reason I pointed out the DA gruppo was strictly value, C-record or SR goes higher. For riding? No question - the da group!

gomango
09-29-2011, 07:44 AM
I've seen your's gmg, and it's nicer than this one. The reason I pointed out the DA gruppo was strictly value, C-record or SR goes higher. For riding? No question - the da group!

Yeah, the DA is a no doubt a hang up for folks when it comes to my last De Rosa.

I like it quite a bit though, and it isn't as if I have a shortage of Campy equipped bikes for balance.

Feels weird to be down to two De Rosas in the house.

We've had up to five at one time, kind of like a shelter for lost Italian racing bikes. :)