PDA

View Full Version : and now for even more good news ....

Ahneida Ride
09-27-2011, 07:49 PM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/d-m-v-to-drop-eye-exam-for-license-renewals/

New York drivers worried about having to read a line on an eye chart to renew their license can rest easy.

Starting on Wednesday, the Department of Motor Vehicles will no longer require New Yorkers to pass a vision test before renewing a driver’s license.
:crap:

Instead, New Yorkers will “self-certify” that they can see what’s on the road when they renew their licenses, the agency’s commissioner, Barbara J. Fiala, said in a statement issued Monday.

slowandsteady
09-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Now THAT is scary news!!!

Louis
09-27-2011, 08:52 PM
We know they must have decent eyesight, if they can text while driving.

parris
09-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Here's a Barb Fiala story. Before she went to Albany she was the county exec for Broome county and as such when county employees get their 5, 10, 15 etc. certificates for years of service they're issued from the county execs office with the county execs signature. When I got my 10 and 15 year paper they were both given to Parris George in acknowledgement for HER 10, 15 years of dedicated service. There's only one problem with this in that she got the gender wrong :crap: ! My 5 year by the way is correct which was issued by her predecessor.

I have zero faith in anything she does especially given that she and her office was made aware of the gaff the first time it happened.

ultraman6970
09-27-2011, 11:00 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NYC is really f...ed up!, they need people paying tickets but at the same time the city will become so f... unsafe for driving that probably is better just walk.

Can you guys imagine the 75 y/o guy that is going with his 95 y/o dad to renew diver licence? now the 95 old fart will pass for sure and the 75 y/o will pass too.

NYC needs to be clean up from the ground up, or this madness will stop when some big ass fish get crasshed by the 101 years old lady that is in the streets because of the stupid law.

Good luck with this one new yorkers, u guys will need it, now average age for drivers will be like 75 :)

rdparadise
09-28-2011, 02:09 AM
I don't have to get my eyes check in NJ when I renew my drivers license. Is this not the norm in other states?

Just sayin....

Bob

SamIAm
09-28-2011, 06:14 AM
I don't have to get my eyes check in NJ when I renew my drivers license. Is this not the norm in other states?

Just sayin....

Bob

Not sure about the norm, but it is required here in Georgia.

vsefiream
09-28-2011, 08:39 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NYC is really f...ed up!, they need people paying tickets but at the same time the city will become so f... unsafe for driving that probably is better just walk.

Can you guys imagine the 75 y/o guy that is going with his 95 y/o dad to renew diver licence? now the 95 old fart will pass for sure and the 75 y/o will pass too.

NYC needs to be clean up from the ground up, or this madness will stop when some big ass fish get crasshed by the 101 years old lady that is in the streets because of the stupid law.

Good luck with this one new yorkers, u guys will need it, now average age for drivers will be like 75 :)

Oh the sad part is this is state wide not just NYC. I'm painting my bike day-glow yellow and hoping they don't think it's "The Light"

jblande
09-28-2011, 08:42 AM
sometimes reading the newspaper feels like watching a country destroy itself.

goonster
09-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Can you guys imagine the 75 y/o guy that is going with his 95 y/o dad to renew diver licence?
Haven't you heard? New Yorkers move to Florida when they get that old . . .

johnnymossville
09-28-2011, 09:10 AM
PA and MD both require vision checks. Maybe NY doesn't want to offend blind drivers. That would be mean.

David Kirk
09-28-2011, 09:17 AM
As long as you can see to dial your Jitterbig phone while driving what else do you need?

dave

AngryScientist
09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
NJ does all drivers license renewals through the mail. the DMV offices are already completely under staffed and over run, thank goodness we do not require vision checks.

in further budget cuts, NJ now has NO vehicle safety inspection. bi-annual vehicle inspections now are emissions only, done through the OBD-II port, in and out in 5 minutes.

bad brakes or suspension or cracked windshield cars now go right through inspection and pass! this IMO is going to lead to a ton of unsafe cars on the roads in the coming years, much bigger issue for us than vision tests ...

jblande
09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
NJ does all drivers license renewals through the mail. the DMV offices are already completely under staffed and over run, thank goodness we do not require vision checks.

in further budget cuts, NJ now has NO vehicle safety inspection. bi-annual vehicle inspections now are emissions only, done through the OBD-II port, in and out in 5 minutes.

bad brakes or suspension or cracked windshield cars now go right through inspection and pass! this IMO is going to lead to a ton of unsafe cars on the roads in the coming years, much bigger issue for us than vision tests ...

Chris Christie for president!

sg8357
09-28-2011, 09:37 AM
As long as you can see to dial your Jitterbig phone while driving what else do you need?

dave

In Kentucky they require you to demo a proper reverse bootleg turn
and the ability to reload a model 12 while doing the deer avoidance
maneuver.

ultraman6970
09-28-2011, 10:08 AM
VA ask you the vision test.

Man, renewals and new driver licenses were like in my country, 100% of the population over 70 y/o wouldn't be driving, and 90% of the kids wanting a DL wouldn't pass because are stupid, or lack reflexes that are measured with machines. That would leave OUT practically all the dangerous suckers that shouldn't be driving.

fiamme red
09-28-2011, 10:42 AM
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Greenwich-woman-injured-in-Stamford-train-accident-2191926.php

STAMFORD -- An 80-year-old Greenwich woman was in stable condition at Stamford Hospital after her vehicle collided with a Metro-North train in the Springdale section of the city shortly after noon Tuesday.

It appears Theresa Apruzzese ran into the train as it was crossing Riverbend Drive South off Hope Street. No charges have been filed, but police confiscated Apruzzese's driver's license and were investigating.

Fixed
09-28-2011, 11:47 AM
anything to save a dime these days at the expense of human life
cheers

ultraman6970
09-28-2011, 12:13 PM
No comments.

Sandy
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
VA ask you the vision test.

Man, renewals and new driver licenses were like in my country, 100% of the population over 70 y/o wouldn't be driving, and 90% of the kids wanting a DL wouldn't pass because are stupid, or lack reflexes that are measured with machines. That would leave OUT practically all the dangerous suckers that shouldn't be driving.

Several thoughts- I am going to be 71 on my next birthday and I think I see well enough and react well enough to not be part of your 100% given above.

On the other hand, My x-father-in-law drove in his 90's. Problem was, he was a lousy driver when he was in his 50's (or younger). I once was in his car, with him driving, as he proceeded down a one way street in the wrong direction. He was upset with the motorists who passed him, while they were going in the correct direction, as they honked their car's horn at him. I made it a point going forward to drive with him as little as possible.

He became very upset when family members told him (in his 90's) that he should stop driving, as he was extremely independent and not be allowed to drive would take his independence from him.

Studebaker Sandy

Spinz
09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
You guys up there in NYC have nothing to worry about. Those old drivers will all eventually move to Florida. Lp

slowandsteady
09-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Just sayin....

Bob

Required Here in NH

bambam
09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Sadly in Kentucky you only take an eye test when you get a permit.

Fixed
09-28-2011, 03:19 PM
careless comes in all ages
cheers

Dekonick
09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Several thoughts- I am going to be 71 on my next birthday and I think I see well enough and react well enough to not be part of your 100% given above.

On the other hand, My x-father-in-law drove in his 90's. Problem was, he was a lousy driver when he was in his 50's (or younger). I once was in his car, with him driving, as he proceeded down a one way street in the wrong direction. He was upset with the motorists who passed him, while they were going in the correct direction, as they honked their car's horn at him. I made it a point going forward to drive with him as little as possible.

He became very upset when family members told him (in his 90's) that he should stop driving, as he was extremely independent and not be allowed to drive would take his independence from him.

Studebaker Sandy

Prove it... drive to my house and bring your Ottrott... a ride for old times sake!

Ferrous (Fe)
09-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Glad I don't live, drive or (especially) ride in NY......and I never will, apparently.