PDA

View Full Version : I need a new bike...

4Rings6Stars
09-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Long post. read if you want background but bottom line: I need a year round city commuter that takes fenders and I can lock to a fence 5 hours. Budget is nonexistent but I have nice bikes I could sell or convert.

I am still in school and live in Boston in a somewhat hilly neighborhood. Commute is about 5-7 miles each way. I have to leave my bike locked up outside at school and locked to a rack in the parking garage at work. I don't commute if it's below 10 degrees or pouring rain but do ride year round, wet or dry.

I used to commute on beaters but since 90% of my riding is on this bike it's foolish to have my nice (said lightly compared to many of the bikes you all have) bikes hanging up while I ride around daily on a pos...

Recently I've been commuting on my Ti Merckx with 9s campy but it has no room for fenders and I'm worried it will get stolen.

Last winter I built a dedicated fendered commuter from the Nashbar cross frame but it was a worse ride than the 80s fuji it replaced. I then commuted on my Raleigh Team cross Alu/carbon but was worried about it's durability and it wasn't the most inspiring ride either.

My steel Indy Fab Planet X is my favorite riding bike, followed closely by my Merckx MX Leader but I'm terrified to lock either of these outside.

I don't like to commute on my 26" mtbs. I hate cantilever brakes.

Should I:
sell my ti Merckx to fund a black powder coat and some new components for my IF and slap some race blades on there? (hate to lose the orig paint but it's too much of a theft target)
Sell my ti Merckx and buy an off the shelf steel 29er?

Fixed
09-27-2011, 03:34 PM
if it is worth riding

someone will take it

if they can

cheers imho

get a beater that rides nice

4Rings6Stars
09-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree anything is at risk of being stolen but I think the IF logo will be a target, especially in Boston/Cambridge where the bike will be locked. It's a very well known brand around these parts...

Aaron O
09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Can I select none of the above?

Is the parking garage you mention outdoor or indoor? Is there a guard? I lock my good bikes up, with a crummy cheap-o ubolt, in my parking garage's bike area because it's safe, with limited access and you don't even really need a lock at all.

If it's outdoors with public access, I think you have a legit concern.

I would NOT change the paint on the IF...and I think weirder brands like that are relatively safe. I think the vast majority of thieves are opportunist junkies who barely know names, and if they do - they know the "normal" stuff; Trek, Cannondale, Specialized. I don't think an IF or Merckx is really more of a target than a Fuji in most cases, and maybe less of one. Of course if a sophisticated thief comes along (is there such a thing?), you're done.

Another nice thing is stuff like a Merckx AX or IF is going to stick out. You warn the shops, post CL ads and if the thief doesn't move it to another city, it's going to get spotted. Again - it comes down to how you view theft; I don't believe this sophisticated ring of bike thieves that can spot the nuances of a valuable bike and move it to another city for sale exists. I think they get stolen by kids and junkies because they were convenient...and they end up in pawn shops or in sales for fractions of their value.

I guess what I'm saying is...don't sweat it. If you're worried, get renter's insurance and make sure it will cover bike theft. Get estimates on your bike from a vintage shop...take lots of photos and archive ebay sales of similar bikes.

I would NOT sell that AWESOME Merckx if there was an option.

If you're determined to have a winter bike, flip a few bikes if you can, sell the Nashbar, and get yourself a rain/winter beater for those few days.

fiamme red
09-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I would NOT change the paint on the IF...and I think weirder brands like that are relatively safe. I think the vast majority of thieves are opportunist junkies who barely know names, and if they do - they know the "normal" stuff; Trek, Cannondale, Specialized. I don't think an IF or Merckx is really more of a target than a Fuji in most cases, and maybe less of one. Of course if a sophisticated thief comes along (is there such a thing?), you're done.Yes, not all bike thieves are junkies, at least in NYC. Many of them know what's what.

veloduffer
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
What about a folding bike? Could you bring that inside?

Otherwise, I would look for a cheap single speed frame to spray paint black and use cheap track wheels. Since it is hilly, you'd probably need some low gearing to go up and just coast down hill.

Aaron O
09-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Philly is lower class...I think we just have the junkies!

A guy has been parking a bike with a Brooks Swallow, copper rivets, outside my office for two years. I am continually amazed that no one has stolen it. If there was an even borderline competent bike thief, you'd think his saddle/seatpost would be gone.

4Rings6Stars
09-27-2011, 03:52 PM
The rack at work is indoors and pretty safe but for the next 10 months I'm still in grad school and lock it up to a fence outside. My 'campus' is right in town and borders some not so nice neighborhoods.

I agree that most bike thieves wouldn't know an IF or a Merckx but I worry that in Boston specifically the IF would be a target. I'm probably overthinking it...

Aaron, trade me that old Merckx of yours with the weird geometry for the AX... Didn't that survive unmolested on the streets with a C Record group?? Problem solved :)

4Rings6Stars
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
What about a folding bike? Could you bring that inside?

Otherwise, I would look for a cheap single speed frame to spray paint black and use cheap track wheels. Since it is hilly, you'd probably need some low gearing to go up and just coast down hill.

Not to come off as rude, not my intention I appreciate your response however, thats the exact opposite of what I'm looking for... I want something that will ride like my MX Leader or Independent Fabrication but will take fenders. Also I've tried the SS thing and didn't like it. Too hilly for me to enjoy.

christian
09-27-2011, 03:59 PM
I would look for something like a Specialized Sequoia, Trek 620, Schwinn Prelude etc. 47-57mm reach brakes, 1" top tubes, ride really nice. Spray paint it black if you have to.

I would not ride a 29er on the road for money.

Aaron O
09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
The rack at work is indoors and pretty safe but for the next 10 months I'm still in grad school and lock it up to a fence outside. My 'campus' is right in town and borders some not so nice neighborhoods.

I agree that most bike thieves wouldn't know an IF or a Merckx but I worry that in Boston specifically the IF would be a target. I'm probably overthinking it...

Aaron, trade me that old Merckx of yours with the weird geometry for the AX... Didn't that survive unmolested on the streets with a C Record group?? Problem solved :)

Amazing right? Steve Bauer's Merckx survived with a c-record/ergo group, outdoors in North Philly, for over 5 months. The mind boggles.

I think I'd be nervous about the campus part, but not at all about the indoor/work part. Is there a way you can use one bike for work and another for campus?

For what you're describing, I'd go after a Japanese Sports tourer...NOT a full tourer. It's not going to ride like your AX or IF, but it'll ride well for your purpose. A Miyata 914 with eyelets would probably be the ideal bike. I think having the clearances to run fenders likely means you're talking about changes to geometry that are going to make the ride NOT like the AX or IF. The suggestions above me are real good too.

Another consideration might be a cross bike.

4ring - there is a guy on Philly CL selling a 92' Gary Fisher Sphinx...Deore LX...which was sort of like an early monster cross bike. He was asking $300 and i don't know if it sold. Any interest?

FWIW I didn't find 29rs much different from a comparable width 26inch wheel.

keithreynolds
09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
+1 for a decent beater. Get some wider tires 30+ and fenders, yer set.

A buddy of mine got his Serotta stolen out of the john hancock building - granted it was probably during an evening when there was a Sox game - but they had a guard within 300 feet of the bike rack area. No one reported a thing.

christian
09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
BTW, lest you think a recommendation for a 1983 Sequoia is a recommendation for a "crappy" beater, I would say that my favorite riding steel bikes are:

1) My MX Leader
2) My old Sequoia
3) My Pegoretti Palosanto

And they are separated by tenths of percents in terms of preference. It is a beautiful well-crafted production frame, and it rides really nice.

Bradford
09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I would pick up an used Cannondale touring bike from ebay or Craig's list.

Aluminum, so you don't have to worry about rust. Touring bikes are nice for commuting for racks, fenders, wide tires, etc. And it is a much nicer ride than you would suspect.

If not the Cannondale, and old Trek 520 would be my next choice.

Then, do your worst rattle can paint job, preferable a few different dark colors.

You'll be good to go.

cmg
09-27-2011, 04:30 PM
bikes direct. it'll cost you the same to set up an old merckx as it would to buy from BD. give it a look.

stien
09-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, you know that I know that you need another bike like you need another hole in the head.

That being said, I say go C&V. A light tourer like a Raleigh with a long wheelbase and wider (28/32c) tires. Awesome ride. They are relatively cheap and won't get looked at twice.

I lock my bikes up inside wherever I go. Nobody even gets to look at it to think about how nice it is! I often brought my bike into class with me also.

jr59
09-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I would look for something like a Specialized Sequoia, Trek 620, Schwinn Prelude etc. 47-57mm reach brakes, 1" top tubes, ride really nice. Spray paint it black if you have to.

I would not ride a 29er on the road for money.

I think this idea is sound. The 620's and the prelude's both ride like a dream, and are not that much $$$.

If not, find an old surly and ugly it up to look like a beater.

bike22
09-27-2011, 06:33 PM
28c tires, fenders (sks p35 or similar), dual pivots.

some well designed bikes can take a 28c+ a fender under a short reach dual pivot.

4Rings6Stars
09-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Some people mentioned getting a cross bike. I've tried two aluminum cross bikes and they didn't do it for me. My IF is a cross bike and it DOES it for me. It's my favorite riding bike. Part of me wants to have some brazeons added and get it PC'd flat black and I know that would KILL the value but I don't plan on ever selling this bike so I'm not worried about that.

I like the suggestions for getting an older steel sport touring frame, that's probably the route I will go. I've got an old Benotto racing bike with 9s Ultegra on it right now as my rain bike...also doesn't take fenders. I will probably sell that frame to fund something with a longer wheel base and room for bigger tires/fenders.

Here is the IF (click to enlarge)
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/th_IMG_0982.jpg (http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/?action=view&current=IMG_0982.jpg)

bike22
09-27-2011, 06:48 PM
single speed or fixed gear?
or
something like a 1x7/8/9/10 with a 44-48t front chainring?

4Rings6Stars
09-27-2011, 06:54 PM
single speed or fixed gear?
or
something like a 1x7/8/9/10 with a 44-48t front chainring?

No dice on a single speed. While most of my daily riding is on flat, I live on top of a decent size hill and the gearing I would need to get up the hill would mean I would spin out at about 12 mph on the flats...

I built up a fixed gear this summer to try it out and it killed my knees instantly...and I had to walk my last half mile home b/c of the hill. No fun.

When I built up the Nashbar frame it was a 1x9 and it was plenty. I will probably go that route with the build.

jr59
09-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Some people mentioned getting a cross bike. I've tried two aluminum cross bikes and they didn't do it for me. My IF is a cross bike and it DOES it for me. It's my favorite riding bike. Part of me wants to have some brazeons added and get it PC'd flat black and I know that would KILL the value but I don't plan on ever selling this bike so I'm not worried about that.

I like the suggestions for getting an older steel sport touring frame, that's probably the route I will go. I've got an old Benotto racing bike with 9s Ultegra on it right now as my rain bike...also doesn't take fenders. I will probably sell that frame to fund something with a longer wheel base and room for bigger tires/fenders.

Here is the IF (click to enlarge)
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/th_IMG_0982.jpg (http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/?action=view&current=IMG_0982.jpg)

Don't do that!! My god that is to good looking a bike to paint flat black!

+1000 on the older touring/sport type frame. Or maybe something like this,

http://www.habcycles.com/cross.html

tugrul
09-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm surprised a school, in Boston of all places, hasn't provided a solution for this. NYU had restricted access racks at least a decade ago.

Haven't you had an unassuming vintage bike with a reputation for a nice ride pass through your hands? A U series Peugeot or something?

Or find some private label bikes, like Performance or Novara. Who has ever heard of a Palo Alto? ;)

I actually have a 21" Novara Tange #2 frame/fork and scratched up paint, but it's full touring with cantilever brakes.

rccardr
09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Sell the Benotto, buy a late 80's Schwinn Tempo./Super Sport/Circuit/Prelude. It will be ready to ride without any need to upgrade (that Shimano 105/600 stuff is indestructible yet silky smooth) and they will take fenders with 23's and MAYBE 25's.

Bulletproof, and not too theftable when rattlecanned flat black with random neon pink and yellow accents. Maybe with streamers. :)

4Rings6Stars
09-27-2011, 08:29 PM
ahh some familiar c&v faces with more sound advice. Thanks guys.

Tugrul, I can run mini-v brakes so I'm not entirely against frames with canti mounts....send a PM if you're looking to unload that frame I know it's way too small for you. There is a chance I might be interested.

doc, have any of those frames in the 52cm range in storage? Have your guy powder coat it black then ship it out to Boston... :cool:

hockeybike
09-27-2011, 08:44 PM
I just set up something similar--I didn't like having a 'crappy beater' and didn't want dt/bar endies, so I found a Bianchi Volpe from the 80s, put silver veloce on it and silver Mini-Vs. The veloce 10s shifts an 8s cassette well enough for my liking, so I didn't even have to replace the derailleurs. Great work commuter. Fatter tires to deal with the crappy roads in DC and it has fender/rack mounts, so that's the next step for the winter.

It helps to have a good lock. If someone wants to hack through my 5lb kyrptonite yellow U lock, they've earned the bike.