PDA

View Full Version : Zipp......why the hate?

BCS
09-27-2011, 08:10 AM
I have decided to buy some carbon tubular race wheels. I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of Enve 1.45s with either Alchemy or DT240s when I read Pez's review of for the new Zipp 303 Firecrest tubular. It was a great review.

Are there currently real problems with Zipp hubs/rims etc. or do just love to hate posers (like me) who gravitate towards them? Experience/opinions welcome.

oldpotatoe
09-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I have decided to buy some carbon tubular race wheels. I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of Enve 1.45s with either Alchemy or DT240s when I read Pez's review of for the new Zipp 303 Firecrest tubular. It was a great review.

Are there currently real problems with Zipp hubs/rims etc. or do just love to hate posers (like me) who gravitate towards them? Experience/opinions welcome.

VERY small cart bearings thruout these and other Zipp wheels. Any wet riding and you will be replacing the bearings. If when new, take all the seals off, lotsa grease in there, replace seals(6 bearings, 4 rear, 2 front) will help.

I saw 2 sets of wheels from a Pro Triathlete who rode them for 2 weeks in FLA, rather wet and I had to replace all the bearings.

Likes2ridefar
09-27-2011, 08:45 AM
my experience is quite different than old potatoes with the current and previous year 404 tubulars.

i've raced the %#$$ out of both and raced many days in the rain and not had problems with the bearings.

i think they are great wheels and definitely worthy of your consideration.

Charles M
09-27-2011, 09:39 AM

That review was of the last edition/ non firecrest. The 303 were a good leader toward FC tech that a few others are trying to follow.

And, zipp have had very few problems with the last hub(2011 version, as they have a brand new updated hub just released) You'll find folks that will bitch about the old stuff but the latest edition hubs and rims have gone very well...

I've had 6 sets on the latest hubs and not had to replace bearings on any and the oldest set is 3 years old. I also ride with more than 30 guys on them and I've replaced 4 sets of bearings in the last 2 years and in 3 cases it was to change to ceramic(not worth it IMO) and in the other, he had played with the adjustment and screwed up his own bearings. He's had it set right for more than a year now with no issues.

The one place Zipp have made a running change on the last set of hubs was in the retainer ring around the spoke holes at the hub. They beefed that up.

The latest edition is more of a redesign with a bit wider flanges and is also upgraded in a couple of other areas based on wear patterns from the training sets used by pro riders...

The last hub was very good. The very latest kicks ass... I Would be surprised if anyone else has miles on then latest hub to comment as it's been available to the public for a VERY short time.

Nothing wrong with ENVE product either. Good stuff and comparable (I'll make no argument one way or the other) to zipp in durability.

Ti Designs
09-27-2011, 10:01 AM
I have decided to buy some carbon tubular race wheels.

When you say race wheels, do you mean wheels you only race on or wheels you put on your bike and ride all the time?

BCS
09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Race and special events only

forrestw
09-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I've owned a set of 404 / 650 size and currently ride on 303 wheels, 2006 model.

I think Zipps rock and are pretty damn good value. This season I've left my 303s on after all my big events were over just because they're a lot of fun to ride. Also, touching on a recent weight thread here, my bike comes down to 17 lbs when I've got the Zipps on and after knocking out 80 or 100 miles, the trip up the stairs at the end of the ride is when I really notice the weight difference. Is that worth the money? Of course not but it sure is a pleasure.

Zipp's hubs are far and away the lightest and lowest rotational resistance at their price point. That does cost some in bearing life but as others have noted, all recent versions have a reputation for holding up well. Now I really do favor cup&cone bearings but the Zipp hubs are among the few cartridge-bearing designs I like.

Reynolds seem to be a decent option and I know some folks who prefer them. To split hairs, Reynolds uses NACA airfoils and Zipp claims their wind tunnel work has better results. I expect they're dead on on this. Many years ago when I was involved in boats and boat racing technology, those people were finding that NACA airfoils (which are designed for *aircraft* moving at high speed and very different reynolds numbers) did not provide optimal lift / drag at the lower velocities encountered in sailing. The same comparisons should apply to bike wheels.