PDA

View Full Version : OT: our aircraft has struck some birds

rwsaunders
09-27-2011, 08:03 AM
That's how our pilot described the incident when we were landing in Denver yesterday as the port engine shuddered like a set of cantis on a cx fork...notice the bike content reference.

As soon as the aircraft landed, we pulled over as we left the runway, turned off all power and waited for the the fire crews to check things out. I guess they can't take any chances, so they sent a tug out to pull us to the gate.

When we left the aircraft, I took a few shots with my phone of the crew (even the flight attendants) taking photo of the birds in engine with their phones. And yes, it did smell like well done chicken in the cabin.

SAAB, what happens in a situation like that? Does the engine actually shut down or does the crew perform the task?

johnnymossville
09-27-2011, 08:04 AM
you could actually smell cooked bird in there? LOL

bikerboy337
09-27-2011, 08:09 AM
glad you landed ok... must be pretty scary...

oldpotatoe
09-27-2011, 08:10 AM
you could actually smell cooked bird in there? LOL

Took a bird when taking off in a Phantom from Virginia Beach, going to Wright-Patt for Hurrivac(mid 70s). Post flight looked inside and saw the bird 'remains', smelled like fish so I assume it was a gull.

If ya take a bird and the engine looks like it's OK, you press on. If it damages the engine, with associated warning lights and overtemps, you shut it down. If that's a bad idea, like at the ship, you set it at idle, land one engine. Not really a big deal unless you lose both, if ya only got 2. I didn't even know I took a bird until I landed. Military aviation, not sure what commercial aviation procedures are.

Probably if ya know it, you land asap.

gone
09-27-2011, 08:26 AM
All things considered, even though you've got a spare engine I'd rather hit one while landing than while taking off. Something about shutting off an engine while going full gas on a climb that's definitely scarier.

GregL
09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Bird strikes are a matter of course for professional pilots. It's not a matter of IF, but how often and how many. I've taken strikes through turbofan engines (both down the middle and through the bypass ducts), through props, on the leading edge of the wings, on landing gears, on the nose, and on the windshield. The scariest was a seagull on the center of the windshield while on a night visual approach. Didn't even see it through the haze, but the sound scared the heck out me. No damage to anything other than my heart from the sudden surge of adrenaline...

Oldpotatoe's comments on when you shut down an engine are generally in line with civilian aviation. If the engine shows no signs of damage, you keep it running and determine if an immediate landing is necessary based on the situation and your company procedures. If all the red lights come on, shut it down (the engines don't do that automatically) and land at the nearest appropriate airport.

-Greg

A1CKot
09-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Took a bird when taking off in a Phantom from Virginia Beach, going to Wright-Patt for Hurrivac(mid 70s). Post flight looked inside and saw the bird 'remains', smelled like fish so I assume it was a gull.

If ya take a bird and the engine looks like it's OK, you press on. If it damages the engine, with associated warning lights and overtemps, you shut it down. If that's a bad idea, like at the ship, you set it at idle, land one engine. Not really a big deal unless you lose both, if ya only got 2. I didn't even know I took a bird until I landed. Military aviation, not sure what commercial aviation procedures are.

Probably if ya know it, you land asap.

Sounds about the same as what I know as a jet engine mechanic. Most strikes go unnoticed in the air with post flights revealing any damage. If its really bad we have to do an engine change. Most times we blend the blades that are bent or nicked but we have strict limits for that. More modern engines can just change paired blades.

The worst part is the smell and cleaning out the inlet. Not fun...

dave thompson
09-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Sounds about the same as what I know as a jet engine mechanic. Most strikes go unnoticed in the air with post flights revealing any damage. If its really bad we have to do an engine change. Most times we blend the blades that are bent or nicked but we have strict limits for that. More modern engines can just change paired blades.

The worst part is the smell and cleaning out the inlet. Not fun...
Back in the 'day' I was a mechanic on the C 124s (semi-affectionately know as "Shakey", for very good reasons if you've ever flown in one). They had 200,000 btu combustion heaters in pods on the wingtips to provide very hot air for wing de-icing, if they ever managed to get up that high. When our planes would return from west Pacific missions, Japan, Guam, Midway, the intakes for those wingtip heaters would often be filled with gooney birds or sea gulls, well done. One of my more technical jobs was removing what was left of the crispy critters. Ah yes, those were the days.

Louis
09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Back in the 'day' I was a mechanic on the C 124s (semi-affectionately know as "Shakey", for very good reasons if you've ever flown in one).

I'm surprised those things didn't just scare the birds away... ;)

dave thompson
09-27-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm surprised those things didn't just scare the birds away... ;)
They were certainly slow enough. I think birds were moderately faster.

scooter01
09-28-2011, 05:55 AM
I thought the 124 suffered bird strikes from the rear:)

Don49
09-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Is there a Forensic Ornithologist on board?

bheight1
09-29-2011, 08:59 AM
You may want to rethink flying into NY LGA in 2013, once the NEW trash depot - transfer station opens and your plane MUST fly over it. You'd think after Capt Sully parked on the Hudson, this would be a bad idea and bad place to put a bird magnet??? Beaurocratic birdbrains.