PDA

View Full Version : Perspiration- Can there be too much???

Sandy
07-18-2005, 05:33 PM
As Smiley and anyone knows who has ridden with me, I perspire a great deal when cycling. I drink a lot of fluids while riding, and I perspire much more than about anyone I ride with. I did a 34 mile ride on Saturday. It was very warm and humid. On occasion, I could actually see the perspiration dripping off of me, very rapidly.

I am taking care of my daughter's dog, Darby, and when I just walk him, I come back soaked.

Is it possible that I perspire too much, or is actually good that I perspire so much, to help me cool off?

Soaking Serotta Sandy

dirtdigger88
07-18-2005, 05:36 PM
yes- you can become dehydrated

jason

Tom
07-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Yes you can. I do. I sweat like there's no tomorrow. I am led to understand that this is a good thing, but I got reminded that you have to watch what you eat and make sure you get lots of trace minerals and absolutely keep your potassium, calcium and sodium levels up where they should be.

Brons2
07-18-2005, 09:10 PM
As Smiley and anyone knows who has ridden with me, I perspire a great deal when cycling. I drink a lot of fluids while riding, and I perspire much more than about anyone I ride with. I did a 34 mile ride on Saturday. It was very warm and humid. On occasion, I could actually see the perspiration dripping off of me, very rapidly.

I am taking care of my daughter's dog, Darby, and when I just walk him, I come back soaked.

Is it possible that I perspire too much, or is actually good that I perspire so much, to help me cool off?

Soaking Serotta Sandy

When I ride, in hot Texas, the sweat is literally pouring off of me. Hasn't killed me yet! I do drink a lot, I'll consume both water bottles between stops on a ride, and then some. I have to plan out no more than 10-15 miles between stops when it's real hot (95+) cause I just can't carry enough water to keep up with my body's demands.

dirtdigger88
07-18-2005, 09:31 PM
I guess that is true- I guess sweating directly wont hurt you- the loss of fluids and electrolytes will- so as long as you keep feeding the loss you should be ok- but what do I know- I kill plants for a living

Jason

Peter
07-18-2005, 10:38 PM
It is NOT possible to sweat too much. Sweating is an automatic response and is self regulating-you're body knows how hot it is and knows how much to sweat (until your body has reached it's desired, preferred temperature).

The only thing that's possible is you may drink too much or too little, either of which can cause physical problems.

Kevan
07-18-2005, 10:55 PM
According to an article in just last week's Washington Post, scientists in your area have been trying to determine why the Chesapeake has been experiencing an increase in both salinity and water table. It seems marshland breeding grounds are being flooded from an unknown source of runoff, and it has virtually ruined the area for waterfowl breeding grounds. Also, certain species of fish are dieing in large numbers, thus polluting the bay's recreational beaches, because the fish are unable to tolerate the drastic increase in salt in the water and other trace elements more commonly found in dogs' flea and tick collars.

Good Lord man, think of what you're doing to your environment.

gasman
07-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Sandy- worry only if you stop sweating.

Needs Help
07-19-2005, 11:45 AM
On occasion, I could actually see the perspiration dripping off of me, very rapidly.
Congratulations, you're becoming an athlete.

J.M. White
07-19-2005, 12:20 PM
"Rainman"???

scottcw
07-19-2005, 12:28 PM
I could ride a century with several tough climbs without sweating much when I lived in CA. Here in NY, I start sweating before I go a couple of miles. So location and humidity has a lot to do with how much you sweat.

deechee
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
I was just wondering about that as well. Yesterday I was washing dishes and the sweat was just dribbling down. Often, guys in my club question whether they're working hard enough when they're not sweating and I'm drenched. Yes, location and humidity are a factor but when everyone else is looking dry and you're the only one soaked, it makes you wonder.

My doc told me the same thing: if you're not sweating that's a problem. Otherwise, live with it.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGgg

zap
07-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Sandy, one big reason why helmets suck.

Nothing cooler than riding with a bare head. Lighter too.

But one way to solve your "shower" problem is to ride faster and watch the sweat dribble back and off your helmet. But then it sucks when you go up hill again and all that crap runs down your face.

But anyhow, Sandy Stay Sweating :beer:

Kevan
07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Doo rag!

Anything less you're a rainbird.