PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone here built there own house?

itsflantastic
09-26-2011, 09:43 PM
What construction method did you use? What was the approximate cost? Very interested in how people make their homes...

dhoff
09-26-2011, 09:47 PM
not my own but other peoples, range was 150-300 per square foot. Used many construction methods, stick build at various levels and also Structural insulated panes. Have framed roofs and used trusses, built trusses on site and ordered them, worked on on timber frame but it want my project.

What would you like to know?

I know more about high efficiency and green building than I do about traditional construction.

-d

oliver1850
09-26-2011, 09:58 PM
My parents built a new house and we all worked on it. I think the worst part was all the decisions that had to be made. Picking out woodwork, hardware, light fixtures, flooring, cabinets, and every other detail is a huge task, especially for a large house. Really not something I want to go through again.

itsflantastic
09-26-2011, 10:00 PM
I've been looking into straw bale houses, cob construction, hobbit houses like Simon Dale's (http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/07/hobbit-houses.html), more traditional construction like Ben Law's Roundwood Timber stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elF7W_kKi4E).

For now, I guess I'm just researching various non-traditional methods. I love the idea of living off-grid (I've done it before for a time in someone else's house and loved it) in a wooded, natural environment. I also love the idea of making one's own home and being self-sufficient.

Folks here have such varied backgrounds that I thought I'd throw the topic out there to see what experiences people have had.
:beer:

Louis
09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Build a Tumbleweed House (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/) :)

http://tinyhouselistings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/tumbleweed-tiny-house-company.jpg

itsflantastic
09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
My parents built a new house and we all worked on it. I think the worst part was all the decisions that had to be made. Picking out woodwork, hardware, light fixtures, flooring, cabinets, and every other detail is a huge task, especially for a large house. Really not something I want to go through again.

The sense of accomplishment wasn't worth it, eh? :) How big was the house?

dhoff
09-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I've been looking into straw bale houses, cob construction, hobbit houses like Simon Dale's (http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/07/hobbit-houses.html), more traditional construction like Ben Law's Roundwood Timber stuff

I have seen several straw bale homes that really worked and one that did not work at all. They are great IF they are truly waterproof, but the moment the surface leaks at all, the house is OVER. you will never know that something is wrong until the insides of the wall have begun to rot. By then the house needs to come apart completely to solve the problem. There are plenty of people who do it well.

I suggest considering the alternative building techniques only with someone experienced on your team. There is no room for error. Traditional construction leaves lots of room for error. There is a back up plan and a back up plan for the back up plan.

As I said above I know a bit about energy efficiency, but I have never been fully off the grid. I was set up to go off, once, but there was still electric run to the house. I don't think I would have noticed a power outage if I wan't looking for a hot shower.

-d

NHAero
09-26-2011, 11:12 PM
I've done it twice and we're considering #3. Here's number 2:
http://www.energysmiths.com/clients/nerdwood.php
The Fine Homebuilding article was as originally built, the house was quite a lab for me over the 25 years I lived there, so a lot of changes were made over time.

johnnymossville
09-27-2011, 08:01 AM
In "retirement" my Dad has spent the last 10 years building houses for two of his kids, and then for himself and my mom. I helped out on all three. laying foundation, cinder blocks, framing, flooring, drywall, roofing, tile,.. you name it.

Since all labor was "Free" the price generally is less than one half of what it would cost to have one built by most builders. The last house for example is a $350k house and it cost my dad about $105k to build.

All three houses were paid for with cash as they were building, and were built with materials bought at auction or through local newspapers. If I end up building a house I'll probably go the same route.

Birddog
09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Of all the alternatives styles, "straw bales" is one of the most proven and reliable. There are pitfalls of course. Another style, although more expensive is "rastra block" which is very permanent and uses post consumer recyclable ingredients.

veloduffer
09-27-2011, 09:17 AM
This isn't meant to derail the OP but how about experiences with modular homes? Seems like an in-between a self-build and buying a finished product.

guyintense
09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I built my house, about 5000 sq. ft. but I worked as a carpenter for over 8 years, so doing the form work and 2x6 framing was not new to me. I did a full hip roof with a 3 foot overhang. Stuco on the outside, 5/8 inch sheetrock on the inside, concrete slab and roof tile, pretty standard for the Mojave desert. Cost was around $50 a foot including an acre of land but that was 20 years ago and I did all the millwork and cabinets.
If I were to do it again I would consider straw bale but would do a post and beam type of framework and stuff the bales in between.
Or I might consider this:http://www.rastra.com/

dhoff
09-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Cost was around $50 a foot including an acre of land but that was 20 years agohttp://www.rastra.com/

I couldnt buy the materials only to meet building codes here for that. DAMN!

dhoff
09-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Of all the alternatives styles, "straw bales" is one of the most proven and reliable. There are pitfalls of course. Another style, although more expensive is "rastra block" which is very permanent and uses post consumer recyclable ingredients.

Great stuff, have worked with it, but not cheap!!!

cnighbor1
09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Has an Architect the big problem is cost overruns.
And they add up fast.
If doing the comlete house your self their are many tasks that you don't fully understand and than bring about additional costs to correct what you just did wrong. Each trade knows what not to do You don't

I would look at good prefab homes. were all that is needed is foundation and the services to house. Than the company takes it from there

Suggest buy dwell mag and go on line to see refabs in ads in it

Container shipping boxes a great way to go! 6,000,000 are for sale in USA
Sit one or two on steel columns about 10 feet in the air and apart by say 16 feet frame in rest with plywood panel with foam between sheets
do a search on line for container homes

What you want to avoid is going too far out that building codes don't cover what your building. Trying standing next to a building inspector and explaining why your straw house meets codes. A building prefit is only that a premit to build a house. Mainly zoning checks. Building insector is the final authority

With all the foreclouses out there those could be a very low cost answer
Charles Nighbor Architect Walnut Creek, CA

johnnymossville
09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Has an Architect the big problem is cost overruns.
And they add up fast.
If doing the comlete house your self their are many tasks that you don't fully understand and than bring about additional costs to correct what you just did wrong. Each trade knows what not to do You don't...

I would agree with much of this, except for having seen it done multiple times personally through my Dad building houses himself (with some help from his kids) well into his 70's. It's not rocket-science. It's mostly just extremely hard work and perseverance that gets a house built. In fact, I've lived in several houses built by so-called "Professionals" that are laughable in quality, and have seen houses built completely by "Amateurs" that are stunning inside and out.

I will agree with you on this though. If you don't fully understand something and are unwilling to learn it quickly, go find a pro to do it for you, but choose well. A guy getting paid to do something doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

edl
09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
I would agree with much of this, except for having seen it done multiple times personally through my Dad building houses himself (with some help from his kids) well into his 70's. It's not rocket-science. It's mostly just extremely hard work and perseverance that gets a house built. In fact, I've lived in several houses built by so-called "Professionals" that are laughable in quality, and have seen houses built completely by "Amateurs" that are stunning inside and out.

I will agree with you on this though. If you don't fully understand something and are unwilling to learn it quickly, go find a pro to do it for you, but choose well. A guy getting paid to do something doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

So much truth in this post.

I "played" GC on my own house, and helped my parents "play" GC on their house. Both good sized projects in the Bay Area. I say play because realistically there's no way I could match the speed, cost control, and quality of a truly professional GC. On the other hand, I fired the "professional" GC I had two months into my project because after watching him work on the job and interact with all the subs, I knew he couldn't cut it.

It's not difficult. But you have to find good subs, know how to project manage, and be able to make decisions quickly.

That said, you really have to want a new house these days to build one. There's so much value in the short-sale/REO market...and if you still want to build, the prefab plans are decent if you're on a budget. You can still blow it all on trim-out and landscape/hardscape, but at least you cut the architect/plan fees out. :D

Birddog
09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Cnighbor1, after stumbling through your post I must admit that what you say is pretty much right on, but how you say it takes a lot of it back. You would have a lot more credibility (at least with me) if you would use spell check and just review your post before hitting the submit tab. I know I'll sound like a dick, but if that post represented a correspondence with me, you wouldn't be hired. Building a house is not hard, it just entails doing about 100,000 things in the proper order, (or knowing how to do it out of order w/o screwing yourself). The devil is in the details, and your post was fraught with signs of a lack of detail orientation. Just my opinion and worth whatever you give it. You might very well be extremely competent, it's just that your post was somewhat disheveled.

To the others that say "just hire pros". That only goes so far, you have to be in a position to judge the pros. My wife is constantly reminding me that there are a helluva lot of "pros" out there that put the "con" in contractor.

torquer
09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
This isn't meant to derail the OP but how about experiences with modular homes? Seems like an in-between a self-build and buying a finished product.
Modulars can be almost anywhere within that self-build to turn-key continuum. I was GC (as well as architect) for my father's house, and it taught me several things:

1. Advantages of modulars: factory construction insures that framing, decking, etc. stays out of the rain, which is the cause of warping in conventional wood-framed construction. Also, a modular that withstands 65 mph interstate transport will exceed conventional structural connection requirements. Surprise bonus, for multi-story buildings, since each module is a six-sided box, the ground floor's ceiling is isolated fron the second floor's floor, making for a quieter environment. (Just remember to take this into account when you design the stairs.)

2. Overstated advantages of modulars: cost (advantage declines as you opt for more customization) and time (still lots of site prep, foundations, mechanical sytems and connections). I was spared some on-site supervision which would have been required with conventioal construction (I had a day job, thank you), but all those other tasks don't take care of themselves. Don't expect the crane to drop the modules one week and move in the next. Lots of finish work, both interior and exterior, though this is reduced if buy a more standard, "spec-builder" product. But then why bother to build it yourself?

3. Disadvantages: the over-the road width limitation of the modules wasn't that hard to work with in the design, and some module builders offer significant flexibility in layouts, but you pay for that freedom. Also, the cabinets, carpeting, etc. offered by the module builder may be limited, though as always, nothing that more money wouldn't overcome. The biggest single headache (actually, I was on the floor with back spasms) was the coordination of the module delivery, crane rental, telephone, electric and cable wiring needed to be moved to accomodate the crane hoisting the modules into place, and, oh yeah, the local police for road closures. Then the crane rental company called me the week this was all happening and let me know they were "rescheduling!" Mad scramble to find another crane on three day's notice.

In the final analysis, maybe we saved 5 or 10% on total construction costs and a few months time (max). Compromised on a few, relatively minor design/finish features. I am in no hurry to do this again, but would not dismiss it as a method, should the need/opportunity come up again.