PDA

View Full Version : cyclists over 60 doing the Michigan Ramble

eddief
09-26-2011, 11:52 AM
2 weeks between Ludington and Mackinac City in upstate Michigan. Fine weather all but 2 days - nothing like 50 miles in the rain. After the Bay Area, Michigan is a real undulating cruise. Roads as smooth as a baby's bottom and scenery non-stop.

An album for trip participants, but you might enjoy too.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107231724174916923201/MichiganRambleSept2011#

93legendti
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Lake Shore/M-119 is one of the prettiest roads in America, they say. I've done the Harbor Springs to Mackinac ride so many times. Great roads, no cars and awesome scenery. The irony is the locals ride at 6:00 am because "there is too much traffic during the day". :)
That's a long way from Calif. How'd you end up there/here?

eddief
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
This was a Bicycle Adventure Club ride. 10 of 20 were from Ann Arbor cycling club. The rest were from scattered places around the country...mostly the East. Flew coupled travel bike to Detroit, rented car, drove to Pellston Airport, dropped off car, got picked there by ride leader from Ann Arbor. After Labor Day almost everywere we went was dead...in a good way.

Lake Shore/M-119 is one of the prettiest roads in America, they say. I've done the Harbor Springs to Mackinac ride so many times. Great roads, no cars and awesome scenery. The irony is the locals ride at 6:00 am because "there is too much traffic during the day". :)
That's a long way from Calif. How'd you end up there/here?

Louis
09-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Nice pics Eddie. Thanks for sharing.

maunahaole
09-26-2011, 06:30 PM
How was the fudge on Mackinac Island?

eddief
09-26-2011, 06:42 PM
around 9 oclock one night a friend and i are walking down the main street; mostly fudge and tshirt shops. as you know, no cars are allowed on Mack Island, so horses and horse poop are everywhere. my friend comes out of the fudge shop after buying a pound and we merge on the sidewalk along side 3 local teenagers. they told us that the fudge is just repackaged horse poop cleaned up off the street :). we had a good laugh at that.

i ate and drank like crazy on this bike trip and limited the fudge to about two bites.

How was the fudge on Mackinac Island?

93legendti
09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Eat any whitefish?

eddief
09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
was on just about every menu, but i never got around to it. i live in an area known as the gourmet ghetto...even though i am not a foodie. Upstate MI is not even in the ballpark and i was craving some good old tacos. got em at a pub on Mack Island, best dinner in two weeks.

Eat any whitefish?

MarleyMon
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Sweet pics - I stayed at Portage Point Inn in Onekama last August for a family reunion, and in that very building! Imagine that deck below you filled w/ 85 people from 4 generations of Connors', grilling fresh caught salmon and drinking 5-liter kegs of Bell's Oberon. Such fun, a beautiful spot.

1happygirl
09-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Very Awesome and cool photos. Thanks for posting. I will not be able to go anywhere for some time and this was great to see. Thanks again.