PDA

View Full Version : riding in Greensboro, NC

JonB
09-25-2011, 06:27 PM
looks like I'm going to be in Greensboro later this week. I'm driving from Florida so I can bring either my road bike or mountain bike with me. Anyone have suggestions for riding options?

Pete Serotta
09-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Go online Cycle De Oro. (Dale Brown). In Greensboro. Call them and there should be some Q sheets.

FlashUNC
09-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Go online Cycle De Oro. (Dale Brown). In Greensboro. Call them and there should be some Q sheets.

de Oro is the best source you can go to.

emckee1
09-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Many convenient and interconnected mt bike trails within Greensboro - Owls Roost, etc. Road biking not so good until you get outside of town. As said by others, Cycles d'Oro can hook you up.

witcombusa
09-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Dale will hook you up for sure. Be sure to stop by his shop and look at the amazing displays hanging on the walls :cool:

Whatever you do, get out of the city! This is not one of the most cycling friendly areas you will find. There are some roads out from the city that are more tolerable, I guess it all depends on what you are used too :crap:

kramnnim
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
There's a Google group for group rides here- http://groups.google.com/group/triadcycling

I think the MTB info is at...biketriad.com?

m.skeen
09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
^To your point the roads have become a little more dangerous in recent years but getting out of the city is not too bad.

To the OP, definitely check out De Oro, on the web for Q sheets and trail info and in person for the eye candy. Check the weather, but I'd bring your MTB and ride the trails, Wild Turkey is fun.

Ian
09-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Cue sheets for area road rides: http://greensborovelo.com/cue_sheets.htm. The roads south of town tend to have less traffic, and better-behaved drivers.

Trail info: http://greensborofattire.org/?page_id=206

Check the Google Group @kramnnim mentioned (I'm the group manager) if you're looking for a group ride, or PM me if you have questions.

R2D2
09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Also Dale and the shop etc is a gold mine of knowledge and history.
Dale has a great collection of older bikes hanging on the wall (The ROBERTS TT bike is mine some day I hope).
Anyway I've been a freind of Dale since 1970 and although he doesn't ride anymore he's a great guy and his shop will hook you up with whatever.

Len J
09-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Also Dale and the shop etc is a gold mine of knowledge and history.
Dale has a great collection of older bikes hanging on the wall (The ROBERTS TT bike is mine some day I hope).
Anyway I've been a freind of Dale since 1970 and although he doesn't ride anymore he's a great guy and his shop will hook you up with whatever.

The organized rides from Cycle D'oro have always worked for me when I return to Greensboro when my wife visits her family.

On a seperate note, I always looked forward to a side trip to their store........however, the last time I was in there (a month or so ago) I was extremely disappointed at their floor stock. Seemed like if I didn't want specialized, there wasn't much to look at. They seem to have converted to a bike doctor francise. Very disappointing IMO.

I ended up walking around the store once and leaving in a couple of minutes. Historicially, I'd have spend 30 minutes in there and bought something. When/why did they change from a shop that catered to both high end buyers and the general public, to just catering to tchase volume?

Len