PDA

View Full Version : Midgets on Clown Bikes (a.k.a. small 29ers)

rice rocket
09-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Anyone small like me (5'5, 5'6 on a good day) shopped for a 29er?

I think I'm pretty set on owning a clown bike, the question now is which one. Think it'll probably end up singlespeed, sliding dropouts preferred since most the modern ones move the caliper mounts with the dropout.

I'm going off the shelf for now. I've ridden stuff from Scott, Focus, and Trek. I also have some Niner, Jamis, and Specialized dealers in the area that I have yet to visit. Cannondale doesn't believe in small 29ers, so screw them! I think I liked the Scott Scale the best geometry-wise. 69.5 deg HTA, but I'm not sure what fork rake. I'd say it "feels like" something mid 40's? The Trek G2 stuff feels like a bulldozer. Granted I've only ridden these on the road, but it feels like it steers from the rear tire, especially on the downhill. 69.3 HTA, 51mm fork rake. The Focus Black Forest has a 72 deg HTA with a 44mm fork. Definitely twitchier than the Scale.

Right now, I think my "best" way to get into singlespeeding would be to get a Trek Marlin ($579 locally), get a non-G2 fork, get some hydro brakes, and maybe some decent tires. The Marlin uses the same frame as the Gary Fisher Rig, so I won't be really "losing" anything there, and if I'm replacing the major components, why spend extra, right? That said, there's more to the G2 geometry than just low trail w/ slack HTAs and high fork rakes...they also shorten the TT and use longer stems, which I'm not sure I buy into.

I want something nimble (hence the dislike for the G2 geometry), but don't want to sacrifice stability for it. Interestingly, the Felt Niners have a 72 HTA with a 39mm rake! I have yet to ride it, but the numbers say I'll have some pretty bad toe overlap.

Wilkinson4
09-25-2011, 06:55 PM
I tried a Salsa Mamasita while ago and just didn't like how big the front wheel felt to me on tight switchbacks.

For my area, at 5'-6.5" a 26er is better. Some of it depends on where and how you ride.

Got a Wolfhound SS with your name in it if you decide against a 29er:D

mIKE

bobswire
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Check out Surly Karate Monkey in 16" Like this one. You can go single speed or geared and the design leaves it workable for folks 5'5" or so.
http://thebikesofbackalley.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/gedc1711.jpg

Jack Brunk
09-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I think you'll find a good selection of 29er hardtails compared to FS. I know a buch of riders at your height or less that ride 29ers very well and will not go back to baby wheels(being funny).

d_man16
09-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Just a thought.........a 650b might fit a little better and the handling is superb.

I know that Jamis has a steel (dragon) and an alloy(nemesis) geared versions

KHS has a carbon frame for 2012

Soma makes the B-side with sliding dropouts

also there's a pretty active thread onmtbr 650 thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new-wheel-trends/) with good info

~D

Lifelover
09-25-2011, 09:52 PM
......Cannondale doesn't believe in small 29ers,....

I would give serious consideration to this statement. Cdale has almost always gotten in right in regards to ride quality.

weaponsgrade
09-26-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm 5'6" and ride a 650b. I think it's a perfect wheel size for my height and the trails I ride. I was thinking about a 29er, took out a monster style cross bike on the single track, and it felt like I was steering a truck around the switchbacks. I think a lot comes down to the terrain. If the stuff I rode was more fire road and straighter trails I could see myself going 29er.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm 5'6" and ride a 650b. I think it's a perfect wheel size for my height and the trails I ride. I was thinking about a 29er, took out a monster style cross bike on the single track, and it felt like I was steering a truck around the switchbacks. I think a lot comes down to the terrain. If the stuff I rode was more fire road and straighter trails I could see myself going 29er.

I know almost nothing about MTB, can't even spell it but the gent that works for me uses the shop Moots 29er YBB and has a Moots Cinco. When he goes to Moab, he takes the 26 inch wheeled bike, not the 29er. I think it comes down to terrain absolutely.

rugbysecondrow
09-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Check out Surly Karate Monkey in 16" Like this one. You can go single speed or geared and the design leaves it workable for folks 5'5" or so.
http://thebikesofbackalley.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/gedc1711.jpg

I have seen some smaller people and women with the Redline Monocog, so I would look there. An inexpensive and fun SS.

I would not recommend a Karate Monkey. I bought one and really wanted to like it, but I thought it was a horrible bike. It seems to do nothing well, but everything poorly. I rode it for a few weeks and promptly got rid of it.

Surly gets it right often times, not there though.

Grant McLean
09-26-2011, 08:26 AM

are you looking at rigid fork, or suspended?

As others have mentioned, terrain seems to be the factor that dictates wheel size
as much as personal preferences. The issue I have with fitting smaller riders
is the high handlebar height that can be the result of mega-long suspension
forks for many 29'r bikes. Some rigid stock 29'r bikes are still using a fork
length equal to a 100mm travel fork, others do not. Something to consider.

-g

bobswire
09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
I have seen some smaller people and women with the Redline Monocog, so I would look there. An inexpensive and fun SS.

I would not recommend a Karate Monkey. I bought one and really wanted to like it, but I thought it was a horrible bike. It seems to do nothing well, but everything poorly. I rode it for a few weeks and promptly got rid of it.

Surly gets it right often times, not there though.

Sorry but I have to call you out on that.
I asked about getting a Karate monkey awhile back and you stated the same thing to me but another friend who rides one competitively suggested just the opposite as you.
Here's what he said ," The KM could better handle the tight New England singletrack I typically ride.
I weigh 135 pounds so it's hard to understand how larger guys feel the KM is harsh or clunky unless they use a completely different spec on the tubeset.
I've had the most success on the KM of all the frames I've raced.
His website is here > http://charlieridesabike.blogspot.com/

BTW I ended up getting the Karate Monkey and couldn't be happier, I'm 5'9" weigh 150 on a good day and this bike is lively, agile and handles anything I can throw at it better than any mountain bike I've owned.
Fully dressed 25lbs as shown here > http://oi56.tinypic.com/242d3xw.jpg

Grant McLean
09-26-2011, 08:47 AM
...this bike is lively, agile and handles anything I can throw at it better than any mountain bike I've owned.

ah yes, the magic caveat - what else have u owned?

-g

dcpdpayne
09-26-2011, 08:51 AM
I'd tend to agree with the idea of 650b for smaller riders. It seems to be the perfect balance of the roll over capability of the larger wheel with the tight handling of a 26" wheel. There is also the issue of toe over lap that comes with a larger wheel on a smaller frame. A custom builder that I'm acquainted with has always said that he won't put anyone not approaching 6 feet on a 29 due to toe overlap.

bobswire
09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
ah yes, the magic caveat - what else have u owned?

-g

Not much in the way of mountain bikes but no magic caveat, statement of fact.
I was refuting rugbysecondrow description that a KM was "a horrible bike. It seems to do nothing well, but everything poorly." I found the KM to be totally opposite as him.

aLexis
09-26-2011, 09:52 AM

I think I'm pretty set on owning a clown bike, the question now is which one. Think it'll probably end up singlespeed, sliding dropouts preferred since most the modern ones move the caliper mounts with the dropout.

I'm going off the shelf for now. I've ridden stuff from Scott, Focus, and Trek. I also have some Niner, Jamis, and Specialized dealers in the area that I have yet to visit. Cannondale doesn't believe in small 29ers, so screw them! I think I liked the Scott Scale the best geometry-wise. 69.5 deg HTA, but I'm not sure what fork rake. I'd say it "feels like" something mid 40's? The Trek G2 stuff feels like a bulldozer. Granted I've only ridden these on the road, but it feels like it steers from the rear tire, especially on the downhill. 69.3 HTA, 51mm fork rake. The Focus Black Forest has a 72 deg HTA with a 44mm fork. Definitely twitchier than the Scale.

Right now, I think my "best" way to get into singlespeeding would be to get a Trek Marlin ($579 locally), get a non-G2 fork, get some hydro brakes, and maybe some decent tires. The Marlin uses the same frame as the Gary Fisher Rig, so I won't be really "losing" anything there, and if I'm replacing the major components, why spend extra, right? That said, there's more to the G2 geometry than just low trail w/ slack HTAs and high fork rakes...they also shorten the TT and use longer stems, which I'm not sure I buy into.

I want something nimble (hence the dislike for the G2 geometry), but don't want to sacrifice stability for it. Interestingly, the Felt Niners have a 72 HTA with a 39mm rake! I have yet to ride it, but the numbers say I'll have some pretty bad toe overlap.

Look at Specialized. They may have been late to the 29er scene, but they really nailed the geometry on their smaller 29ers. I am barely 5'5" and have a Small carbon Epic Expert 29er, and it is the best handling bike I have ridden* (29 or 26). The hard tail Stumpjumper 29 geometry is a little bit different, but I would see if any of your local dealers has a 15" you can try out.

*per Grant's caveat - this is compared to a Superfly 29 100, Superfly 29 Hardtail, a bunch of 26" FS and HT bikes, Niner Air 9 and Rip 9.

bobswire
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Look at Specialized. They may have been late to the 29er scene, but they really nailed the geometry on their smaller 29ers. I am barely 5'5" and have a Small carbon Epic Expert 29er, and it is the best handling bike I have ridden* (29 or 26). The hard tail Stumpjumper 29 geometry is a little bit different, but I would see if any of your local dealers has a 15" you can try out.

*per Grant's caveat - this is compared to a Superfly 29 100, Superfly 29 Hardtail, a bunch of 26" FS and HT bikes, Niner Air 9 and Rip 9.

:beer:

rugbysecondrow
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Your are not really calling me out, just disagreeing with an opinion I stated. That is fine with me, I am not vested either way, just trying to help a bro out.

All I can do it voice my opinion about a bike I found clunky as ???? and horrible suited for MTBing, or pretty much anything. For the money, there are much better options. If it were cheap, maybe, but it is not cheap. One should pursue those options as this is a crappy bike.

I asked about getting a Karate monkey awhile back and you stated the same thing to me but another friend who rides one competitively suggested just the opposite as you.
Here's what he said ," The KM could better handle the tight New England singletrack I typically ride.
I weigh 135 pounds so it's hard to understand how larger guys feel the KM is harsh or clunky unless they use a completely different spec on the tubeset.

BTW I ended up getting the Karate Monkey and couldn't be happier, I'm 5'9" weigh 150 on a good day and this bike is lively, agile and handles anything I can throw at it better than any mountain bike I've owned.

DogpawSlim
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM

I had nearly the exact same experience with a KM. Though mine was an XL, and I heard that the XL's tubing is different (stiffer?). Great bike in theory, but didn't translate for me.

rugbysecondrow
09-26-2011, 10:50 AM
I had nearly the exact same experience with a KM. Though mine was an XL, and I heard that the XL's tubing is different (stiffer?). Great bike in theory, but didn't translate for me.

Mine was an XL also, maybe the tubing makes a difference. I really wanted to like it, it just didn't happen.

bobswire
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Your are not really calling me out, just disagreeing with an opinion I stated. That is fine with me, I am not vested either way, just trying to help a bro out.

True, badly worded on my part. I disagree with your biking assessment.
BTW you been watching the Rugby Championships on Universal ? I'd be interested in your opinion on that subject.

HenryA
09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Look hard at 650Bs. I think they are THE big wheel bike for smaller riders.

rice rocket
12-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Sooo, long story short, I got the Trek Marlin single speed. The G2 stuff didn't feel that horrible in their 2012 models, apparently the 2011 I rode had very wide bars with a huge amount of bar sweep, making it feel like a beach cruiser.

It's been fun so far, but this front fork is literally a pogo stick. Zero damping, compression or rebound. It also weighs eleventy billion pounds. Pretty disappointing. I was initially going to upgrade the boatanchor wheels and tires first (and knock 5 lbs off the bike), but I feel this fork is holding me back more.

I think I'd like to keep the G2 51mm fork offset, but I don't have enough experience say that I wouldn't like a standard offset more. Intuition tells me that I should keep it, since I have trouble keeping the wheel straight over roots and rocks as it sits. Although, that could also be the poor damping as well. Opinions?

Seott-e
12-05-2011, 05:54 AM
29er's have come a long way, you can have a 20 LB bike (with pedals) so you know the wheel weight has come down.
I don't see the need for 650, smaller riders can fit the bigger wheels these days just fine.

Fixed
12-05-2011, 07:27 AM
great fun on my single speed 29er
very stable simple bike has a fixed gear feel to it

i have 26 too it is more agile but not as conferrable or well you know if you have ridden one
cheers good luck

avalonracing
12-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Eff 29'ers. I won't be surprised if within the next 5 years everyone will be singing the praises of 24" wheeled MTBs... if the bike companies start to push them, that is.

6'0" here and happy on my 26'ers.

LONG LIVE 26"!

Matt-H
12-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Eff 29'ers. I won't be surprised if within the next 5 years everyone will be singing the praises of 24" wheeled MTBs... if the bike companies start to push them, that is.

LONG LIVE 26"!

Have you ridden a 29er? Maybe it's not all marketing hype.

I just rode Gooseberry Mesa in Utah on a very average GF Rumblefish, a FS 29er. I wanted a 26 but the rental was unavailable. At 5'7" I was very impressed how nimble it was. Slow speed cornering and steep drops/ledges on slickrock was great. Wide open, high speed bombing over loose rocks and sand mixed in with some tech was equally fun. No issues. Better than a 26? I don't know or really care. Left there exhausted with a very big smile.

A friend designs frames built by Bilenky. The hardtail 29er is all I want for east coast rocks and roots. Some prefer his 26, but not me.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Have you ridden a 29er? Maybe it's not all marketing hype.

I just rode Gooseberry Mesa in Utah on a very average GF Rumblefish, a FS 29er. I wanted a 26 but the rental was unavailable. At 5'7" I was very impressed how nimble it was. Slow speed cornering and steep drops/ledges on slickrock was great. Wide open, high speed bombing over loose rocks and sand mixed in with some tech was equally fun. No issues. Better than a 26? I don't know or really care. Left there exhausted with a very big smile.

A friend designs frames built by Bilenky. The hardtail 29er is all I want for east coast rocks and roots. Some prefer his 26, but not me.

http://www.soulcraftbikes.com

http://www.ritcheylogic.com

http://www.gunnarbikes.com

all have nice steel 29er hardtails for not a lot of $.

Matt-H
12-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Yup, Peter. All very sweet steel 29ers. The Rockhound, way before the 29 craze, has always been on my wish list.

rugbysecondrow
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.soulcraftbikes.com

http://www.ritcheylogic.com

http://www.gunnarbikes.com

all have nice steel 29er hardtails for not a lot of $.

How is the ritchey 29er? I haven't seen much on those.

Thanks,

Paul

the bottle ride
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM

LONG LIVE 26"!

No one will ever say that about a 24 inch wheel...Ridden them when there was an interest in the DH world and there is a reason you do not see 24 on the trail.

It just does not work very well.

the bottle ride
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Charlie is a fast man, and I respect him and his opinion, but the KM rides poopy- like the Surly Pacer: Not good. Not a good 29er.http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4031/4551800248_b665955d23_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67486719@N00/4551800248/)

I would only tell someone to buy it if they looking for a work horse commuter bike. Heavy, ugly and rides like the tubes were solid.

Fixed
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
i like my monocog
but it might not be
right for everybody
cheers imho