PDA

View Full Version : Cross Geo

tuscanyswe
09-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Ive been looking at some cross bikes lately and many seem to have such short headtubes.

The psychlo-x in size 56.5 with a 57.6 TT only has a 14.5 ht.
The bb drop is 1cm shorter than on a roadie but the fork is approx 2cm longer. So totally i can ad 1cm to the actuall ht lenght on the cross to make a good comparison. This still leaves the cross with a 15.5 ht vs the compact that has a 17.6 ht i believe. Thats 2 cm shorter ht on a bike with just 0.4cm shorter toptube.

Im thinking im gonna need a 58cross or a pretty large spacer stack. I dont really like either options that much :/

happycampyer
09-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Iirc, there's a 1cm difference between the equivalent sizes (58 Compact vs. 56 Psychlo-X; .5cm vs. the RSL). The hth on the 58 Compact is 16.5cm. My understanding is that the 1cm difference is so someone who has no spacers on the Compact would get to close to the same position with a 1cm brake cable hanger. Of course, if you are having one built, you can have the ht extended without any additional cost.

tuscanyswe
09-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Iirc, there's a 1cm difference between the equivalent sizes (58 Compact vs. 56 Psychlo-X; .5cm vs. the RSL). The hth on the 58 Compact is 16.5cm. My understanding is that the 1cm difference is so someone who has no spacers on the Compact would get to close to the same position with a 1cm brake cable hanger. Of course, if you are having one built, you can have the ht extended without any additional cost.

I get a 2cm difference but thats against the older compact 59 not the current cr 58.

Thanks for that info. I thought perhaps ext ht would be charged as custom. Good info as usuall.

Cheers
B

oliver1850
09-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Are you looking at Ti only?

Just as an example, the carbon 56 cm Ridley X-Fire has a 56 virtual TT and the HT length is 185.

tuscanyswe
09-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Are you looking at Ti only?

Just as an example, the carbon 56 cm Ridley X-Fire has a 56 virtual TT and the HT length is 185.

Yeah my heart have spoken. It wants a psychlo x. But most likely with a ht extension if its possible without a long wait in Europe. That ht might even be too long, kinda blows my theory out of the water :)

oliver1850
09-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I didn't find too many that were exceptions to your theory, at least at the upper end of the market. Ritchey makes a Ti CX frame, but it has a short HT as well.

tuscanyswe
09-25-2011, 06:17 PM
No, thats has been my conclusion aswell whenever ive been looking for one.
I guess part of it is the reason Happycampyer gave. You still need to ad that cable stop (1cm) and the fact many run their sadle on a cross bike slightly lower than on their roadbike.

For me (and many others i suspect) however who will use the cross as a roadbike for winter with a few exceptions it becomes an issue.