PDA

View Full Version : Netflix?

stephenmarklay
09-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I was just reading that they are now enforcing the rule that you can stream only one move at a time. In the past on many many occasions I would be cycling away in the garage streaming and the kids in the house.

So now after a rate hike, splitting the company and this change ( which took effect Sept 1) Netflix may be out of my home period.

I am amazed really. We bought multiple wifi capable machines that we won't be used. My new TV has an Amazon deal that I can use for the kids stuff.

How bad can one person mess a company up so fast. Netflix is writing that history books on that I guess.

eddief
09-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Netflix = Amazon = they don't need you.

cancel your subscription, buy their stock.

I was just reading that they are now enforcing the rule that you can stream only one move at a time. In the past on many many occasions I would be cycling away in the garage streaming and the kids in the house.

So now after a rate hike, splitting the company and this change ( which took effect Sept 1) Netflix may be out of my home period.

I am amazed really. We bought multiple wifi capable machines that we won't be used. My new TV has an Amazon deal that I can use for the kids stuff.

How bad can one person mess a company up so fast. Netflix is writing that history books on that I guess.

bike22
09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=93469

JeffS
09-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Netflix = Amazon = they don't need you.

cancel your subscription, buy their stock.

Let it bottom out first. You never know, the CEO might send another email for another 25% price drop.

But yes, I think the stock will eventually be back on the rise.

rice rocket
09-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Let it bottom out first. You never know, the CEO might send another email for another 25% price drop.

What more can they do to shoot themselves in the foot short of insulting everyones' mother? I guess they could lose more content...

stephenmarklay
09-25-2011, 03:10 AM
I was actually going to buy a little stock. I would certainly not be surprised to see the CEO replaced and a subsequent price bump but I think in the long run they are hosed.

If you open the door, that wide, some one will come in and steal your customer base. Any number of companies could pounce on this opportunity. If I were a competitor I would be all over it.

slowandsteady
09-25-2011, 05:36 AM
If you open the door, that wide, some one will come in and steal your customer base. Any number of companies could pounce on this opportunity. If I were a competitor I would be all over it.

Who are their competitors?

stephenmarklay
09-25-2011, 06:40 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/23/us-netflix-blockbuster-idUSTRE78L5VT20110923

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/technology/27netflix.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/07/26/wal-mart-takes-on-netflix-offers-video-streaming/

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/co?s=NFLX+Competitors

Any number of companies could step up within a year and do serious damage to netflix and that is who is out there today.

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2011, 06:50 AM
NF better get their act together real quick, because there's going to be incoming from all angles when profits the size of theirs are suddenly up for grabs.

I'm sitting on the sidelines of this, since I don't have them and hardly ever watch TV anyway. But it's fascinating in a watching-a-train-wreck sort of way to see just how badly they continue to screw up as their CEO tries to spin this positively without actually admitting "Hey, I (we) screwed up!" . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Hungry, innovative folks create something great, new (greedy) blood takes the helm and ruins it. Seen it done a million times.

Mattbotak
09-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm not having this limitation, if I do I'm out. Found this on Huffington Post, bottom line Netflix denies this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/07/netflix-streaming-limit_n_951880.html

stephenmarklay
09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Once my modem was causing me fits and it somehow did not shut off the connection to Netflix when it crashed and it "appeared" that I had several netflix movies running at one time.

This was about 6 months ago but the rep explained to me at that time about this non enforcement but that is was in my contract.

I'm not having this limitation, if I do I'm out. Found this on Huffington Post, bottom line Netflix denies this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/07/netflix-streaming-limit_n_951880.html

William
09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Eight Netflix alternatives compared.......

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/21/tech/web/apple-vudu-netflix-alternatives-wired/index.html

William

1happygirl
09-25-2011, 09:45 PM
thanks for the link.

i guess they are starting to pay for some movies now as previously unavailable movies (eg Goldfinger, most of the Bond movies) were on the streaming the other night I watched. They disappeared some time ago and were previously not available.

Netflix got greedy and they will be sorry.

sc53
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
NF better get their act together real quick, because there's going to be incoming from all angles when profits the size of theirs are suddenly up for grabs.

I'm sitting on the sidelines of this, since I don't have them and hardly ever watch TV anyway. But it's fascinating in a watching-a-train-wreck sort of way to see just how badly they continue to screw up as their CEO tries to spin this positively without actually admitting "Hey, I (we) screwed up!" . . . :rolleyes:

BBD
No, actually he did say this in that "apology" email of last week.

rice rocket
09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.dailytech.com/Netflix+Strikes+a+Deal+with+DreamWorks+for+2013/article22840.htm

$30M per movie, yikes.

EDS
09-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I still think the price hike and company split today are to pay for expanded streaming media tomorrow. The DVD business will die once they have enough streaming content available. So whether Netflix survives is based on whether (a) they get access to the streaming content and (b) whether people want to pay a flat monthly fee for that content or go a la carte (which is available through numerous other providers).

GuyGadois
09-27-2011, 12:46 AM
The subscription model never worked for us. About 4 years ago we got Vudu and have never looked back. We pay as we go and it works great. The quality of vudu is second to none with Blue Ray quality movies and I we are able to buy and watch right away.

GG

rdparadise
09-27-2011, 01:46 AM
The hardest part of this whole gig is obtaining the rights to the content. This is much easier said then done. Netflix has to wait while cable gets first dibs on A rated movies. Once cables had their run, Netflix will carry it. Movies that go straight to DVD or other avenues can show up on Netflix quick.

Netflix has spent years working with the various studios to negotiate content. I don't believe their competitors have the breath and depth of content that Netflix offers. After a short while, this hiccup will be behind them and they will make necessary adjustments to recover their subscribers lost.

Stay tuned. This story has not been totally written yet.

Bob

rice rocket
09-27-2011, 02:01 AM
I just recently discovered Amazon Prime streaming. It was only $39 for the whole year, plus free two day shipping on everything. Amazon has me hooked like a drug addict.

stephenmarklay
09-27-2011, 06:59 AM
I have been using it for about 4 years. I think I paid $75 the first time and I bet they are charging me that still. I will have to check on that. Well worth it.

I just recently discovered Amazon Prime streaming. It was only $39 for the whole year, plus free two day shipping on everything. Amazon has me hooked like a drug addict.

stephenmarklay
09-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Amazon Penned a deal with Fox TV.

They are making a push and the timing is no surprise at all.

rice rocket
09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Hmm, what's on Fox...?

I think most of what I watch is on CBS.

ultraman6970
09-27-2011, 07:08 PM
How many subscribers they have anyways??? 50 million?? 10??

rice rocket
09-27-2011, 07:17 PM
http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/09/amazon-kindle-table-prime-ipad.html

5 million is quoted here.

stephenmarklay
09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Amazon has a long way to come for sure. But they have the capital to do it and they appear to want the business.

If they don't buy them I bet they will steel a lot of the business.

In this technology age it doesn't take very long to lose your foothold.

roguedog
10-04-2011, 11:07 PM
sorry to bump this thread back up to the top but thought you all would enjoy this vid :)

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/SNLs-Netflix-Spoof-Didnt-Air-Too-Bad-130989708.html

AngryScientist
10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
oh netflix, how many apologies are you going to send me??

Dear nick,

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs. This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster. While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes. We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS. We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows. Respectfully, The Netflix Team

bobswire
10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
What is with all the hub bub ? I was paying close to $100 a month for DirTV and for what?203 vanilla channels I never watched. Now I pay $7.99 a month to pick and choose what I want by streaming NetFlix,You Tube and many other channels through Roku. BTW If you have ROKU look up and subscribe to "No Where TV", interesting eclectic programing plus all the major news programing.
I look at it this way, I'd rather pay $7.99 than $100 a month anyday and if I couldn't survive without getting DVDs delivered then I'd pay another $7.99 for the privledge. Still beats the pants off of cable/satellite.
How many of you still subscribe to cable or satellite paying their exuberant fees ?

William
10-10-2011, 10:51 AM
How many of you still subscribe to cable or satellite paying their exuberant fees ?

Axed cable (FIOS) months ago and don't miss it one bit. We got tired of the ridiculous price for a hundred + channels of nothing and more commercials then actual viewing content. Good riddance.

William

norcalbiker
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
How many subscribers they have anyways??? 50 million?? 10??

Dump them last month. No regrets either. :beer:

I just realized that I don't use them that much. :crap:

stephenmarklay
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I am amazed with the level of success netflix achieved with such and inept management team :confused: