PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Garmin 500 Question

tlarwa
09-24-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a Garmin 500 on my main ride, using the cadence/speed sensor that is mounted on my chainstay. I'm building up a winter bike, and want to use the computer on it as well. Do I need another cadence/speed sensor, or will it work just using the satellite function with a stem mount? I don't really care about cadence on my 2nd bike, although speed would probably be nice. What are my options? I need to figure our what mount/sensors I need to buy.

Tom

patrick8037
09-24-2011, 09:25 PM
You can use it on a second bike without the cadence sensor. I switch mine between 4 bikes, only 2 of which have sensors.

You can also create separate bike profiles that you can switch between with different bikes. So you can set which bike profiles have a sensor, and which ones don't. If you don't, there's always the risk if your Garmin picking up someone else's heart rate monitor or cadence sensor.

tlarwa
09-24-2011, 09:37 PM
So all I need is the stem mount, then? And it'll display speed as well as map my route? What's the benefit or difference between using the sensor to register speed or letting the GPS function do it? Is it just so distance is tracked on the trainer, primarily?

patrick8037
09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Exactamundo.

You don't even need the stem mount. Sometimes on my commute, I like to stuff the Garmin in my back pocket so I'm not distracted by numbers and just enjoy the ride.

tlarwa
09-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info ... just saved myself $60 by not having to buy another sensor. Life is good... :beer:

kramnnim
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
There are sensors for $22 shipped on eBay...no magnets, though. Might not be an issue if you're like me and have half a dozen other magnets kicking around...

...I can't figure out how to add a bike profile to mine.

Edit: Oh, here's how.

dekindy
09-25-2011, 08:35 AM
So all I need is the stem mount, then? And it'll display speed as well as map my route? What's the benefit or difference between using the sensor to register speed or letting the GPS function do it? Is it just so distance is tracked on the trainer, primarily?

The speed sensor is secondary to the GPS and is only used when there is a weak or zero satellite signal; at least that is the case for the 305 so the 500 should be the same.

Definitely turn the GPS off, but leave the sensor on, when using on the trainer so you will not have to charge it up as often since it will be looking for a GPS signal unless you that function off. The unit will still display cadence since the sensor has not been deactivated.