PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 705 question

Jason E
09-24-2011, 04:22 PM
My Garmin works fine on my Atlanta when it comes to cadence and speed. On my Ottrott it detects the Cadence sensor, but then cadence does not work during the ride.

While typing this, it occurred to me that the Ottrott does not have a magnet sensor on the wheel, so the speed is not reading... Maybe that is it, but shouldn't the cadence still work?

I have a feeling I answered my own question, but let me know if you've had any issues with cadence please.

JE

NRRider
09-24-2011, 05:40 PM
My Garmin works fine on my Atlanta when it comes to cadence and speed. On my Ottrott it detects the Cadence sensor, but then cadence does not work during the ride.

While typing this, it occurred to me that the Ottrott does not have a magnet sensor on the wheel, so the speed is not reading... Maybe that is it, but shouldn't the cadence still work?

I have a feeling I answered my own question, but let me know if you've had any issues with cadence please.

JE
1. It should not need a magnet to provide speed data, as it uses the GPS. Not sure which one it relies on first if the other isn't available, but it definitely should not need the magnet, assuming you don't have the GPS disabled.

2. Cadence (and the wheel magnet, if not using GPS for speed) requires that you pair the sensor with the main unit. Go to Menu>Settings>Ant+Sport>Accessories and for Cadence hit Restart Scan.

Should work. Otherwise you may want to change the battery in the sensor and try again. (I assume you have a magnet on the crank.)

Lewym
09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Also, once you have it paired, I have found that it doesn't automatically switch bike-to-bike. You have to select the bike (hold the Mode button down a few seconds until the "Select Bike" window pops up). Once you choose the correct bike, if it has been previously paired, it will find it right away. Spin the rear wheel (assuming you now have a magnet) and you'll see it find the sensor and pick up wheel speed.

Re Cadence - it goes without saying that you need a magnet on the crank. I assume that you've installed that and it is a pairing issue.

Re wheel speed - I think that if you have the bike paired and the wheel/cadence sensor detected, it uses wheel speed as the default.

Jason E
09-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I have the crank magnet, thanks.

So swapping heads between a few bikes it will need to sync up each time and I will need to create a profile for each bike. Got it. Will try it.

Thanks!

djg21
09-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I have the crank magnet, thanks.

So swapping heads between a few bikes it will need to sync up each time and I will need to create a profile for each bike. Got it. Will try it.

Thanks!

Follow the instructions in the manual for setting up the cadence sensor. With both a crank and wheel magnet, the indicator light on the sensor should flash both red and green. I had issues once, and found that my magnet had migrated about 1/2" toward the BB, and no longer was detected by the sensor. Also, check the battery in the sensor.