PDA

View Full Version : Tommasini revisited

axel23
09-24-2011, 10:45 AM
After several months of regular riding, I thought I'd report back on my 20+ year old Tommasini Competizione. Attached is a photo with full DA 7700 and period correct equipment.

While I like the original look, I have to say that riding it with a newer saddle and Topolino wheels resulted in a much, much more comfortable bike.

In any case, a fun project and lots of enjoyable miles.

Ahneida Ride
09-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Sweeta ! :beer:

FlashUNC
09-24-2011, 11:31 AM
That's a total retro boner.

alancw3
09-24-2011, 03:58 PM
yeah that is really nice!!!

slowandsteady
09-25-2011, 05:42 AM

Yeah, what he said!! Oh, and it's beautiful too :)

thinpin
09-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Total would mean period DT shifters etc - but hey, a really fine machine none the less. ;)

oldpotatoe
09-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Total would mean period DT shifters etc - but hey, a really fine machine none the less. ;)

And 7700 came out in 1997 but beautiful. It would look great with 1991 C-Record/Delta gruppo.

FlashUNC
09-25-2011, 09:07 AM

I make an exception for that era Ultegra/Dura Ace, as I think those are two of the best groups ever made. Really the peak of Shimano's prowess IMO.

axel23
09-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Love this forum! Yes, the DA 7700 is almost a decade newer than the original 7400. But, hey, the weight difference, ease of shifting, gear selection were all too limiting. Now I'm waiting for someone to point out the Campy Record pedals. Those will come off after I find a pair of SPD compatible shoes to fit the DA 7400s (wonderful pedals, those). They will add to the bar and stem and headset as the only original equipment.

Total restoration is totally cool, but the ride difference with newer equipment is all-too apparent.

Btw, for you weight weenies, the bike originally came in at 21 lbs. With 7700, Topolinos, Fizik saddle, and Speedplay it's under 19 lbs.

witcombusa
09-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Love this forum! Yes, the DA 7700 is almost a decade newer than the original 7400. But, hey, the weight difference, ease of shifting, gear selection were all too limiting. Now I'm waiting for someone to point out the Campy Record pedals. Those will come off after I find a pair of SPD compatible shoes to fit the DA 7400s (wonderful pedals, those). They will add to the bar and stem and headset as the only original equipment.

Total restoration is totally cool, but the ride difference with newer equipment is all-too apparent.

Btw, for you weight weenies, the bike originally came in at 21 lbs. With 7700, Topolinos, Fizik saddle, and Speedplay it's under 19 lbs.

7400 is great stuff. Ease of shifting, gear selection? How have you improved on them? The brifters are WAY heavier than the DT shifters were.

I personally hate to see a nice older bike bastardized with more modern kit, especially when it was all part of the original build. I think more was lost than gained.

Can you at least post a pic of the way she was?

axel23
09-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Gladly done. Here's the original bike.
To your question of gearing, seven speed vs. nine means a wider range, n'est-ce pas? Shifting from the brake levers instead of reaching down may bring a weight penalty, but we crossed that bridge a long time ago.

And how often was the "original build" really original? Tommasini frames came to Bill Lewis w/o any kit at all. Some customers chose DA, others Campy. Still others hybridized from the get-go. If I had relaced the hubs from the sew-ups to clinchers would I have violated the golden rule?

No worries. The "original" equipment is still there to be had. If I decide to hang it on the wall and admire the way bikes used to be, the door's not closed. BUT, when I see a classic turned into a fixie, it makes me crazy. We all have our limits.

witcombusa
09-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Gladly done. Here's the original bike.
To your question of gearing, seven speed vs. nine means a wider range, n'est-ce pas? Shifting from the brake levers instead of reaching down may bring a weight penalty, but we crossed that bridge a long time ago.

And how often was the "original build" really original? Tommasini frames came to Bill Lewis w/o any kit at all. Some customers chose DA, others Campy. Still others hybridized from the get-go. If I had relaced the hubs from the sew-ups to clinchers would I have violated the golden rule?

No worries. The "original" equipment is still there to be had. If I decide to hang it on the wall and admire the way bikes used to be, the door's not closed. BUT, when I see a classic turned into a fixie, it makes me crazy. We all have our limits.

I doesn't mean wider range, it may mean closer ratios IF you choose the same spread, which I don't personally care about. As for "crossing that bridge", I haven't and won't. Yes I did try them, not for me.

When I said original build, I had assumed you built this from a frameset originally with kit available at the time. That's "original build".

Thanks for the original kit pic :beer:

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Throw a skinwall on the rear, just completes the classic look. 'Sini's are sweet.Gladly done. Here's the original bike.

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2011, 04:08 PM
. . . a sweet looking bike, and BTW, that's a very interesting lawn sculpture you have there! :rolleyes:

BBD

thinpin
09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
I have no problem mixing component/frame eras. Whatever it takes to keep a great ride on the road. My wife's Tommasini is a tecno from 2000 and runs 10s 2002 chorus/ record mix. Not period correct but looks good just the same. 8 or 9s in good condition is just too expensive.

tugrul
09-25-2011, 09:19 PM
+1 Need more close ups :D

cmg
09-25-2011, 10:01 PM
pretty bike in any configuration. killer in the latest. dig the ride.