PDA

View Full Version : So, there's this CSI in the classified forum ...

InspectorGadget
09-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Rebel Biker has his 25th Anniversary CSI (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=97006) listed in the Classified forum. It meets many of my requirements and the paint color reminds me of the first real road bike I ever bought when I was a kid. That's a plus.

What I don't know is whether $750 is a good deal or not.

gone
09-23-2011, 06:39 PM
If it's your size, at that price it's a steal.

Elefantino
09-23-2011, 06:40 PM
I think if you search the forum you'll find that it's not out of line for a top condition frame.

If you want it and it meets your needs, and if that price is in your ballpark, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Mike748
09-23-2011, 06:42 PM
No mention of condition and hard to tell from pix, but if clean no rust no dents then I think it's a good deal.

Jason E
09-23-2011, 06:47 PM
I have an Atlanta that I bought off the forum. It is blue but I had no preference. It is my size. I have never been happier. I paid a little less, but look what you are getting!

25th anniversary awesomeness in the color and size you want/like!

This is a steal, no doubt.

phcollard
09-23-2011, 06:52 PM
You know what? When I registered to the forums more than a year ago I was hoping to find a 55 CSi in good condition. I was crawling the classifieds everyday, several times a day, for MONTHS! Finally I posted a WTB and I ended up with a Colorado Ti - note that I am not complaining :D

So if this is your size, and you want a CSi - which you should as it is a great great ride - go for it before I find an sudden extra source of funds and buy it :beer:

rwsaunders
09-23-2011, 06:52 PM
If I recall, about 3-4 years ago, used CSI's were selling in the $400-500 range. They have only gone up in price.

It's a very simple question...if you're in the market for a steel frame, fork and headset of that caliber and condition, what else can you purchase for $750 that is of interest to you?

Ken Robb
09-23-2011, 07:07 PM
I can't think of any frame I'd rather have for that price.

Pete Serotta
09-23-2011, 07:09 PM
If it fits and is in good shape BUY it. price is fair for buyer and seller.

Pete

InspectorGadget
09-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Rebel Biker doesn't have a build sheet, but believes his frame is stock, not custom. It's too late to contact Serotta with the serial number until Monday; can anybody steer me toward where I might find specs for a stock CSi?

Yes, I have tried using the search function.

Mike748
09-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Serial number suggests it was a stock frame. Look at the 1996 & 1998 catalog in the catalog section, they have a size chart. The 97 doesn't but I'm sure they are the same.

Pete Serotta
09-23-2011, 07:21 PM
First 2 digits will say size. CTC top tube and CTC seat tube length is all you need. Other measurements are stock which is 73\73.5 ht and st angles and a 410/415 chain stay length.

Only one I focus on is Tt length on a level Tt for the size. If that is your size, it is fine.

Serotta no longer has specs by serial number for frames that far back and the original owner is only one that might have the build sheet (or the dealer they bought from). Pete

avalonracing
09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
And he wrote in the ad that he would take a return if it doesn't work out. I'd say nab it if it fits. Don't wait for some newcomer with 3 posts to scoop it up.

chuckroast
09-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Don't overthink it brother. In the very unlikely event you don't like the bike, it'll be easy to sell.

BigDaddySmooth
09-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Well,
Let me throw these out for you...a new steel of equal quality is over $2K from most builders nowadays and if it is in good condition it will likely last longer than you'll be riding; they're not making these so it has to fall into being called a classic. I guess it comes down to...it's worth what your willing to pay for it. FWIW, I paid more than that for a lightly used CSi just a few months ago. I have no regrets.

P.S. I have been looking for a CSi for more than 5 yrs and I don't recall them ever going for <$500.

kohagen
09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
If it were my size I'd have bought it. Lucky for you it isn't. Jump on it, or let it go and run the risk you'll wish you hadn't.

August
09-23-2011, 09:04 PM
I've seen the frame in person, and it's just as nice as you'd imagine--made me want one in my size.

93legendti
09-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Price a lugged Kirk or Bedford and then realize this is a bargain. I've bought CSi's cheaper-but they were tiny sizes and the paint wasn't in good condition.

Jack Brunk
09-23-2011, 10:25 PM
On it's way to me and I'm totally undecided on the build. Thinking a Campy retro build or a Sram Black 10 with Ergott built carbon wheels. I have the weekend to decide. I know the paint is really nice but I may wait and evaluate to decide if it should go back to serotta for a respray.

bike22
09-23-2011, 10:28 PM
snooze you lose.

InspectorGadget
09-23-2011, 10:29 PM
:crap: I should have pulled the trigger when I had the chance. :crap:

While I was dickin' around thinking about it, the CSI was purchased by somebody named Jack.

Jack Brunk
09-23-2011, 10:38 PM
:crap: I should have pulled the trigger when I had the chance. :crap:

While I was dickin' around thinking about it, the CSI was purchased by somebody named Jack.
Sorry man I didn't pay attention to the general topic section concerning the actual frame. If you want it worse than me them PM me and we'll make something happen.

InspectorGadget
09-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Sorry man I didn't pay attention to the general topic section concerning the actual frame. If you want it worse than me them PM me and we'll make something happen.
I don't think you have any responsibility to check another forum while buying a great frame in the Classified forum. I sincerely appreciate your most generous offer, thank you. I'll let you know if I want it worse than you, that could be a tough call for both of us.

Jack Brunk
09-23-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't think you have any responsibility to check another forum while buying a great frame in the Classified forum. I sincerely appreciate your most generous offer, thank you. I'll let you know if I want it worse than you, that could be a tough call for both of us.
No worries and you are right on.

93legendti
09-24-2011, 07:20 AM
FWIW, I looked for a CSi for years and eventually had 4 used ones at one time. I found 2 on eBay, 1 on CL and 1 here. They are out there.

spiderman
09-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I have my csi posted in the serotta section with the story...
I was chatting with a guy at the start of the fundraiser ride
In cincinnati...he said the meivici and ottrott were great bikes
But that the csi was what he compared every bike he rides to
...Then he introduced himself as ben serotta
And I spend the rest of the day picking my jaw up
That dropped on the sidewalk!
Ben then took off on the maiden voyage of his meivici
And I followed on with my ottrott (woody)
With my heart set on finding a csi
Which I found on ebay, nos for 700 a few years ago.
I had it set up for double brevet riding with aerobars.
I took them off to let my wife give buzz a try
And can't seem to pry it away from her!
What can I say--she's in love!

c-record
09-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I snoozed and I loozed. Sweet bike, maybe I should track down the one I sold way back when.

c-record
09-24-2011, 01:04 PM
The chance of finding a bike like this used really makes me consider the wisdom of ordering a new lugged steel bike right now. A couple thousand for a new bike or around half that for a sweet used Serotta or similar. Hmmn..

SPOKE
09-24-2011, 01:48 PM
I have one in my collection with the DA 25th anniversary kit on it. It's a sweet ride! Even has the matching F1 fork & Serotta Ti stem. I'd really like to find one of the zero setback Ti seatposts to go with it.