PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best live performance you've seen?

zetroc
09-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Branching off from the worst live performance thread, what was the most impressive, most incredible live musical performance you've ever seen?

Mine was the Flaming Lips at the Fox Theater in Oakland. Hands down the greatest concert of my life.

Louis
09-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Quite a while ago Frank had a "Best Concert" thread. This is my post from there: (I was unable to find the thread from the Search function, and had to dredge it up using the cached version from Google.) In retrospect the tone is a bit sappy, but considering the original audience and where I was posting, it's not too bad:

My favorite concert of all time is described below. I copied this from a post (my one and only) on the forum on Aimee Mann's web site. The thread was "Where did you first hear Aimee?" and I felt like I just had to share the story.

OK this is a bit long, but perhaps interesting:

It was Spring 1984. I was in grad school (engineering) in Hanover NH, and it was just before finals. I think the College had just gone to a day or so pre-finals break, which was a luxury for us, since we weren’t used to having that extra time to cram. So my roommate and I are in our dorm studying goodness knows what, and we hear music coming from a grassy mall area outside. It was a sunny afternoon and we needed a break so we thought we’d check it out. It turned out that some campus organization, I have no clue which one, had brought in a band (were they out of Boston?), stuck them on a flat-bed trailer by the side of Tuck mall, and run some power from the nearest dorm. This was not a regular deal, and I’d never seen a band there before.

When we reached the trailer there were maybe half a dozen other people listening. We had work do, but the music was good, and the lead singer a knockout with funky hair, so we decided to sit down for a while. I also have to say that I felt kind of sorry for the band, because there were so few people in the audience. As we listened we realized, that this wasn’t just a bunch of chumps. They were good. I can specifically remember liking “Love in a Vacuum.” and “Voices Carry” which also got a good audience response. A few more students drifted over, but at it’s largest, I don’t think there were ever more than fifteen people in the crowd. I can also remember thinking, “This is strange, having this experience practically to myself, but it’s also kind of pure, in a weird way.”

After about thirty minutes the band began to wrap things up and played what sounded like the last song, but we didn’t want to let them go, so the handful of people there kept clapping until they played an encore or two. After that the lead singer said a few words, and “We’re ‘Til Tuesday.” I can remember as if it was yesterday, thinking to myself, “I should remember that name, I bet they’re going places…”

Well, you never really know where life is going to take you, but on a sunny afternoon over twenty years ago my path briefly crossed Aimee’s.

Louis

mgm777
09-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Best live performance for me, by far, was a Midnight Oil concert in Winnipeg, MB, in Sept 1990. I believe it was their "Blue Sky Mining" tour. From the moment they got on stage until they left, they filled the venue with pure energy. Lead singer, Peter Garrett was absolutely astounding. They were one of those bands that sounds much, much better live than recorded. And, I thought their CDs sounded great at the time. When they started playing, we were blown away by the music, the energy, the vocals, the sound, the whole enchilada. I have had that experience only a couple of times in my life. Wish they were still making music. Incredible live band. Great concert experience.

GuyGadois
09-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Wow, this is a tough one. Easier to pick the worst. Echo & The Bunnymen is the best group I have seen in concert. My favorite concert of their I attended was at the Arlingnton in Santa Barbara during their Ocean Rain album. Seen them a few times and they rock the place. Like most concerts, the venue is as important as the group. It's hard to put U2 on my top list when they play in such a large venue. Even great musicians lose something in huge stadiums.

Honorable mention: Chickasaw Mudd Puppies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvDEQtalMA&sns=em) (in Chicago bar) , REM (Santa Barbara Bowl during Fables tour, I thnk), Missing Persons (at US Festival with Terry Bozio on drums. Concert also had awesome performances from U2, David Bowie and Pretenders) and Beautiful South (at Bimbos 365).

mgm777
09-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Really enjoyed a concert featuring Shriekback, also in the 90s, at a small theater venue in Denver. Another great live experience. Very dark, almost goth alternative vibe to the whole thing. But great music and experience as I recall.

rustychisel
09-23-2011, 02:05 AM
Oliver and I were talking off forum about things and I recalled seeing Bullet La Volta at Die Melkveg in Amsterdam in early 1990 and they were just astounding. It's obscure, I know, but if anyone could point me in their direction I'd be grateful. My hazy recollection is they were outta Boston.

Saw U2 around the time of 'Red Rocks' at the old Apollo sardine tin here in Adelaide, and they were... good. Saw The Lemonheads before Ray at a venue in Biberach, or maybe it was Munchen-Gladbach. Saw Midnight Oil at Adelaide University O'Ball 1981. 'Bird Noises' EP had just been released... oh man oh man oh man. Really one of the best bands ever, anywhere.

Bruce Springteen & The E.
Played in some big Melbourne arena in 1985 and my partner and I drove over for the show and a bit of a holiday. I'm not a fan, never really seen the point, since I'm not a Jersey boy, but my girl is a huge fan (with a bit of sexual frisson too I suspect).
The band played for 2 1/2 hours then went off, came back and played another half hour encore. Not technically perfect but who gives a rats. This was the consummate live rock performance for an arena. They were all just jaw-droppingly good, feeding off each others moves like only a really well versed band can do.

Ray
09-23-2011, 02:13 AM
Well, I'm an old Deadhead and I'd say the Boyz were responsible for a couple of the best I've ever seen and a couple of the worst I've seen. They were very human that way - on a good night they could transcend just about everything but they were NOT afraid to fail!

Best Dead show I ever saw was my second show in 1978 in Eugene, Oregon. A pretty legendary show among Deadheads - I was really lucky to be there. I have the tapes and it REALLY holds up - I didn't just imagine it!

Saw Springsteen a few times in '77 and '78, touring behind Darkness, and those shows were the best Springsteen I ever saw, but he's always great.

Dexter Gordon on his return to the US, also in '77, in a small jazz club in Seattle. Best jazz performance I've ever seen.

Stones a few times, but their '81 tour was the best I saw them - a few shows. I was too young for the '72 shows around Exile - damn I'd love to be able to time travel back to a few of those!

George Harrison/Ravi/Billy, etc in '74. I don't know if it was the best, but it was definitely the most exciting, being only 15 at the time, and seeing a Beatle!

Saw both the Talking Heads and Police in really small venues before anyone (me included) knew who they were - Talking Heads in a small bar in '78 or '79 and the Police in a small auditorium in probably '80. Also saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers at s really small theater in Seattle before I had any idea who they were (probably '84?), playing some speed/punk/surf/metal hybrid. I hated 'em! Came to love them later, but never saw them again. Oh yeah, the Ramones in a small student union around the same '79-'80 period - I didn't get them at the time either...

I've seen Dylan many many times, but some of his mid-90s shows were the best I saw. He was reinvigorated and still had a semblance of his voice. He was pretty bad most of the times I saw him in the '80s - going through the motions.

Petty was always good, but only great once - I think right after damn the Torpedos.

Van Morrison was great. Bonnie Raitt could be great on occasion.

Soundgarden and Pearl Jam in Seattle, shortly before I left the area in '92 - jeez, they were incredible and I didn't full get them until a year or two later, but you could still tell how great they were.

Aimee Mann is always good - the first time I saw her she took me totally by surprise and I thought she was incredible, but I think it was a matter of low expectations - she probably wasn't that much better than the other times.

Too many obscure artists in small clubs to even remember, some of them were just fantastic on the right night. Shannon McNally in a living room sized club comes to mind. Joe Ely in the same place.

I was at my most receptive in the late '70s and early '80s, before life got in the way. But I've seen many great shows over the years. Now, its too much hassle and I really don't love the crowds.

-Ray

Terry312
09-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Definitely Pink Floyd - Meddle Tour. Auditorium Theater, Chicago, 1970 or 1971.
No bogus light show... About $5.00

d_douglas
09-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Before I was into bikes, I spent all my money on live shows. I rarely see anything now due to having a small children, old age ;), and greater interest in cycling. I have seen so many concerts, that I am sure I am overlooking some great ones, but these ones stand out:

While not the best, I saw the Butthole Surfers in Vancouver many moons ago and it was VERY memorable. I had been know to imbibe at the time, but that night I was totally straight (drinking water, I seem to recall). I went with two stoner friends who were on acid, and I swear, we all left that show equally wigged out. The strobe lights, the megaphones, the fighting, the blood, the fire leaping up into the lighting systems, and the uhhhh, music. It was great.

I saw John Zorn's Electric Masada in a site of ruins in suburban Rome in 2004. His music may be hard to listen to at times, but he is truly a pioneer in jazz. It was great.

Of note, when I was a youngster, I saw two great bands (separately) that became very popular years later. I saw Soul Asylum when I was about 17 in 1987 and they were astonishing - naive, emotional, eager to perform - what a band should be. Their van broke down on the outskirts of the city and they called to say they'd be late. My girlfriend offered to pick them up in her Dad's station wagon so they just stuffed a couple of guitars in the back and all climbed into the car, and showed up late. They ate spaghetti and drank beer ( that rested on the monitors) while they burned the house down. It was great. They later turned into rock stars.

Second, in the same venue, I saw the Black Crowes. They were nobodies, travelling in an old van and gettin high. The were rock stars before they had any fame, which I kind o loved. I was a fan of punk music, but I couldn't help but jump up and down as the fans on the corners of the stage blew their long sweaty hair back as they shook their skinny little asses on stage in a tiny little club in smalltown Canada. It was great.

They remain a guilty pleasure band to listen to.

EDIT> I saw Prince years ago, and while I don't really like him, he is a great performer.

BryanE
09-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Rory Gallagher 1991 at the Key West Club in Detroit is my most memorable/favorite.
It sadly turned out to be his last visit to the states before his death.

Tommy Bolin with James Gang was memorable.

Jimmy Thackery at The State Theater in Kalamazoo was amazing.

How bout NRBQ tearing it up in front of maybe 200 people at the Small Planet Cafe in East Lansing!!

Los Lobos anytime!
BryanE

Stan Lee
09-23-2011, 05:27 AM
EDIT> I saw Prince years ago, and while I don't really like him, he is a great performer.

I was going to say Prince on his 1999 tour before he was really popular- I was really young and went with my older brother in Omaha, NE. From what I remember we were the only two white people there.

stephenmarklay
09-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Ok I am going to sound like a total gimp here.

I saw Jewel at our local opera house. Absolutely fantastic. It made me realize how commercial albums (cd) are.

I had a cd of her's and did enjoy it but in person in a theatre built for sound reproduction her A capella version of a couple of her hits was over the top fantastic.

93legendti
09-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Led Zeppelin 1977 - 3 hrs. No warmup.
Allman Bros. - 2004.
Sanatana and Jeff Beck - 1995

rwsaunders
09-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Springsteen many times in the late 70's and 80's...consummate showman. A small band from Newfounland; Great Big Sea. Not a brand name in the US, but they really have a unique sound and energy. Super musicians and vocalists too.

BillG
09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
So many:
Gang of Four 83
The Fall 83
Husker Du at the Concord Middle School Cafeteria
Sitting in front of Elton Jones' drum set
Mission of Burma on the night they tore down the Underground
Chucho Valdes in a tiny club when he first came to the US.
Benny Carter and Phil Woods
Pollini on an all-Chopin program
Andy Statman

Hard to choose!

Elefantino
09-23-2011, 06:52 AM
1. Blues Brothers @ San Francisco's Winterland, New Year's Eve 1978. The last night for the greatest concert venue, ever. They opened for the Dead.

2. Day On The Green @ Oakland Coliseum, summer 1976. Boz Scaggs, Tower Of Power, Santana, Journey. All-star Bay Area lineup was absolutely dominated by the best live show ever from TOP, my homeboys.

3. Queen @ Oakland Coliseum Arena, Christmastime 1978. Freddy at the height of his powers.

4. Pablo Cruise @ Oakland's Paramount Theater, NYE 1979. Boz Scaggs had canceled, so Pablo was a last-minute replacement. Opening band was "Huey Lewis and the American Express" ... Pablo played a long version of "Rio" right at midnight and the whole theater (practically) started a conga line.

5. Eagles @ SF's Golden Gate Park, fall 1979. Came at the end of a benefit 10K with the release of "The Long Run" (get it?).

Aaron O
09-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Most of the better shows I've seen were lesser known bands at smaller venues. I can't think of many stadium shows I've seen where I was blown away...

Mose Allison - Rollers

Steely Dan @ The Tweeter Center (or whatever it's called now)...the sound was good, the set list was perfect and they were just ON.

Yo La Tengo with Sun Ra's Arkestra - Trocadero - so much energy! It was their last show on the tour and they just rocked it the hell out!

Man...or Astro Man? in Ybor City - so much fun - so much showmanship

Electric Six at The Khyber - great band, great energy

Violent Femmes (good stadium show) - St. Petersburg - so much fun - they played hard and enjoyed it.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - The Khyber - AMAZING

Pixies at Tweeter Center - seeing them was just a dream come true.

They Might be Giants - EVERY SHOW EVER

Drive By Truckers - TLA - awesome band, awesome song writing, awesome live

Ray Davies - The Tower

rounder
09-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I went to a lot of concerts that i thought were great, but thought that one of the most amazingly good concerts was seeing Ry Cooder play accoustic at the chapel at Georgetown University.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4KmbUCwkyE

nighthawk
09-23-2011, 07:02 AM
So many:
Gang of Four 83
The Fall 83

Ahhh.. I'm jealous of those. Mission of Burma still puts on a great show.

Performances that stand out for me:

Michael Hurley in a small movie theatre in Belfast, ME
Shellac in a town hall on Martha's Vineyard
Doc Watson
Gillian Welch surprise show in a small Providence club
The Ramones

BillG
09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Doc Watson

I'd have to add Doc too!

Kontact
09-23-2011, 08:17 AM
A toss up between a 1989 Violent Femmes show and Ween in 1993.

That Dean Ween can really play guitar.

bobswire
09-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Led Zeppelin, Cream,Janis Joplin and big brother and the holding company,Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix,The Doors,Santana, The Band,
Paul Butterfield Blues Band,The Who,Richie Havens,Pink Floyd, Procol Harum,
Buffalo Springfield,The Who, etc, etc....perks of the job being the back stage doorman 1968-72.

Aaron O
09-23-2011, 08:28 AM

That Dean Ween can really play guitar.

We used to play video games with those guys at Tyler Art school.

jbay
09-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Richard Thompson doing an all requests show in Club Passim (Cambridge, MA) three years ago. Intimate venue, incredible recall and improvisation.

-- John

cmg
09-23-2011, 08:44 AM
blue oyster cult during the "on your feet or on your knees" tour. they were the middle band in a 3 band set, trapeze was the headliner. so much better. Beck's boogie would have made you cry, it was so perfect.

BillG
09-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Richard Thompson doing an all requests show in Club Passim (Cambridge, MA) three years ago. Intimate venue, incredible recall and improvisation.

-- John

I wish I'd gone! That reminds me: Danú at a pub in Worcester five or six years ago and Paddy Keenan and Andy Irvine in the back room at the Burren in Davis Square.

Frankwurst
09-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Grover Washington Jr. at Bob Carr in Orlando, FL
Sonia DaDa at the Junkyard (a bar) in Altamonte Springs, FL
Yonder Mountain String Band at Big Top Chatagua in Bayfiel, WI
:beer:

pjm
09-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Back in the '70s, The Jazz All-Stars, at the Colonie Coliseum. (They had a round rotating stage) McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter, Wayne Shorter and Al Foster.
Magical.

More recently, I saw Bruce Cockburn and his band at the Egg in Albany. Fantastic show.

johnnymossville
09-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I've seen so many good ones, but probably my favorite was seeing Pete Townshend do Psychoderelict at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA. Really fun show.

Bro and I had great seats, 3rd Row Center.

93legendti
09-23-2011, 09:22 AM
blue oyster cult during the "on your feet or on your knees" tour. they were the middle band in a 3 band set, trapeze was the headliner. so much better. Beck's boogie would have made you cry, it was so perfect.
I saw BOC at the Toledo Speedway Jam in 1979 or 1980....a concert with Trapeze (love Glenn Hughes) would have been awesome

Ray
09-23-2011, 09:27 AM

-- John
Oh jeez, HOW could I forget to mention Richard Thompson? I've seen him several times and there isn't a better live musician anywhere. I slightly prefer him solo acoustic, but he's Sokol good plugged in that I really don't care.

-Ray

Ray
09-23-2011, 09:33 AM
1. Blues Brothers @ San Francisco's Winterland, New Year's Eve 1978. The last night for the greatest concert venue, ever. They opened for the Dead.

I was almost at that show. Saw them the night before in LA (and a couple nights earlier in San Diego). An LA friend had tickets and an extra seat on a commuter flight up to the Bay Area on th 31st. I was sick as a dog and had to get back to Arizona for family commitments, but probably would have gone if I hadn't been sick. My buddy called me New Years Day to tell me about the show and about the flight - which turned out to be him, an empty seat where I would have been, and the Dead. He had a great time. I didn't.

The Dead weren't great that night - I've heard the tapes, but what a party to close down Winterland! I'm mildly envious...

-Ray

fuzzalow
09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Led Zeppelin 1975 on their first night's NYC performance at MSG. First time back for Dazed and Confused on the setlist for that tour.

Cheap Trick at the Bottom Line.

Clapton during his From the Cradle tour.

Terry312
09-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Although I posted earlier in this thread Pink Floyd - Meddle Tour - 1970 or 71, were talking best performance, right? I should state, and this might date me, as if Pink Floyd hasn't. The first concert I attended was The Jimi Hendrix Experience in probably 1968. In retrospect, it may not even make my top ten, and I love Hendrix. Why? The sound sucked.

While I'm at it I saw Jeff Beck a few years back at the Park West Chicago, when he had the young female bass player with him, Tal...

That was sweet, so it's a toss up Pink Floyd Meddle and Jeff Beck present (sort of).

Vancouverdave
09-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Led Zeppelin 1975 on their first night's NYC performance at MSG. First time back for Dazed and Confused on the setlist for that tour.

Cheap Trick at the Bottom Line.

Clapton during his From the Cradle tour.
Wish I'd caught Cheap Trick live, this isn't the first time I've heard they're a great live band. Give you a three way tie: Television, Roxy Theater in LA, 1978, XTC, Portland 1980, Stephane Wrembel, also POrtland, 2003.

johnnymossville
09-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Wish I'd caught Cheap Trick live, this isn't the first time I've heard they're a great live band. Give you a three way tie: Television, Roxy Theater in LA, 1978, XTC, Portland 1980, Stephane Wrembel, also POrtland, 2003.

I walked into this little bar back home in PA,... must have been 1993 or 1994 and heard some band playing and said to the guy I was with,... Wow, that band sounds just like Cheap Trick,...

Turns out it was Cheap Trick, probably 100 people at most in the bar.

Ray
09-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I saw Cheap Trick so many times I got really really sick of them. In the late '70s they were critical darlings but hadn't hit commercially yet, and they were out their hoofing it on the arena rock circuit, opening for EVERYONE. I can't even begin to tell you who they opened for anymore, because it was EVERYONE!

I never really got them - I mean they were a sort of funny visual cartoon the first time, but the music never did a whole lot for me. It was good enough pop-rock and they were enthusiastic, but I just never got it. Then they got huge and I don't think I ever saw them again, because I wasn't gonna buy a ticket to see them headline after all of those openers...

-Ray

gdw
09-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Springsteen, Born to Run tour, Colgate University, 1976
Hank Williams Jr, Cumberland Civic Center, Fayetteville NC 1982
The Tom Tom Club, Blondie, Ramones, Burlington, Vermont 1990
Richard Thompson, Chautauqua Auditorium, Boulder 1996?
Lyle Lovett, Red Rocks

katematt
09-23-2011, 11:37 AM
My wedding night, New Years Eve 1996

Plenty of GD

While I have seen the Stones in the 00's, hearing you guys talk about Springsteen, LZ and the Stones back in the 70's makes me very envious.

merlincustom1
09-23-2011, 12:16 PM
In no particular order, Radiohead at the Tower in Phila a few years back, k d lang Ingenue tour, and Bjork at Radio City three weeks after 9-11.

Bob Ross
09-23-2011, 01:18 PM
4-way tie for "Best"

- Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention, 1974, Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ
this was the band with Ruth Underwood, George Duke, Chester Thompson, Tom Fowler, & Napoleon Murphy Brock...the One Size Fits All band (albeit prior to the release of that album). I was 13 years old and it was the first concert I'd ever attended without parental accompinament. Mind = Blown.

- Gang Of Four, 1986, Metro in Boston, MA
their so-called "Farewell" tour. Sara Lee on bass, one or two of the background singers who'd just done Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense tour, a ton of cocaine clearly coursing through the audience and the band, just a spectacularly engaging experience.

- The Bill Frisell Band, 1986, 1369 Club in Cambridge, MA
Mutant jazz from outer space. The telepathic purposefullness that pervaded their collective improvisations, and (conversely) their ability to infuse through-composed material with a sense of on-the-spot extemporization were equally mind-boggling.

- The Corner Store Syndicate Big Band, 1990 (?), The Knitting Factory in New York, NY
Imagine a 10-piece big band populated entirely by bona-fide all-stars of the Downtown Skronk-Jazz scene doing the same thing I described Frisell's band doing.

oliver1850
09-23-2011, 01:20 PM
I've seen lots of the bands mentioned, and others not, put on great shows. Blue Oyster Cult numerous times '75-'77, Springsteen Darkness tour, Cheap Trick, Jeff Beck '80 ish, Ramones '80, Zappa, Robyn Hitchcock at Stache's in Columbus '84?, Alex Chilton, Dick Dale, Uncle Tupelo, Link Wray, Yo La Tengo, Marshall Crenshaw, Tommy Keene, Wilco, Polara. Also a bunch of local/regional bands that I saw many times: the Rave, the Something Brothers, the Dangtrippers, Full Fathom Five, House of Large Sizes, the Bent Scepters, Poster Children. My all time favorite show was the Flaming Lips, Gabe's Oasis, probably '89 or '90.

Ozz
09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Lloyd Cole at the Moore Theater....probably around 1990 or so. Awesome sound.

Grateful Dead - Autzen Stadium....late '80's....bloody hot but loads of fun.

Jonathan Richman at the Medieval Inn about the same time. Very intimate venue...we got him to hold up a sign for a friend who couldn't make the show:

verticaldoug
09-23-2011, 05:01 PM
April 22 , 1985 in Osaka Jo Hall Osaka, Japan Bruce Springsteen and the E st Band. A bunch of us were exchange students hanging out in Japan with some serious home sickness. . . Clarence was in fine form on the Sax that evening.

Fixed
09-23-2011, 05:52 PM
chick corea r.t.f. tour last week
mcoy tyner 1976 new york 2 hour solo piano
cheers

PJN
09-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Fugazi. Any of 'em.

gasman
09-23-2011, 06:35 PM
cheers

Good to hear. I going tonight. can't wait.

wc1934
09-23-2011, 07:13 PM
My favorite band is/was the Dead - Boston Garden brings back the best memories, but acoustics were.....

BB King, Jefferson Airplane, The Who at Tanglewood.
Edgar Winter
Kinks
David Bowie
Stones
NRPS
just to name a few

yarg
09-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Led Zeppelin, Cream,Janis Joplin and big brother and the holding company,Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix,The Doors,Santana, The Band,
Buffalo Springfield,The Who, etc, etc....perks of the job being the back stage doorman 1968-72.

You must follow with some stories.

chuckroast
09-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Man, I don't know how to narrow down to one.

Early good memories:

Randy Newman and a piano on stage the the Orpheum in Omaha
Ditto with Keith Jarrett except at the University of Nebraska Student Union

Later:

Tower of Power (holy crap those guys can play)
Crissy Hynde and the Pretenders (I'm smitten)
Asleep at the Wheel (a Western Swing band, highly recommended)

akelman
09-23-2011, 08:22 PM
I saw The Replacements open for X on the West Side of Cleveland in, um, 1982 or 1983 (X was touring in support of Under the Big Black Sun, I think, or maybe Wild Gift). It was almost impossibly great.

akelman
09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I also saw the Violent Femmes play at Oberlin Colllege's Finney Chapel in '80 or '81. That was also pretty fantastic.

drewski
09-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Jimmy Page, Clapton, Beck and others raising money for Ronnie Lane of the Faces ARMS tour. Nice vibe no egos. Just music for a great cause.

Beck, Simon Phillips, and Jan Hammer played their asses off.
Even though the show was at Madison Square g.

Roger Waters and Eric Clapton Pros and cons of hitchhiking had the best sound I ever heard.

King Crimson has been one of the more consistently great bands I have seen.
Bruford, Bellew, Levin, and Fripp are amazing. Adrian Bellew seems to enjoy playing more than any musician, smiles the entire evening.

oliver1850
09-23-2011, 10:55 PM
I saw The Replacements open for X on the West Side of Cleveland in, um, 1982 or 1983 (X was touring in support of Under the Big Black Sun, I think, or maybe Wild Gift). It was almost impossibly great.

Quite the show. I never got to see X at all, and regret not seeing the Mats with Bob.

Are you sure that the Femmes show was that early? I didn't know they toured before the first album came out (early in 1983 according to Wikipedia, although its copyright date is 1982).

rounder
09-23-2011, 11:45 PM
The thing that struck me from going to concerts was not how well they could play, They all could play. The thing that made things different was how well they could connect, or change your view, meanwhile allowing you to have a good time. I never went to a bad concert.

Dekonick
09-23-2011, 11:51 PM
The live show I wish I had gone to see - Queen.

Spin71
09-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Best Dead show I ever saw was my second show in 1978 in Eugene, Oregon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bVBGUIHSk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLDAD63DEAC6D18AFA

I lost my cookies during that Close Encounters Jam. I'll take the 80 Radio City for all time favorite. Nothing like an Acoustic/Electric...

akelman
09-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Are you sure that the Femmes show was that early? I didn't know they toured before the first album came out (early in 1983 according to Wikipedia, although its copyright date is 1982).

I'm not, to be honest. Most of junior high/high school is a blur for me.

Hanlonj
09-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Best Live Show - Midnight Oil - 1990ish - in Long Island - Incredibly energetic show. It was a bizzarly hot and windy night - kind of seemed a little Austrailian epic - like the show.

Worst live show = The Replacements - early 90s in Philadelphia. Sadly, their shows were very hit or miss in those days (or throughout their history) and we made it to one of the shows where the guitarist (other than Paul W) was trippin pretty seriously. Not a good night.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Iron Maiden '83 (I think) at Radio City. 28 years later, that band still brings it, live.

Warrior Soul at The Continental NYC in 2007. Clarke is always intense, and pissed.

Motorhead in 2002, small club, I forget where. Loud!!

Chad Engle
09-24-2011, 08:26 AM
AC/DC

Social Distortion w/ Wolfmother

bart998
09-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Rosebowl, 1994, 20th row center. Awesome!

krhea
09-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Godfather of Soul/The hardest workin' man in showbiz...Mr James Brown. Vets Memorial, Columbus Ohio, 1968...I was 10yrs old! It was the first concert I'd ever seen. My mother took me and we danced in the aisles. Never forget it.

Rolling Stones in Boston about 15yrs ago. 2nd row VIP seats. It was crazy, fun and surreal.

"World Series of Rock 'n Roll", Cleveland Stadium, late '70s. Electric Light Orchestra, Journey, Foreigner

KRhea

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Social D bring it to this day. Ness' face is the story of a survivor.AC/DC

Social Distortion w/ Wolfmother

pjmsj21
09-24-2011, 09:41 AM
I find, as mentioned before, that the venue can really make or break a performance.

Thus two of the best live performances that I have seen are Michael Hedges here in a small now defunct small club here in Eugene in the late 90's. Michael Hedges may not be a household word to some, but suffice to say that he was (until his untimely death in an auto crash) the Jimi Hendrix of the acoustic guitars. It was an absolutely a great performance and one that I will always remember.

Of recent note, I saw Brandi Carlile a few weeks ago, again in a small venue and it was a great performance.....maybe a bit formulamatic in that it was almost identical to her live album but great none the less.

I have tickets for Neil Young's Bridge School concert in a few weeks. Performers include Mumford and Sons, Eddie Vedder, Dave Mathews, Dianna Krall, Santana, Tony Bennett along with Neil himself. Cant wait on this one.

BillG
09-24-2011, 10:11 AM
X on the Wild Gift tour with the Placemats when they were good and James Brown '68 are kind of tough to beat.

Has anyone seen Derek Trucks? Listening to his Live in Georgia record it seem like he must be truly sublime live.

Another two best concerts: Roy Haynes/John Pattitucci/Danilo Perez which was recorded (http://www.amazon.com/Roy-Haynes-Trio/dp/B00004SRIF) although no recording can match the live experience of them playing Green Chimneys.

Joe Lovano, every time I've seen him. Absolute genius live.

Norm Swift
09-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Now that would be a great show. I have seen both but not in the same evening.

Norm

Norm Swift
09-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Quite the show. I never got to see X at all, and regret not seeing the Mats with Bob.

Never say Never. They are still touring, saw them about 5 years ago at the Recher in Towson. John Doe, Exene, Billy Zoom are on the Road as we speak. Check them out, just bring earplugs... one of the loudest shows that I have been to in quite awhile.

Norm

Norm Swift
09-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Has anyone seen Derek Trucks? Listening to his Live in Georgia record it seem like he must be truly sublime live.

I will be seeing him with his wife (Susan Tedeschi) in about a month at the Warner Theater in DC. Can't wait...

Norm

Norm Swift
09-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Oh jeez, HOW could I forget to mention Richard Thompson? I've seen him several times and there isn't a better live musician anywhere. I slightly prefer him solo acoustic, but he's Sokol good plugged in that I really don't care.

-Ray

I was supposed to see Richard Thompson with John Prine about two weeks ago at Pier Six in Baltimore. A Hurricane changed those plans. The re-scheduled concert was last night except Richard Thompson was substituted by Loudon Wainwright III. John Prine is a must-see. He is authentic and his guitar player... a dude named Jason Wilbur brings a stripped down, clean approach to lead guitar riffs.

Nothing like a dose of John Prine to clear the mind.

Norm

Norm Swift
09-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Before I was into bikes, I spent all my money on live shows. I rarely see anything now due to having a small children, old age ;), and greater interest in cycling.

Unfortunately, I have not broken the habit... even with kids and old age. Current line up of shows... John Prine last night, Wilco this Sunday at Merriweather Post (epic place to see a show), Psych Furs with Tom Tom Club on 9/29, Matthew Sweet 10/27 in Annapolis and Trucks Tedeschi Band in DC on 10/28.

If you haven't yet, you should check out Mumford and Sons. Saw them this past April on Oakland's waterfront... and at Merriweather Post Pavilion in June.

I think I have a problem.

Norm

bobswire
09-24-2011, 10:49 AM
yarg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire

You must follow with some stories.
I was the backstage doorman or back door man as I liked to be called.
The entrance to the back stage was to the left of the stage in the old Fillmore and when we moved over to the Carousel Ballroom in 1968 which became Fillmore West the back stage entrance was directly behind the stage on the right side. In both buildings I had the best seat in the house with the best perk being groupies had to go through me first. :banana:
http://i51.tinypic.com/acwoqs.jpg
My memory of those days is a purple haze but I will soon be selling a collection of Fillmore posters from that period.
As I sell a poster I'll try to recount that particular show.
One of my favorites was Janis coming out to me and telling me to throw that bum out of her dressing room, I went back with her to see who she was talking about, Jim Morrison....True story.
Pic of my brother Ray and I ,he later became Santanas manager.
http://i54.tinypic.com/eepoh.jpg

Ray
09-24-2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bVBGUIHSk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLDAD63DEAC6D18AFA

I lost my cookies during that Close Encounters Jam. I'll take the 80 Radio City for all time favorite. Nothing like an Acoustic/Electric...
Were you there?!?!? Or just had the tapes?

Man, I have some STORIES from that night. The music was incredible but there was something else in the air at Mac Court that night. VERY strange goings on - all good, but stuff I can't believe to this day.

And, yeah, I liked em acoustic too, but if I had to pick a favorite period, I think it would be the early '70s period with just Billy playing drums. I loved Mickey, but there was something about that band with one drummer that just made 'em more agile. Still just as weird and interesting, but they could turn on a dime. With both drummers going, they could build some serious momentum but getting them to change direction was like trying to turn an ocean liner. Unfortunately that was just a few years before my time, but some of those shows hold up better for me than just about anything.

-Ray

djg
09-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Saw Springsteen a few times in '77 and '78, touring behind Darkness, and those shows were the best Springsteen I ever saw, but he's always great.

. . .

Aimee Mann is always good - the first time I saw her she took me totally by surprise and I thought she was incredible, but I think it was a matter of low expectations - she probably wasn't that much better than the other times.

I saw Springsteen play in a theater in Rochester, NY in '75 or '76. I wasn't expecting that much. I'd heard Born to Run and a couple of earlier songs on the radio, but was into other things and not really paying attention. My friend Al convinced me to go and it was . . . well, kind of awesome. Rocking. Joyful. One of the best live shows I've ever seen.

The first time I saw Aimee Mann live was maybe 10 or 12 years ago. Great in a different way -- one that kind of bummed me out about some of the other shows I'd seen others do. She was great because she really performed her songs instead of just covering them, and it was on, and familiar, and in little ways surprising, as it's supposed to be; and because she sang well -- lovely, strong, and actually on key (basically, just like on the album, but without aping the album). I don't mean that the show itself bummed me out. I had a great time, bought a copy of "I'm with stupid," which she signed, and went home happy. It's just that I started thinking about all the pop/rock shows I'd been to where folks just went through the motions, or the chops weren't there, and it was too damn many. In singer-songwriter land, I'd contrast the Aimee Mann show with a Shawn Colvin show at the Birchmere that I was taken too by my wife and some of her pals. Ms. Colvin played fine, sang fine, but just gave a perfunctory run through on the prearranged, ungenerous set list and patter for the faithful little clique of fans and I was thoroughly nonplussed. Here's your solo acoustic chunk of plastic, come again.

1centaur
09-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Elton John, Boston Opera House maybe 1979, acoustic with Ray Cooper on percussion. Took the bus with my best friend from western Mass to the Combat Zone (hooker central; pimp with prostitute asked this goggle-eyed teen how I was doing while I was waiting at the bus station). At the concert sat next to a guy toking heavily (bummer for me); when Elton talked about Trigger dying in setting up his song about Roy Rogers, the toker screamed out "Aw, poor baby!" from the back row and Elton said, "cynical bastard." The toker left the concert when the weed ran out - bonus for me. But the concert itself was spectacular; no band needed. Arrived back in Springfield in the middle of the night for a connection to Northampton where we'd ride our bikes back to Amherst at night, but my mother thought better of that plan and picked us up (not like we had lights on our bikes or anything).

Good times.

gavingould
09-24-2011, 05:00 PM
wow a lot of you have seen some great stuff. i'm not as well aged as most of ya, so you may not recognize some of these...

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - St. Andrews Hall, Detroit 2001. enthralling.
Radiohead - Grant Park, Chicago 2001. outdoor, great weather, great set.
Neurosis - Logan Square Auditorium, Chicago, 2007
Sunn0))) - Logan Square Auditorium, Chicago, 2006

zmudshark
09-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Thought long and hard, I've seen some really good concerts, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Procol Harum, Ry Cooder, Captain Beefheart, Zappa and the MOI, Ella Fitzgerald, Willie Dixon, and so on.

I think the best performance I was ever at was Rahsaan Roland Kirk at Baker's Keyboard Lounge.

That was a performance to remember.

saab2000
09-24-2011, 05:31 PM
A High school aged or at oldest early college aged bar band in Milwaukee in the spring of 1986. They were tight, the singer had charisma and a voice and total confidence. They sang mostly covers but sang them seemingly better than the originals. And that was so wrong but they were so good. They owned the bar for about 3 hours. A couple hundred people were there.

I don't remember who they were but they were great.

Really small places make for the best music.

froze
09-24-2011, 05:43 PM
I've been to so many concerts it's tough to point out just one. But for quality of music I would have to go with a Boston concert I went to in the mid 70's; but the most fun concert was the Beach Boys also in the mid 70's, though they struggled hitting those high notes they were famous for but the crowd had fun.

I did do something different though, I went to a 3 Dog Night concert back in the early 70's then went again just last spring! Two of the old guys are still in the band and you could tell they were still enjoying themselves. I guess for memories the 3 Dog Night was a special. Their lead guitar man is a guy who use to play backup for Jimi Hendrix and he was very good. The quality of the music overall wasn't very good anymore but they made the best of it. Chuck can still reach high notes though which is impressive given his age but the power isn't there anymore, but nobody cared.

echelon_john
09-24-2011, 06:01 PM
- Treat Her Right with Mark Sandman playing in a dorm lounge at MIT; couldn't have been more than 100 people, and they killed it.
- Drivin' and Cryin' at the Marquee Club in London in 1991; apparently they had gotten really crappy reviews the last time they passed through, so they were determined to rip the roof off the place. They succeeded.
- Fishbone, Bill's Bar, a million years ago. Crazy great energy.
- Dinosaur Jr at some club in Portland, ME. Loud as hell; Mascis played with his back to the crowd for most of the show. But the feeling and rush of sound was amazing.
- Motorhead last year at the HOB in Boston. The dude's 65 years old and still brings it. See the documentary if you haven't.
- Arcade Fire a few times, most recently on Thursday in Montreal. Amazing energy and enthusiasm live; a review a while ago mentioned "members of the band singing backup, at the top of their lungs, whether there was a microphone nearby or not." That pretty much sums it up. As good as any band live as I've ever seen.

At 41, maybe I'm getting into the 'should know better' age group, but live music does me more good than any shrink ever could.
-

BryanE
09-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Treat Her Right???You have good taste.
I will always remember this line from the THR song
Picture Of The Future:
"I got a picture of the future
and you ain't in it"
Bryan

bigman
09-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Talking Heads Forest Hills tennis center around 1984

Pearl jam - 2006 with Ben Harper - was not a big Pearl Jam fan but an amazing show.

FlashUNC
09-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Hands down, The Boss.

Was a 3+ hour show and the man didn't sit still for any of it. Played Born to Run start to finish, took audience requests.

Tickets were expensive but I'd gladly pay double for that kind of show again.

ahumblecycler
09-24-2011, 09:25 PM
I hate, seriously I hate, Beck! I hate his music on the radio or at any of my friend's place. BUT I saw him live May 1997, and I was memorized! He is an ACE performer! I still hate his music, but his live show goes down as #1 ... past all my favorite bands.

Seott-e
09-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Bill Kirchen, I've seen him twice and he is alway great !

L84dinr
09-25-2011, 12:37 AM
2nd chapter of acts; in edmond OK. probably '82-'83

Phil Keaggy in Wichita KS. the truck carrying the bands equipment had its tires slashed in st louis so Keaggy comes out with an acoustic guitar and a chair, and apologizes while explaining what happened.

Warren Zevon at The Cains Ballroom in Tulsa, OK. Epic venue!

Band i missed that i truly wish i could see The Rheostatics.

always a "green sprout"

raymond

froze
09-25-2011, 12:37 PM
2nd chapter of acts; in edmond OK. probably '82-'83

Phil Keaggy in Wichita KS. the truck carrying the bands equipment had its tires slashed in st louis so Keaggy comes out with an acoustic guitar and a chair, and apologizes while explaining what happened.

Warren Zevon at The Cains Ballroom in Tulsa, OK. Epic venue!

Band i missed that i truly wish i could see The Rheostatics.

always a "green sprout"

raymond

I saw 2nd Chapter of Acts in Ventura CA back in 79 or 80 and they were good, but for some reason most Christian bands did not and still don't have the sound quality of most secular bands, and this applies not only live in concert but also on CD's. Please note the usage of the word most, I didn't say all. The best sound quality Christian rock CD I ever heard was POD, I never saw them in concert though. When I speak of sound quality I'm not speaking about the performance, I'm speaking about how the music sounds to my ears.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Hands down, The Boss.

Was a 3+ hour show and the man didn't sit still for any of it. Played Born to Run start to finish, took audience requests.

Tickets were expensive but I'd gladly pay double for that kind of show again.
I'm not a huge fan, or even like any of his songs, with a few exceptions. but, no one can deny the man's passion and intensity in his live performances. He doesn't know the term "phone it in". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Xb8Cq9NrI

froze
09-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm not a huge fan, or even like any of his songs, with a few exceptions. but, no one can deny the man's passion and intensity in his live performances. He doesn't know the term "phone it in". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Xb8Cq9NrI

I've always liked his music and wish I could have seen him in concert 25 years ago or so, but age hasn't been kind at all to his voice, I think he should retire.

dhoff
09-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Ramones at Bond International Casino, 79?
Damien Rice at Radio City Music Hall, 2005?
The Grateful Dead, the first night at the Philly Spectrum in 1985, or perhaps Kaiser Memorial Stadium Chinese New Year, 1986 (was arrested after that show, but who wasn't?) Oh crap, perhaps with Bob Dylan at Alpine Valley in 86
Bill Dixon at Robison House on the Bennington College Campus 1986

man it's hard to pick

DonH
09-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I've been to a lot of great concerts over the years (I love music), but the 3 that I were my favorites were:
1) Bruce Springsteen at the Oakdale Theater in 1996 doing his acoustic Ghost of Tom Joad show.I loved it.... I almost did'nt go, but decided to at the last minute. My girlfriend (now wife) and I bought tickets from a paranoid scalper who sold me great seats at face value because he thought I was a cop!

2) YES at the Oakdale in 1998. Drank my ass off before the show with some really good friends. Loved the music and knew every word they sang. I used to listen to the Yessongs album 24/7 and they basically played that album.

3) Saw Roger Waters last fall doing The Wall tour in Hartford. I have always loved The Wall, this concert I will not forget.

L84dinr
09-25-2011, 11:31 PM
I saw 2nd Chapter of Acts in Ventura CA back in 79 or 80 and they were good, but for some reason most Christian bands did not and still don't have the sound quality of most secular bands, and this applies not only live in concert but also on CD's. Please note the usage of the word most, I didn't say all. The best sound quality Christian rock CD I ever heard was POD, I never saw them in concert though. When I speak of sound quality I'm not speaking about the performance, I'm speaking about how the music sounds to my ears.

I saw Petra in Waco back during this time period, (early eighties). They had a new sound system that was outstanding. Part of the change was the speakers were suspended from the "ceiling", i was used to seeing/hearing speakers stacked on the floor.
The older christian music, whether vinyl, then cd, was a different sound... but when there wasnt alot too listen too, you just made do, i was just happy there was an alternative to the rock/pop scene.

beeatnik
09-26-2011, 01:01 AM
So many:
Gang of Four 83
The Fall 83
Sitting in front of Elton Jones' drum set
Chucho Valdes in a tiny club when he first came to the US.
Benny Carter and Phil Woods
Pollini on an all-Chopin program
Andy Statman

Hard to choose!

Wow just wow.

I would trade Radiohead at the Greek Theater in LA for the Fall and Husker Du at their peak. Although that was a pretty special show. Got offered 2 grand for a pair of mediocre seats.

oliver1850
09-26-2011, 01:12 AM
In 1984, I told the clerk at my local record store (Columbus OH) about Husker Du, and that they were playing soon in Cleveland. He didn't know anything about them, didn't like that punk rock sh!!, but went to the show and came back raving about Bob Mould's guitar playing. I was on the road and couldn't get there, never did get to see them.

rustychisel
09-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Ah, what the heck, thought of another one.

Rollins Band, circa 1993 at the Old Lion. The real deal band with Sim Cain etc.
8 white spots, no other light show. Sweaty torsos and white heat, hit the stage in top gear, never say never.

AAARRRGHGHGHGHGGHGHG- MAZING!

How about Sheilah Chandra at the first WOMADelaide (she provided vocals for Monsoon's Never So Lonely). A still summer's evening, about 10pm in the Botanic Park and utterly spellbinding.

froze
09-26-2011, 08:50 AM
The older christian music, whether vinyl, then cd, was a different sound... but when there wasnt alot too listen too, you just made do, i was just happy there was an alternative to the rock/pop scene.

I hear you, and know where your coming from, but not all rock/pop music is bad, you do have to be selective. I have a lot of rock music and none of it is worse then a PG rating, and I bet you watch movies that are at least PG13 and probably watch R rated movies since that's what most top rated movies are rated. Personally I think most of today's R rated movies would have gotten an X rating 40 years ago. And somehow society has changed for the better? But I think it's an odd thing when someone goes around saying they only listen to Christian music but then go to a PG13 or R rated movie, it's kind of hypocritical; not saying L84 your doing that, but a lot do.

hybridbellbaske
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Ah, what the heck, thought of another one.

Rollins Band, circa 1993 at the Old Lion. The real deal band with Sim Cain etc.
8 white spots, no other light show. Sweaty torsos and white heat, hit the stage in top gear, never say never.

AAARRRGHGHGHGHGGHGHG- MAZING!

How about Sheilah Chandra at the first WOMADelaide (she provided vocals for Monsoon's Never So Lonely). A still summer's evening, about 10pm in the Botanic Park and utterly spellbinding.

Sheila Chandra- yes! First Womad- yes! I was there. Wonderful. If my memory serves... Peter Gabriel was also on that night- that was great too.

For another spellbinding Womad moment-a few years later... Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan,

noonan1970
09-26-2011, 09:48 PM

Would have loved to have scene the Replacements!

beeatnik
09-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Would have loved to have scene the Replacements!

X covered I Will Dare. I wonder if they first heard the tune touring with the Replacements since the demo was recorded before Let It Be was released.

BillG
09-27-2011, 06:28 AM
I would trade Radiohead at the Greek Theater in LA for the Fall and Husker Du at their peak.

The Fall were touring Hex Enduction Hour -- two drummers, Mark E. Smith full on. It was world historical. There were about 150 people in the audience and a lot of them were watching giant video screens showing Cure videos on the side of the room (Danceteria!). I then saw them a year and a half later touring Perverted by Language and they were nearly as great.

The Husker Du show was a special Sunday matinee all ages show they agreed to do in a middle school! Zen Arcade wasn't out and they played Eight Miles High. It was mostly hardcore kids and they played amid the lunch benches and lunch service carts. Grant singing "Diane" was so heartbreaking...

Speaking of hardcore kids one of the things I love the most about Henry Rollins is how he would go jogging before shows and take the kids. I miss that world! (I guess I'm old!)

pjm
09-27-2011, 10:12 AM

cheers
Wow, am I jealous. Would have loved to see that. Missing DiMeola I see, but Gambale is good and JL Ponte!! Are you kidding me??! I see they've moved on to Asia. I've got the blu-ray they did a couple of years ago with Al and its fantastic. Incredible sound.

DRZRM
09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Hard to pick just one, top 5:

Fishbone - Irving Plaza - NYC 1984ish (first time they played NYC)
The Smiths - Beacon Theater NYC - 1982 (again, dates fuzzy, Billy Brag opened)
Rocket From the Crypt - Lupo's Providence (opening for The Foo Fighters) 1997?
The Specials - Terminal 5 - NYC 2010 (missed them in 1982)
Chico Science & Naçao Zumbi - Rio de Janeiro - 1996 (just before Chico Science was killed in a car accident)

and just to throw in a band that never quite hit, if you ever had the chance to see The Good Guys from Richmond VA in the late 80s--I saw them at CBGBs-- you'd likely not forget it...I was sure they were going to blow up.

spamjoshua
09-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Iron Maiden, Hammersmith Odeon, 86 or 87. The sold out 5 nights in a row. The Somewhere in Time tour.

Pink Floyd, Paris Orpheum, 88 I think.

Maceo Parker, the new 9:30 in DC, mid 90s. Every show he played.

Ween, the new 9:30 in DC, mid 90s. Closed with a "Hot for Teacher" encore.

Sonic Youth, the new 9:30 in DC, mid 90s.

Yo Yo Ma playing the Bach Suites at Washington Cathedral, DC. There were empty seats, which was almost as stupefying as the quality of the performance, and the fun of the setting and acoustics.

Pearl Jam at the Univ. of MD College Park.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, anywhere I could, anytime I could.

New Mastersounds, the Independent SF, and their late show at High Sierra, Quincy, CA.

Fixed
09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow, am I jealous. Would have loved to see that. Missing DiMeola I see, but Gambale is good and JL Ponte!! Are you kidding me??! I see they've moved on to Asia. I've got the blu-ray they did a couple of years ago with Al and its fantastic. Incredible sound.

the crowd was great a full house standing ovations after every piece ..
i found myself yelling bravo more than once during the night ..
r.t.f. i have to say they were all great ..stanley clark is something to hear on acoustic bass with lenny white on drums( tight as a snare drum's head ) imho
cheers

Iowegian
09-27-2011, 01:10 PM
The ones I remember.... :rolleyes:
King Sunny Ade in Denver
Clifton Chenier (senior) RIP, at the Union Bar in Mpls
Hot Rize in some little hall/church in St. Paul

I had a friend at school who knew the guys in Husker Du so I saw them when they were just playing around Macalester College but I can't say I was into it.

I also just missed a show that bar Prince played at First Avenue in Mpls where they did a pre-tour warm-up show. They just closed the doors and he came up on stage and did his act for whoever happened to be there. I heard all about it the next day from some guys at work as I was planning to go that night but never made it.

jmeloy
09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Well my best old school show was Jimi Hendrix at Municipal Auditorium in KC on 11/1/68 when I was 14. I still remember that the entire structure just shook for 2+ hours.

Best recent show was Wilco at the Palladium in Dallas last year. Just amazing musicians. Tix to three shows in next 3 months :-)

climbgdh
09-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Best in recent memory is last Nov shows by Allman Brothers @ Orpheum in Boston. Had center front row seats both nights. Gregg's vocals were a bit weak at times but considering he only had liver transplant 6 months before not bad. Warren Haynes & Derek Trucks were unbelievable on guitars. Otiel was incredible on bass. Spent a buttload on beer @ $12 per.

maunahaole
09-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Saw the Talking Heads in 1980 @ the Orpheum in Boston. About 8 rows back on the left. This was the tour that supported Remain in Light, where they had Adrian Belew on guitar and the P-Funk folks in the band. They started the set with 5 on stage (orig 4 + Adrian Belew) and slowly built up the band to 9, which was crowded on that small stage. Psych Furs opened up and they were pretty good. The Heads were just off the hook. A whole lot of sound poured off that stage in waves. A great show that I did not want to end.

beeatnik
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
The Fall were touring Hex Enduction Hour -- two drummers, Mark E. Smith full on. It was world historical. There were about 150 people in the audience and a lot of them were watching giant video screens showing Cure videos on the side of the room (Danceteria!). I then saw them a year and a half later touring Perverted by Language and they were nearly as great.

The Husker Du show was a special Sunday matinee all ages show they agreed to do in a middle school! Zen Arcade wasn't out and they played Eight Miles High. It was mostly hardcore kids and they played amid the lunch benches and lunch service carts. Grant singing "Diane" was so heartbreaking...

Speaking of hardcore kids one of the things I love the most about Henry Rollins is how he would go jogging before shows and take the kids. I miss that world! (I guess I'm old!)

A few years ago, after, I believe, the 2nd ATP fell apart, most scheduled bands scrambled to find alternative venues/slots. The Fall ended up playing the The Echo on a Friday night and Wire played the next day at Spaceland. Both shows were in small, crowded, cheesy looking spaces instead of the larger, more historic venues where ATP was going to take place. It gave me a sense of what it must have been like to see the greats in London or New York in the late 70s or early 80s.

I remember lunchtime hardcore shows...

froze
09-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Well my best old school show was Jimi Hendrix at Municipal Auditorium in KC on 11/1/68 when I was 14. I still remember that the entire structure just shook for 2+ hours.

That must have been one awesome concert, I wanted to go to a Hendrix concert so bad but he never came close to where I lived.

Did you by chance listen to his Valley of Netune CD? I wish I bought the vinyl instead but I didn't have record player till 6 months ago, about 3 months after I got the CD. Couple of the songs are not so good but for the most part it's a really good CD.

rab
09-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Definitely hard to pick a single favorite, so many were good for their own individual/unique reasons.

Favorite that come to mind at the moment:

The Replacements - Philadelphia 1989 (?)
Pearl Jam (opening act - really pretty good)/Smashing Pumpkins (booed off stage after Corgan kept whining about stuff being thrown on stage)/Red Hot Chili Peppers (as they were just getting ready to hit mainstream bigtime) - State College, PA 1992
Suicidal Tendencies/Danzig/Metallica - Allentown, PA 1994 or 95? Wasn't a huge Metallica fan but free tickets and found out how good they really can be live.
Reverend Horton Heat w/Los Straightjackets - Charleston, SC 2001
Circle Jerks (w/o US Bombs opener) - Atlanta, GA 2003 or 04
Made me feel old but also felt like things had come full circle in some strange way...

Russell
09-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Springsteen, 1975 in Norfolk, VA. Almost 4 hours of pure joy.

tele
09-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Blues Traveler 1990 Rhodie Island
hours and hours of underage drinking and sweating--

Russell
09-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Hard to pick just one, top 5:

Fishbone - Irving Plaza - NYC 1984ish (first time they played NYC)
The Smiths - Beacon Theater NYC - 1982 (again, dates fuzzy, Billy Brag opened)
Rocket From the Crypt - Lupo's Providence (opening for The Foo Fighters) 1997?
The Specials - Terminal 5 - NYC 2010 (missed them in 1982)
Chico Science & Naçao Zumbi - Rio de Janeiro - 1996 (just before Chico Science was killed in a car accident)

and just to throw in a band that never quite hit, if you ever had the chance to see The Good Guys from Richmond VA in the late 80s--I saw them at CBGBs-- you'd likely not forget it...I was sure they were going to blow up.
I saw that Smiths' tour in DC...Johnny Marr's guitar playing was awesome

Russell
09-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Fugazi. Any of 'em.
For sure....I have seen a bunch of Fugazi shows, but one of my favs was Fugazi/Soulside at Fort Reno. Don't remember the year, but it was over 10 years ago.

DHallerman
09-28-2011, 04:22 PM

I was going to read through this whole thread before replying, but seeing this, a big "me too" to RT -- for me, a different solo Richard Thompson concert at the Tarrytown Music Hall a couple of years ago.

In addition to the great guitar playing and wonderful songs, I've never seen a musical performer so comfortable in his own skin on stage and someone who clearly enjoys being in front of an audience.

In another musical vein, I'd add a solo Keith Jarrett concert at Carnegie Hall, also a couple of years ago. His improv piano concerts are legendary for a good reason, with his fantastic mix of the slow ethereal and pounding rhythms. Too bad ECM hasn't come out with a live recording of that concert (yet).

Dave, who also remembers an Alison Krauss and Union Station concert at the Beacon Theater where the contrast between her great sense of humor and the sad sad songs was part of the fun and something she poked fun at herself about too

DHallerman
09-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Never listened to the Violent Femmes, but about seven years ago, we bought the bassist's coop apartment in Brooklyn.

Dave, who sold the apartment about five years ago

beeatnik
09-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I was going to read through this whole thread before replying, but seeing this, a big "me too" to RT -- for me, a different solo Richard Thompson concert at the Tarrytown Music Hall a couple of years ago.

In addition to the great guitar playing and wonderful songs, I've never seen a musical performer so comfortable in his own skin on stage and someone who clearly enjoys being in front of an audience.

In another musical vein, I'd add a solo Keith Jarrett concert at Carnegie Hall, also a couple of years ago. His improv piano concerts are legendary for a good reason, with his fantastic mix of the slow ethereal and pounding rhythms. Too bad ECM hasn't come out with a live recording of that concert (yet).

Dave, who also remembers an Alison Krauss and Union Station concert at the Beacon Theater where the contrast between her great sense of humor and the sad sad songs was part of the fun and something she poked fun at herself about too

Richard Thompson's stage banter is almost as good as his singing and guitar playing. Saw him at UCLA Royce Hall a few years back for the 1000 Years of Popular Music show. My favorite history lesson ever. And I was a history major.

Now if someone would just post about being at the Koln Concert...

rounder
09-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Best venue where you show up with no pre-conceived expectations of seeing anything other than crafts and stuff, but see something memorable was the arts and crafts fair in Frederick MD...saw Doc and Merle Watson (2), John Prine and Steve Goodman, and Leon Redbone.

19wisconsin64
09-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Summer of 1983, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, very small stage outdoors.

Magic.

Every person in the audience knew every word to every song.

Everyone danced.

I was with my first love, Annie.

Even the Milwaukee Journal (local newspaper) wrote an article on how special it was.

Seems like it was just....

......it's amazing how many great bands and shows were mentioned in this thread, lots of stuff to explore...thanks all!

6mt
09-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Michael Jackson's world tour circa 96 or 95. I was 13. the best ever. everything else after that was kind of lame in comparison, but again, I haven't seen all that many concerts after that.

jlwdm
09-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Lots of great concerts in Seattle many years ago.

Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Rolling Stones
Van Morrison

Favorites at Eagles Auditorium - smaller venue with festival seating:

Cream
But really enjoyed two original Fleetwood Mac concerts in the Peter Green Days -an out growth of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. The change from a blues/rock band with 3 great guitarists to a pop group is still a great disappointment.

Jeff

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
I hate, seriously I hate, Beck! I hate his music on the radio or at any of my friend's place. BUT I saw him live May 1997, and I was memorized! He is an ACE performer! I still hate his music, but his live show goes down as #1 ... past all my favorite bands.
Beck live and Beck in the studio, two different animals.

R2D2
09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Seen a lot of shows but the best time I ever had was Edgar Winter's White Trash opening for the J Geils Band in the early 70's .
WOWO what fun that was....................

emckee1
10-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Jason and the Scorchers - almost every show is incredibly high energy. Typically in small venues so the band connects well with the audience. Saw them first in 1983 and last in 2010 - they still have it!

Also, saw Jerry Lee Lewis in 1986ish in a small bar in Memphis. He played his whole catalog and took requests from the crowd. The only thing he didn't do was set his piano on fire at the end.

Fixed
10-01-2011, 08:17 AM
my son
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq8-N7ljksA
cheers

lonoeightysix
10-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Radiohead, in 1997 for the OK Computer tour. State Theatre, Detroit MI. Under the correct pharmaceutical conditions, of course.

oliver1850
10-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Jason and the Scorchers - almost every show is incredibly high energy. Typically in small venues so the band connects well with the audience. Saw them first in 1983 and last in 2010 - they still have it!

Also, saw Jerry Lee Lewis in 1986ish in a small bar in Memphis. He played his whole catalog and took requests from the crowd. The only thing he didn't do was set his piano on fire at the end.

Jason's mom lives right up the road from me. I talked to him once on the road. He was riding a 1960s fat tire bike, fresh from the barn. Nice guy, very laid back. He doesn't play around here too much, but I've caught the band twice in the Quad Cities. One pretty large outdoor show had a wire mesh fence between the crowd and the stage. Jason came down with his pliers and cut the fence so the crowd could get up next to the stage. Last local show was a Farmer Jason show.

rounder
10-01-2011, 12:13 PM
my son
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq8-N7ljksA
cheers

Good stuff Fixed.

brook_63
10-01-2011, 08:24 PM

Honorable mention: Chickasaw Mudd Puppies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvDEQtalMA&sns=em) (in Chicago bar) , REM (Santa Barbara Bowl during Fables tour, I thnk), Missing Persons (at US Festival with Terry Bozio on drums. Concert also had awesome performances from U2, David Bowie and Pretenders) and Beautiful South (at Bimbos 365).[/QUOTE]

Metal day with Ozzy, Triumph, Crue, Priest, Scorps and Halen to close..
lol
had a great time all 3 days...keg venison and too much scenery to count.

Louis
10-01-2011, 10:58 PM
One pretty large outdoor show had a wire mesh fence between the crowd and the stage.

A sure sign that you're in for a grand ol' time. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

wooly
10-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I can't pin point one so here's a few:

- The Alarm - 1984 at the UC Irvine's Bren Center
- Foster the People - two weeks ago at the Galaxy Theatre in Costa Mesa, CA
- Black Eyed Peas opening up for U2 a couple of years ago at the Rose Bowl (LA)
- Public Image Limited - Bren Center around 1985. Johnny Rotten was CRAZY. When they played a few Sex Pistol songs the place erupted.
- Foo Fighters at the LA Forum in 2009
- Green Day at the LA Forum in 2009

Minstrie
10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
No doubt: Dixie Dregs at the GA Theatre in Athens, 1979, extended guitar/drums duet on Cruise Control, Steve Morse and Rod Morgenstein, sublime. But so was the whole show. A friend of mine was friends with Allen Sloan, the violinist, and got them to play in the Medical College of GA student center for homecoming in 1980 or so. Student body was expecting a dance band, so midway into the first set, all but about 50 people had left, but the Dregs finished out the whole two sets for the loyal few, and hung out with us afterwards. Morse and West were from Augusta. Sloan ended up becoming a doc.

Happy and Artie Traum, opened for It's a Beautiful Day, Penn State U. Rec Hall, 1971, Earl's Crab Shack has stuck in my mind ever since.

The Band at Summer Jam, Watkins Glen, NY, 1973 or so. Yeah, they were better than the Dead and ABB that day. but the Bros were still reeling from the loss of Duane and Berry. I regrettably left before hearing Garcia play with the Bros on Mountain Jam.

ABB, Macon Coliseum, April 1971. Too short a show, but the Bros were tuckered out from touring, yet of course Duane never played a bad lick in his (short) life. Glad I got to see him play guitar for once after seeing him a bunch riding his chopper around town for a few years when I was in high school. Macon was a cool scene '69-'71 with Capricorn Records, never could tell who'd show up to play at the free concerts Central City Park on Sunday afternoons.

This is a laugher, but Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes at the Macon Auditorium in spring 1970 (maybe it was '71) were pretty good.

bheight1
10-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Lollapalooza #2:

Main Stage:
Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam, Ten tour
Soundgarden
Ministry
?

Side Stage:
Jim Rose Circus (Best live performance.)
Rage Against The Machine
Stone Temple Pilots
Porno For Pyros
Cypress Hill
House Of Pain
et al

Any Rush or Genesis show in the 80's

mso
10-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Stones 75 - LA Forum

Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare. I think it was 1976 but you understand why I'm confused, it was the 70's :beer:

and Tina Turner's comeback 80's - The Greek Theatre...on my feet the whole concert!

DarkStar
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Led Zeppelin '75 ten rows back, spellbinding.
Lou Reed '77, small club, right against the stage. Man was intense.
Roy Buchanan in '88, five feet from the stage.
Gatemouth Brown, another small club called G Sharp.
Danny Gatton, Montreal Jazz festival, maybe '91 or '92. Spotted a number of local hotshot guitar players with their jaws hanging open.

GRAVELBIKE
10-04-2011, 05:38 PM

Honorable mention: Chickasaw Mudd Puppies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvDEQtalMA&sns=em) (in Chicago bar) , REM (Santa Barbara Bowl during Fables tour, I thnk), Missing Persons (at US Festival with Terry Bozio on drums. Concert also had awesome performances from U2, David Bowie and Pretenders) and Beautiful South (at Bimbos 365).

I am supremely jealous that you got to see The Beautiful South. Was Jacqui Abbott performing?

crownjewelwl
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
The Roots
The Maritime

Before all this Jimmy Kimmel bull$hit

Vancouverdave
10-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Seen a lot of shows but the best time I ever had was Edgar Winter's White Trash opening for the J Geils Band in the early 70's .
WOWO what fun that was....................
Saw that bill in Santa Monica, ca. 1972. J. Geils was a KILLER live blues band then.

GRAVELBIKE
10-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Yaz(oo) re-union tour, Oakland, 2008
I am a huge Alison Moyet fan, and I figured that this would be my one chance to see her perform live (I'd missed her solo performances in previous years). It was, in a word, amazing. Her singing was fantastic. Make no doubt about it, the woman can sing (the fact that her live record is titled "No Overdubs" should tell you something). Her animated performance was an interesting contrast--and complement--to Vince's quiet stage demeanor. BTW, I think Clarke is one of the most under-recognized/appreciated pioneers of electronica. Well worth the ticket price ($75) and airfare from Colorado to Oakland.

Peter Hook & The Light, Denver, 2011
This took place at the Bluebird a couple of weeks ago. Peter Hook and his band performed the entire Unknown Pleasures record live (along with several other Joy Division songs). Joy Division never toured the US (Ian Curtis hanged himself shortly before the start of their first US tour), so I figured this was as close as I was going to get to seeing Joy Division's music performed live. I had extremely high expectations, and Hook & company did not disappoint. I've always respected JD's recorded works, but I wanted to feel the "spark" of their live performances. Sure, Hooky isn't Ian Curtis, but the man did Curtis' work proud. When they closed the second encore with Ceremony, I thought the place would explode.

moose8
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Green Day in a small town in Spain called Manises in 1993 I believe, though may have been 1994. Just before Dookie, but like the 50 Spanish kids there knew all the words to every song, and the guys from the band invited everyone up on stage to sing and dance with them, and even let some kids play the guitar parts. The lead singer was really nice to talk to, and was just having a great time and getting everyone else to as well. It was an extremely positive, nice vibe, and they rocked what was basically a high school gym with hardly anyone there.

Flaming Lips at Bank of America Pavilion in Boston in 2005 were pretty awesome, and really knew how to create an experience that brought everyone together - almost mystical, at the risk of sounding cheesy.

Beck in 1996 at Dublin Castle in Dublin, Ireland, though this one was colored by the fact that I got to go backstage and meet John Squire, guitarist for the Stone Roses, and Smokey Hormel, who is awesome in just about everything he is involved with, because I had helped someone out who had been robbed who turned out to be very connected in the music world - it was karma at its best.

Jonathan Richman at the Knitting Factory shortly after September 11th. It was one of the first things going on in downtown NYC shortly after that horrible event, and he really did a good job creating a feeling of hope and love. I've probably seen him at least ten times, and he is always good, but the combination of time and place made this show really special to me.

Shellac at the knitting factory in 2002 was also awesome, as they played a show at like 9:00 a.m. on a Sunday, and almost no one was there, and they had bought dozens of krispy kremes, and sent the audience home with them. They announced the show at the last minute because the demand for the Saturday night show had been out of control. My roommates were psyched when I showed up with two dozen donuts after the show.

Jane's Addiction, Portland Maine civic center in 1991- this was pre-internet, so it was like a bit of manna from heaven for a kid in Maine to get to see one of the bands he had on tape and read about in magazines.

Ween at Club Babyhead in Providence in the fall of 1994 - they were unbelievably awesome, and continue to be. I've seen them many times since, but that show was great.

Sexmob with Ralph Carney at Tonic in NYC - they were both unbelievable.

mauerschau
10-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by DarkStar

Led Zeppelin [...] Lou Reed [...] Roy Buchanan [...] Gatemouth Brown [...] Danny Gatton

A handle like that, and not a Dead concert on the list!

beeatnik
10-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Yaz(oo) re-union tour, Oakland, 2008
I am a huge Alison Moyet fan, and I figured that this would be my one chance to see her perform live (I'd missed her solo performances in previous years). It was, in a word, amazing. Her singing was fantastic. Make no doubt about it, the woman can sing (the fact that her live record is titled "No Overdubs" should tell you something). Her animated performance was an interesting contrast--and complement--to Vince's quiet stage demeanor. BTW, I think Clarke is one of the most under-recognized/appreciated pioneers of electronica. Well worth the ticket price ($75) and airfare from Colorado to Oakland.

Peter Hook & The Light, Denver, 2011
This took place at the Bluebird a couple of weeks ago. Peter Hook and his band performed the entire Unknown Pleasures record live (along with several other Joy Division songs). Joy Division never toured the US (Ian Curtis hanged himself shortly before the start of their first US tour), so I figured this was as close as I was going to get to seeing Joy Division's music performed live. I had extremely high expectations, and Hook & company did not disappoint. I've always respected JD's recorded works, but I wanted to feel the "spark" of their live performances. Sure, Hooky isn't Ian Curtis, but the man did Curtis' work proud. When they closed the second encore with Ceremony, I thought the place would explode.

I should have gone just for Ceremony. Passed on the whole thing because I was so underwhelmed by New Order doing Joy Division tunes during their last tour. I mean, they were playing their own songs but they played them like party anthems.

Also, funny thing, I've been on a big Erasure kick lately. Turns out they're touring...

wooly
10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Also, funny thing, I've been on a big Erasure kick lately. Turns out they're touring...

Funny - my wife just saw Erasure last weekend at the Paladium. She said it was a great show.

I forgot to mention another epic show: X at the galaxy theatre in 2002 (New Years Eve). Saw them again at Coachella a couple of years ago. They're getting long in the tooth but they still kill it.