PDA

View Full Version : Saw a Baum for the first time today.

EvanOT
09-22-2011, 10:34 PM
I ran into an employee last week and he said I should come in and check it out (despite my ability to afford anything they sell).

So today on a ride a friend and I made a small detour and swung by Above Category (https://www.abovecategorycycling.com/) in Mill Valley on my ride today. We got a full tour and talked bikes for awhile, everyone there is super nice.

Apparently they are the first (and only) Baum dealer in the states (along with Moots, Pegoretti, Parlee, and Pinarello) and....wow, those bikes are amazing.
They had two set up in their showroom that apparently belong to the owner, one in Steel and one in Titanium.
I wish I had pictures but I didn't want to be "that guy" but the build quality is unbelievable and the paint is beyond description. Any and all seams in the paint can't be felt it just feels buttery smooth and the welds are perfect.

If you are in the bay area I STRONGLY suggest you check out Above Category in Mill Valley.

roguedog
09-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Agreed. The guys there are pretty cool. I like to stop by and just dream. They have really cool builds. And I love their gear.

Chad has so many different flavors/rides now. So envious. And Kris, even though he's a bad ass rider, is totally cool and chill as is Woody. Well, I'm sure they all ride better/faster than me.. :o

EvanOT
09-22-2011, 10:42 PM
I talked to some gentleman that had long sideburns and glasses...I couldn't remember his name but I know he rides a flat black dogma with super record.
Super nice guy, showed us around and talked to us for awhile even though we both made it clear that we can't afford anything in the store.

roguedog
09-22-2011, 10:45 PM
That was probably Woody. But then I haven't been in there in a while (don't want to wear out my welcome) but it coulda been someone new too.

jwb96
09-23-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm demo-ing a Parlee out of Above Category next Friday. So now I have even more to reason to be excited. It's going to be a hard wait . . .

ultraman6970
09-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Australians make good stuff.

anomaly
09-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Agreed. The guys there are pretty cool. I like to stop by and just dream. They have really cool builds. And I love their gear.

Chad has so many different flavors/rides now. So envious. And Kris, even though he's a bad ass rider, is totally cool and chill as is Woody. Well, I'm sure they all ride better/faster than me.. :o
The ti Baum is easily one of the most impressive bikes I have ever seen. Each tube is custom shaped and butted. I don't think anyone, even Firefly, does a modern bike better in ti. That said the price is just shy of $9k for frame, fork, headset, seat post and stem.
Both Kris and Woody are very very fast, as well. Kris just won the Masters TT National Championship and Woody has some damned impressive climb times on Strava.

anomaly
09-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm demo-ing a Parlee out of Above Category next Friday. So now I have even more to reason to be excited. It's going to be a hard wait . . .
Climb up Tam from Fairfax on BoFax to Alpine Dam. You spend your time climbing through a redwood forest instead of descending through it at 30+mph.

mattsbeers
09-24-2011, 10:24 AM
They look great and I love their philosophy on fit and handling but those prices......:eek:

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-25-2011, 09:08 AM
https://abovecategorycycling.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/corretto_gta_wsr_1.jpg
I haven't lusted for something like I have lusted for this bike in a long time. And with the correct groupset. F-ing dreamy.

yakstone
09-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Now that is a dream ride just like it sits.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-25-2011, 09:19 AM
A two wheeled "Gumare" if I ever saw one. Stunning.