PDA

View Full Version : the jerk went mountain biking today.

jerk
07-17-2005, 09:23 PM
so the jerk and his pals went for a fast, hard road ride this moring. 100km and a stupid fast average. ran into climb90210 out there and caught a glimpse of his awesome ottrott which was cool.....anyway, later in the day some other pals convinced the jerk to go mountain biking. the jerk has not been off-road for a long, long time but figured it would be fun so he dusted off the pegoretti pogo-stick and went to put some look pedals on it....the jerk's pal intercepted him and told him that was really dumb and that he should borrow some bmx flat pedals....so there was the jerk in sneakers and white giordana bib shorts and a stupid helmet riding a grundig world cup bike 6 miles to the trail head.....the flat pedals sucked on the road....riding three miles an hour behind a bunch of pie eaters on bicycles with 6 inches of travel sucked even worse but was at least funny.....

but the jerk had a blast in the woods....and his feet kept popping off the stupid flat pedals, and he would have been much, much better off with the looks on the bike, and the jerk has few, if any technical skills but makes up for it in being a lying, cheating treachorous scum-bag with a penchant for pain....anyway, it was a blast, only crashed once and mountain biking is alot of fun.

jerk

cs124
07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
...and mountain biking is alot of fun.

jerk

...until you try to chase one of those fully suspended pie-eaters down a super fast double track chute, lock-up, run wide and crash into a ditch, ending up with broken ribs and a bar-end shaped welt on your sternum...

don't ask me how I know this...

but yeah, when you don't hurt yourself it's a blast

jerk
07-17-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah, funny thing is that's sort of what happened today when the jerk crashed....except the jerk doesn't rock the bar-ends and didn't break any ribs. maybe that's the secret.

jerk

cs124
07-17-2005, 09:48 PM
yeah, I've been warned off bar-ends before but I just can't seem to climb without them. 12 months on rib still hurts when it's cold, like after yesterday mornings 7am 5 degC fast bunch training ride.

was that pogo stick the lovely silver thing that you posted pics of last year.

Ginger
07-17-2005, 10:43 PM
My old ACL will tell you that bar ends are evil incarnate.

Glad someone is having fun crashing in the woods!

Climb01742
07-18-2005, 04:43 AM
the reason the jerk and his pals only caught a glimpse of my ottrott? cause they were flying and i was crawling. da jerk and his boys can lay down a mean sunday morning ride. they were merciful two weeks ago and mellowed it out a bit to let this geezer hang on. know this...the senor ain't all mouth and no legs. but when they flew past me, the did create a nice little breeze...thanks. :D

William
07-18-2005, 05:08 AM
12 months on rib still hurts when it's cold, like after yesterday mornings 7am 5 degC fast bunch training ride.

Ribs can take a long time to heal completely. What really sucks is your so called "friends" trying to purposely make you laugh when you have broken and/or cracked ribs. Pure H-E-Double toothpicks....hilarious, but he11.

William

zap
07-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Way to go Jerk. Good to see that your adding a little spice to your life.

But platform pedals?

MTB riding is fun. Plus you don't feel the need to beat the *rap out of that s*up*d motorist that just tried to kill you.

davids
07-18-2005, 12:04 PM
jerk,

Where'd ya ride?

I've been off my mtb for months, but promised to take a friend's teenage nephew for a ride in the Blue Hill tomorrow evening. Last night, I pulled the Klein off its peg and pumped up the tires. It felt good just hefting the bike - It's gonna be a fun evening!

It'll be interesting to see if my skills (as they are...) can keep pace with a teenage boy's energy.

weisan
07-18-2005, 01:28 PM
It's downhill all the way from this point forward.... :D

Too Tall
07-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Good story. Hey, fair is fair. Make the pie eaters come out for a road bike ride on dirt trails. Brings out the skills and lessens technology. Agree, on a dry day the looks would be OTAY...been there done that.

Kane
07-19-2005, 10:52 PM
My old ACL will tell you that bar ends are evil incarnate.

Glad someone is having fun crashing in the woods!

Hello M A/Ginger! Sorry to hear about your crash. I haven't been around to lay out rehab advice of late, but I'm pretty good on rib rehab. If the fracture is on your chest (vs. your back), stick your thumb in the groove around the fracture while you twist, turn, and breath deep.

This will work the intercostal muscle around the fracture site. The tendon on a rib muscle (intercostal) is quite short. The resolution of healing (inflammation) is fibrosis. The 'deep tissue' work will help resolve this problem.

Also grab the skin over the injured area and lift if up while twisting, turning, and breathing. This will loosen up the superficial fascia and free up the underlying structures. The superficial fascia is often seen when you peel the skin on a chicken. It is the white fibrous stuff that forms the anchor points for the arteries, veins, lymphatic vessels and nerves.

This should help.

cheers,

Kane

Ginger
07-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks Kane! Good to see you about. The fish oil did wonders for the pain in the knee during recovery! Thanks again!

You always have the most interesting and um occasionally icky advice. :)

WadePatton
12-19-2007, 06:29 PM
...stupid flat pedals, and he would have been much, much better off with the looks on the bike, ... mountain biking is alot of fun.
jerk
My first clipless pedals were LOOK ATB pedals! I'll dig 'em up and take a pic. Same as the 80's vintage road pedal with mud windows in the front and some ridges on the bottom--for those in-between times. Same cleats.

of course mountain biking is a lot of fun. think I'll get some in the morning.

Grant McLean
12-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I was at a Specialized product launch/dealer meeting demo deal in Montreal
in the fall. We had some rides. On the second day, our group was supposed
to go for a road spin in the morning, so i had my road gear with me.

We pick up the bikes... and it's enduro's... you know, with the BB higher than
the hubs, and like 17 inches of travel? So anyway, i'm in my carnac M5 carbon
shoes and my HM handlaid carbon/ti Keo pedals tromping through this freakin
brush trail getting scratched by thorns when everyone realizes we're soooo lost.

I'd have traded anything for some flats and a pair of trainers!

-g

Fixed
12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
mt bikers hmm... road riders can drop a cat mt bikers can kill a cat
imho
cheers :beer:
peg mt/bike only the big J could have one of those
merry christmas

coylifut
12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
My first clipless pedals were LOOK ATB pedals! I'll dig 'em up and take a pic. Same as the 80's vintage road pedal with mud windows in the front and some ridges on the bottom--for those in-between times. Same cleats.

of course mountain biking is a lot of fun. think I'll get some in the morning.

Wade,

If you go, make to not make us wait 2 1/2 years to hear how it went.

rinconryder
12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
The key to MTB'ing is control the crash, don't let the crash control you. You will crash. If you don't, you're not doing it right.

Blue Jays
12-19-2007, 08:58 PM
It's long been my belief that cross-training the two disciplines has improved both my mountainbiking and roadriding capabilities.
The demands are so unique to each that the combination creates a more comprehensive and well-balanced cyclist.

Fixed
12-19-2007, 09:13 PM
the kinda riding i do everyday is more like mt. biking than road riding
im ho

ch ee rs me
r
ry
christmas

BumbleBeeDave
12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Don't feel bad if you crashed. At least you didn't end up with a brake lever stuck in your brain like that poor dude in Japan on the other thread!

BBD

Mud
12-20-2007, 07:06 AM
but I prefer the flats off -road. But I have tried every pedal (well maybe there are a couple) and they all have a point where they do not release. They all will jam whether it is mud(?), Moab crud, dirt, ice. You name it, it will eventually stop your release. I just gave up and do not want to get hurt anymore. I use BMX flats and wear shin guards.

WadePatton
12-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Wade,

If you go, make to not make us wait 2 1/2 years to hear how it went.
?

Went primotacular! Same old ride, but new focus--and I'm building some base, so I have to take it easy. note to self--put fender back on.

WadePatton
12-20-2007, 12:20 PM
but I prefer the flats off -road. But I have tried every pedal (well maybe there are a couple) and they all have a point where they do not release. They all will jam whether it is mud(?), Moab crud, dirt, ice. You name it, it will eventually stop your release. I just gave up and do not want to get hurt anymore. I use BMX flats and wear shin guards.

You might not have tried the Bebop. Never had a release problem and I've ridden them for years (road and trail). I've packed them full of mud from Helen GA-to Slatyfork WV. Have had to pick mud out to get in, but they've always released for me and they release both ways-unlike the frog.

WadePatton
12-20-2007, 12:33 PM
The key to MTB'ing is control the crash, don't let the crash control you. You will crash. If you don't, you're not doing it right.
Yep, gotta get some overthebars credits before the game counts.

Back in the day we considered it bad form to crash and not be in the lead--where the other rider(s) could witness and laugh and practice evasive maneuvers. It was equally bad form to run over the crasher or his equipment, but points were awarded if indeed that led to a pileup. :D

jchasse
12-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Pego MTB...mmmm, never seen one. Got any pics?

davids
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Pego MTB...mmmm, never seen one. Got any pics?
Yes (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=46971&postcount=2). I saw it in person. It was as pretty as it looks.

jerk
12-20-2007, 03:09 PM
who resurrects this shi'ite? thanks for the concern though.

jerk

2 years on I'm all healed up.

shoe
12-20-2007, 10:27 PM
it is that time of year again..all the roadies have been dustin off there mtb bikes....no tree is safe....then again i hit trees as well....i hit a tree so hard that this roadie guy was swearin he didn't need a helmet....he now wears one...jerk you doing any sick jumps....you guys have some good rocks up there to eat sh8t on as well i believe....dave

Bittersweet
12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
it is that time of year again..all the roadies have been dustin off there mtb bikes....no tree is safe....then again i hit trees as well....i hit a tree so hard that this roadie guy was swearin he didn't need a helmet....he now wears one...jerk you doing any sick jumps....you guys have some good rocks up there to eat sh8t on as well i believe....dave

All fitness and no skill certainly almost killed me this fall on my mtb. Roaring around on my mid-90s hardtail and hung the chainring up on a downed log just enough to go right over the bars. Cracked my helmet in half, crunched my neck and spine, and my right arm was numb for about 15 seconds. Rug burn from the helmet pad across my whole forehead. Idiot move. Freaked me out as I hadn't crashed that badly on anything in a long long time but unfortunately I still had a long way to ride to get home. Harden up and keep pedaling was the only option. I either have to ride that bike more or less.

shoe
12-21-2007, 08:40 AM
bs you know they make newer mountain bikes don't you...glad to hear you made it out alive...breath and push thats all it takes

Bittersweet
12-21-2007, 09:02 AM
bs you know they make newer mountain bikes don't you...glad to hear you made it out alive...breath and push thats all it takes

Yeah I know but I spent my cycling funds on my Ridley for d2r2 instead. That bike got a lot of miles on it this year and was a good choice. Plus the snickers I get out on the trails with my purple anodized bar ends makes it all worth it. I may dust off my Brancale helmet and really scare 'em.

shoe
12-21-2007, 10:02 AM
purple is sweet....