PDA

View Full Version : Dinotte Lights - mounting the batteries...

dd74
09-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Is there a better or at least more secure way to mount the batteries on the top tube? Or maybe there is a better place to mount the batteries on the frame - I don't know.

Anyway, mine are slipping all over my top tube, particularly on rough roads, despite how tight I have the Velcro strapped down. Does anyone have a remedy for keeping the batteries more secure?

Thanks

fiamme red
09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I velcro it to the side of the stem.

dd74
09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I'll try that, see if it fits on my stem. My taillight battery needs a new place, too, as my thighs hit it while pedaling.

Len J
09-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Is there a better or at least more secure way to mount the batteries on the top tube? Or maybe there is a better place to mount the batteries on the frame - I don't know.

Anyway, mine are slipping all over my top tube, particularly on rough roads, despite how tight I have the Velcro strapped down. Does anyone have a remedy for keeping the batteries more secure?

Thanks

I velcro mine to the TT....but in front of the rear brake cable guide so the strap is inside the cable against the TT. The guide keeps it from slipping.

See picture below.

Len

dd74
09-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Hmmm. I'll try that as well.

Anyone with any ideas about where to mount the tail light battery?

Ahneida Ride
09-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I have rack mounts .

I attach the rear light with a "C" clamp to the rack mounts.
My battery is in a larger "tool" kit bag. The bag is looped thru
the seat-post.

In the front, I store in a Brooks leather bag, battery and tool kit.

Len J
09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I ended up buying a Dinotte 300R taillight with the battery self contained to solve that problem.

Len

Dustin
09-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I commute using an Acorn handlebar bag. The chunky Dinotte battery fits perfectly in one of the bag's pockets.

I have not found an elegant setup for the rear light.

dd74
09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
I have rack mounts .

I attach the rear light with a "C" clamp to the rack mounts.
My battery is in a larger "tool" kit bag. The bag is looped thru
the seat-post.

In the front, I store in a Brooks leather bag, battery and tool kit.
Which Brooks bag do you use in the front and/or back? I looked on the Brooks website and saw several bags.

Not the Slowest
09-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Mounting on stem or under Top tube based on bike.
To keep the battery from slipping try 2 things either will work.

a) Buy another velcro starp about 8" long and wrap around the entire unit. This works well. You can also take a small piece and wrap it behind or ahead of the battery Stem or TT so it will not move. Truthfully, Mine NEVER move.

b) Another option is take a piece of bike tube and slip the velcro strap through it. The tube could be 2-3" long and this will stop the unit from wiggle, jiggle or sliding.

Rob

dd74
09-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. By the way, is anyone fearful the batteries might damage their frame, especially when wrapped tight on the top tube and while riding on rough roads that jiggle the batteries around?

Not the Slowest
09-22-2011, 04:20 PM
If you are REALLY worried, wrap it in a sock tube, cut off the foot portion.

Len J
09-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. By the way, is anyone fearful the batteries might damage their frame, especially when wrapped tight on the top tube and while riding on rough roads that jiggle the batteries around?

My Dinotte front battery has a rubber cushion on it...I'm not worried at all.

Len

Ahneida Ride
09-22-2011, 05:10 PM
I use in front .

Which Brooks bag do you use in the front and/or back? I looked on the Brooks website and saw several bags.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2VqFEXbONyUQlbKJp_6EnBW3aIAFvb CcHgZRLRz29Lga31huxWw

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=brooks+leather+bag&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8367697730421281101&sa=X&ei=e7F7ToDbGYfy0gGD9szCAg&ved=0CEkQ8wIwBQ

see link above

Brooks Challenge Bag (holds battery pack + mini tool kit. )

Ahneida Ride
09-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Image of battery pack on seat tube

Dinotte tail light attached via C clamp + 2 rubber washers to rack mount.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=27395

I hope this helps ...

I used a Top peak mini tool bag to contain the battery.

dd74
09-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Image of battery pack on seat tube

Dinotte tail light attached via C clamp + 2 rubber washers to rack mount.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=27395

I hope this helps ...

I used a Top peak mini tool bag to contain the battery.
Hey, that helps. I tried one of those Brooks bags yesterday at my LBS. The loops were spaced to wide for the loops on my Brooks Swift. Too bad, as it's a cool bag.

I ended up getting two little bags for the batteries - one for the top tube, sort of like a Bento box, and a small tube bag for the seat. I think I'm set now.

Ahneida Ride
09-23-2011, 01:36 PM
I use the Brooks bag up front .... looped around my handle bars.

russ46
09-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I keep mine in a Jandd stem bag. The one I have is the FSBZ which has a zipper on top. Works well & is easier to get the battery out of the bag for recharging then when it was strapped to the top tube.

NateM
09-23-2011, 10:52 PM
If you elect to use a rear light along with your front light, throw the batt in the seat bag.I use a simple 2 cell batt which powers the Dinotte 400 front and rear,easy 2 hr run time on high (strobe mode in rear,high beam front)