View Full Version : Ford builds a bike?

scooter01
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Well I was wondering what the future of bikes would be last week,
here is another glimpse:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/09/22/ford-builds-bicycle/

Elefantino
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
"Ford has no plans to produce the E-Bike but will continue studying the concept along with other future mobility solutions."

If they do they can get Cancellara as a spokesperson.

dd74
09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
$2,500 to $9,000? May as well get a motorcycle if one needs a motor.

johnnymossville
09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
That actually looks pretty good.

cmg
09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
"An 11-speed internal gear hub resides in the rear and is connected to the pedals via a Carbon Belt Drive System. A computer automatically engages and disengages the motor as needed, similar to the way a hybrid car works. Maximum combined range is over 50 miles per 4-hour charge."

Great, from the description Ford is already thinking about how to make it more complicated and expensive to repair. i would imagine the useless 4 hr charge battery will be difficult to replace. why would anyone buy it? there's to many better options. for the cost you could buy a used Honda.

johnnymossville
09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
$2,500 to $9,000? May as well get a motorcycle if one needs a motor.

I would think if built on a assembly line in mexico or some other non-union shop Ford could get the price down to a minimum.

ultraman6970
09-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Hope the bike doesnt have electrical problems or issues with the a/c.

staggerwing
09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
"An 11-speed internal gear hub resides in the rear and is connected to the pedals via a Carbon Belt Drive System. A computer automatically engages and disengages the motor as needed, similar to the way a hybrid car works. Maximum combined range is over 50 miles per 4-hour charge."

Great, from the description Ford is already thinking about how to make it more complicated and expensive to repair. i would imagine the useless 4 hr charge battery will be difficult to replace. why would anyone buy it? there's to many better options. for the cost you could buy a used Honda.

You realize that Shimano just happens to make a disc brake and belt drive compatible, oil bathed, 11-speed IGH, for less than $600? Here (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=38447) is an example. No Honda transmission it going to be available for that dollar amount.

cmg
09-22-2011, 03:01 PM
You realize that Shimano just happens to make a disc brake and belt drive compatible, oil bathed, 11-speed IGH, for less than $600? Here (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=38447) is an example. No Honda transmission it going to be available for that dollar amount.

thanks for the link. i notice the description doesn't say rebuildable so i'm assuming it's not. typical, bearing fails, pin wears out, oil gets dirty, "c" key pops off, replace the unit. Cool technology. for someone else.

Germany_chris
09-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Most of the shops I frequent do brisk e-bike business. They sell mostly to older folks from what I've seen, they can go back to picking up their groceries by bike vs. the car they use now.

dd74
09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
But can't you also retrofit a motor into a frame of an existing bike? I remember that whole Cancellara controversy, and how the media actually researched a company that makes tiny motors that go in the bottom bracket. A German company I think it was, owned by a woman.