PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay question X vs Zero

Mike748
09-22-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm a long time X2 user, thinking about trying Zeros next go round.

I have a question for those who have ridden both - do the Zeros take more effort to release than X's? I like the low release force of the X's. Are Zeros the same or more like SPD/Look requiring a bit of a jerk to release?

oldpotatoe
09-22-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm a long time X2 user, thinking about trying Zeros next go round.

I have a question for those who have ridden both - do the Zeros take more effort to release than X's? I like the low release force of the X's. Are Zeros the same or more like SPD/Look requiring a bit of a jerk to release?

Since you are attached to the cleat ring and that rotates in the cleat, I'd say the release force required for Zeros is higher than X series. There is a 'Easy release' version of Zeros tho.

Pete Serotta
09-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Since you are attached to the cleat ring and that rotates in the cleat, I'd say the release force required for Zeros is higher than X series. There is a 'Easy release' version of Zeros tho.

Zero is more effort in and out. But works well. PETE

mgm777
09-22-2011, 09:37 AM
I have owned both and am currently riding Zeros.
Based on my experience, if the Zeros are adjusted to allow lots of float, they are more difficult to clip in/out of compared to Xs. However, if you adjust your Zeros to allow limited float, they are easier, and in my opinion, just as easy as the Xs to get out of. I have mine adjusted for minimal float because I prefer a more fixed position with less float. Never had a problem getting in or out of mine.

toaster
09-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Zero's take more effort in and out. X-Series were easier but I switched because I didn't like the round wire spring wearing notches in the underside of the aluminum plate. The flat spring of the Zeros must be able to last longer and not wear against the plate as much.

rjfr
09-22-2011, 05:10 PM
I've used both and still ride with both. The Xs are easier to engage and disengage, but I prefer the Zeros for the feel. I have them mounted to both of my road bikes. I use the Xs on my city bike. The Zeros feel more solid. Both work just fine. I've used the Xs for close to 20 years on various road bikes with no issues and the Zeros for the past 2 years.

The Zeros have been more of a challenge to engage and disengage at times, especially if the cleats are dirty. Not enough to make me feel the need to change back to Xs. I've found myself a couple of times in the situation of falling over due to the inability to disengage with the Zeros. Mostly due to being tired and lacking brain function. Just something to keep in mind. With the Xs, there has never been a problem.

Mike748
09-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Guys, thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try a set on my new bike.

1centaur
09-22-2011, 06:15 PM
While I agree Xs are easier than Zeros to disengage from, I have been riding Zeros for years and NEVER find them hard to disengage from (more like Xs are exceptionally easy). In those periods when I tried Looks for a few weeks on the trainer, I found them slightly harder than Zeros to disengage from.

dsb
09-23-2011, 04:31 AM
There is a 'Easy release' version of Zeros tho.
and that would be?

firerescuefin
09-23-2011, 04:43 AM
and that would be?

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.lightaction

dsb
09-23-2011, 04:47 AM
^^^ Will the 'Light Action' cleats work with Zero pedals?

Mike748
09-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Speedplay says no.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2011, 08:59 AM
^^^ Will the 'Light Action' cleats work with Zero pedals?

I put the light action spring into a normal set of Zero cleats and they worked fine. Haven't tried the whole cleat tho. I'm thinking they will.

dsb
09-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I put the light action spring into a normal set of Zero cleats and they worked fine. Haven't tried the whole cleat tho. I'm thinking they will.
So it is the spring that's different? The 'Track' pedal that they sell supposedly requires more force to release than the regular Zero, but it uses the normal Zero cleat... Presumably the bowtie is different...

oldpotatoe
09-23-2011, 01:18 PM
So it is the spring that's different? The 'Track' pedal that they sell supposedly requires more force to release than the regular Zero, but it uses the normal Zero cleat... Presumably the bowtie is different...

I think the insets on the track pedal are deeper...I got some Light Action pedals and sold none, so don't carry them, so my experience is limited.

Mike748
09-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Zeros installed. Wow, they are hard to get into (and out of) the first couple of times but then they get better. Float is not a free as the X's, but I imagine they'll loosen up with use.

1centaur
09-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Make sure you spray some dry lube on the cleat every 5 or 6 rides and that your cleats are not screwed on too tight (follow Speedplay's directions exactly and use blue Loctite rather than extra turns on the screws) in order to get the easiest entry and exit from Zeros.